News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

WANTED: Brown Papo Running Tyrannosaurus

Started by Viking Spawn, September 04, 2015, 06:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking Spawn

Offering up a $500 bounty to anyone willing to sell me one that is in mint/displayed only condition.  Call me crazy, but I would really love own this lovely piece.  So spread the word and thanks in advance.

I'm a big fan of the T-Rex and of Papo's products.   ;)

PM me please if you're willing to sell me one or know of someone who will.   ;)

Doug Watson

You know its your money but like Invicta Hunter pointed out in the Most Wanted thread Papo will probably come out with a mass produced brown variant eventually. As IH said they did it for the other adult and baby and they also repainted the Velociraptor so it seems likely. Even if they realize it has become a hot collectible they may decide to cash in themselves in extra sales.
I have been searching myself and was prepared to spent a bunch if not as much as you but after reading what IH wrote I have have decided to hold off since it could really take a beating value wise and if they did bring out a brown one for the masses I probably wouldn't buy it either since it will no longer be rare. Anyway that is my unsolicited advice and after all it is your money.

Halichoeres

That whooshing sound you hear is all the forum's customizers running out to buy green running rexes and brown paint. ;)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Viking Spawn

LOL Halichoeres.   :))

I hope your right Doug.   So far, my search has come up empty anyways.  I have a hunch my money isn't going anywhere soon.   :-\

Kayakasaurus

Have you considered sending the green Rex to a painter like Martin Garratt to give it a brown color scheme? He would probably do a much better job than a factory done one.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on September 04, 2015, 05:02:26 PM
Have you considered sending the green Rex to a painter like Martin Garratt to give it a brown color scheme? He would probably do a much better job than a factory done one.

Actually no.  That is an option if no one accepts my offer down the road.  Still remaining hopeful.   

Simon

Quote from: Viking Spawn on September 04, 2015, 06:47:26 PM
Quote from: Kayakasaurus on September 04, 2015, 05:02:26 PM

Actually no.  That is an option if no one accepts my offer down the road.  Still remaining hopeful.   

Well, it would save you probably $350 and the paint job would be better than the one they did at the factory, so ... some food for thought there ...  ;D

Doug Watson

Another thing that might be worth trying is asking Papo to bring a brown version out. You might be surprised to know these companies sometimes don't realize how collectible some of their toys get. Unlike us they aren't on eBay checking for rare pieces. Safari Ltd have been pleasantly surprised when I have informed them of high prices being paid for some of their OOP toys on eBay. I can't find a Facebook page for them but you can contact them here http://www.papo-france.com/en/page/services_clients/boite_idees and suggest a brown version for the masses. The more people that make the suggestion the better.

Doug Watson

Viking Spawn

Thanks Doug!  I'll have to throw that suggestion over there too.  Let's hope the fan power works. 

@ Simon... I may do that as a last resort.  There are a lot of repainted knock offs on eBay at the moment too.  However, I don't like taking money from a legitimate company like Papo by buying a stolen sculpt.

Doug Watson

For what its worth I received a response from the suggestion I made on the Papo website for a mass produced brown running T rex. It certainly would be an easy addition. Here is their response.

Dear Doug,

We thank you for your email and for your interest in our Dinosaurs range.
It's always a pleasure to receive suggestions from our fans.
Each year, Papo launch new figurines, and we will not miss to consider your suggestions about