You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs@Indian River Reptile Zoo

Started by suspsy, July 30, 2015, 06:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

The Indian River Reptile Zoo is located along Highway 7 just outside of Peterborough, Ontario. It's fairly small, but they've almost completed work on a second building to house all their crocodilians. I'm looking forward to seeing that next summer. And for the past three years, they've been featuring animatronic dinosaurs. These photos were taken in 2013 and 2015. Don't know what I did with my 2014 photos, but if I find them, I'll add them here.

Citipati

3841E714-5941-4B08-AED2-26B698BDC40E_zpsaalnrcqb by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

CEC30554-F18F-4737-8639-34647FCB2617_zps5izqy266 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Quetzalcoatlus with extremely dubious wings.

67D04AA2-CC3B-4CC4-A113-08AFA6FB5BBE_zpsz0noed5v by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Baby Allosaurus.

77E437E0-64D5-4AFF-A52C-9B96211479B0_zpsxalofmcq by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Pachycephalosaurus.

D555575A-E5D7-49F5-B320-437C8BD55F76_zpsgt5bdb6x by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Irritator.

576327B2-E1F1-449D-89B8-F534C33F7388_zpsualwipoy by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Water-squirting Dilophosaurus. Thanks, JP.

F9324764-6DA5-4362-A35A-0845FB113C9A_zpshttpna4m by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Amargasaurus.

0DC43664-994D-4EDB-AD3B-C4BF22838299_zpslwubf8ly by Suspsy Three, on Flickr
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

suspsy

suspsy

The gift shop at this place easily surpasses many of the ones at major museums.

665EF8F6-569A-46B5-B55F-ACFD71A9773F_zps0cbzfsg8 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

And here's what really pleases me: one of the few CollectA retail displays I've come across in Ontario. Nothing past 2013, but still. There's also a good Papo display.

05A5C343-5FC3-4A33-9AFE-12506F063E79_zpsul3r4gxp by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Viking Spawn

suspsy

It is. Dinosaurs aside, they have a wide variety of venomous snakes including pit vipers, cobras, and mambas, pythons, monitor lizards, freshwater turtles, alligators, an American crocodile, and a couple of young saltwater crocodiles. And as I noted in my first post, the place will be even bigger by the end of the summer. I usually stop by there on my annual trips to Toronto.

http://reptilezoo.org/

Halichoeres

Surreal! I've never seen CollectA on a store shelf.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wow..that Brachio is bigger than I ever thought.

suspsy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 31, 2015, 02:27:24 AM

Yep. Also very ugly and outdated. I don't know why CollectA doesn't just discontinue a bunch of their older figures.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on July 31, 2015, 03:43:03 AM

Yep. Also very ugly and outdated. I don't know why CollectA doesn't just discontinue a bunch of their older figures.

True. But it's kinda retro and now I sorta want it..lol I always thought it was smaller...size matters.. ;D

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 31, 2015, 03:50:04 AM

True. But it's kinda retro and now I sorta want it..lol I always thought it was smaller...size matters.. ;D

I could sell you mine.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on July 31, 2015, 04:18:52 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 31, 2015, 03:50:04 AM

I could sell you mine.

I'll think on it bud!

Meso-Cenozoic

Just stumbled upon this thread. They have some pretty unique species there. Looks like it would be a fun place to visit.

That is one very fat T. rex! Looks like he didn't share one bit of his meal with anyone else. Hehe! He also has some pretty stumpy legs, and of course the usual pronated hands. But then again, they all seem to. Seems like such a simple thing to get right, but so many still don't. But I still like a lot of the designs and color patterns. Thanks for sharing these! :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on August 07, 2015, 08:06:41 AM
Just stumbled upon this thread. They have some pretty unique species there. Looks like it would be a fun place to visit.

That is one very fat T. rex! Looks like he didn't share one bit of his meal with anyone else. Hehe! He also has some pretty stumpy legs, and of course the usual pronated hands. But then again, they all seem to. Seems like such a simple thing to get right, but so many still don't. But I still like a lot of the designs and color patterns. Thanks for sharing these! :)

Most of these use Dinamation molds still..maybe tweaked but still Dinamation from around the 90's.  The Rex had a REALLY deep belly/pelvis to accommodate the hydraulics that lift the entire animal up if I recall correctly.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 07, 2015, 08:18:38 AM

Most of these use Dinamation molds still..maybe tweaked but still Dinamation from around the 90's.  The Rex had a REALLY deep belly/pelvis to accommodate the hydraulics that lift the entire animal up if I recall correctly.

Oh wow, the '90s? That would explain some of their retro look I guess. But even in the '90s we knew about pronation, right? Hehe! Then again, some of the toy companies today still get that wrong. :P

Ahh, interesting about the Rex. It would be cool to see these in action. I can't remember the last time I saw a Dinamaiton Park.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on August 07, 2015, 08:28:58 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 07, 2015, 08:18:38 AM

Oh wow, the '90s? That would explain some of their retro look I guess. But even in the '90s we knew about pronation, right? Hehe! Then again, some of the toy companies today still get that wrong. :P

Ahh, interesting about the Rex. It would be cool to see these in action. I can't remember the last time I saw a Dinamaiton Park.
'

Sadly you won't be finding many Dinamation exhibits anymore, the company went bankrupt in 2001 and their exhibits were cast to the winds. Some landed in museums here and there , Billings bought most of the company's current stock ( the company putting on this show) and the rest were tossed in dumpsters.

You can check a page run on facebook here one of the galleries has a list of places that still have them.
https://www.facebook.com/Dinamation

HD-man

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 07, 2015, 09:35:33 AMSadly you won't be finding many Dinamation exhibits anymore, the company went bankrupt in 2001 and their exhibits were cast to the winds. Some landed in museums here and there , Billings bought most of the company's current stock ( the company putting on this show) and the rest were tossed in dumpsters.

You can check a page run on facebook here one of the galleries has a list of places that still have them.
https://www.facebook.com/Dinamation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvjVFxMQpxI
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

suspsy

Well, I've replaced the images in this thread. I'll be visiting Indian River again this Friday and apparently there's some new animatronic dinosaurs this year, so I'll be adding those photos when I return. :)

Have to say again how furious I am with Photobucket. I don't know if it's even worth going to all the trouble of replacing the hundreds of museum photos I posted here on the forum. Or if I'll even have the time. Photobucket can seriously go to hell. >:(

suspsy

'Twas a nice weekend. Here's a shot of the main building at the IRRZ, which houses the snakes, lizards, and turtles. Behind it on the hill is their crocodilian house.

IMG_2293 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

The CollectA display is now gone, alas. The remaining figures, all old ones, are on the shelves with other assorted toys. But there's a really sweet Papo display.

Untitled by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Ride-on Dilophosaurus.

IMG_2317 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Carnotaurus with a broken tail.

IMG_2318 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

A very lame Pteranodon. Reminds me of the big one from Recur.

IMG_2319 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Tyrannosaurus rex chomping on a yummy morsel.

IMG_2320 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IMG_2321 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

And a chunky baby T. rex.

IMG_2324 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

The baby Rex actually looks the best out of whats there, sort of a scaled down adult.   One thing that bugs me..well there are a few..  , is this same company seems to always feel the need to put the same teeth in all the theropod's mouths.

suspsy

A fairly impressive Brachiosaurus, about 25-30 feet tall.

IMG_2322 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr
IMG_2323 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr
IMG_2347 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr
IMG_2328 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Triceratops skeleton.

IMG_2325 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Shunosaurus skeleton.

IMG_2329 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Carbonemys looks on with disapproval as a featherless dromaeosaur eyes its eggs.

IMG_2331 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr
IMG_2332 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: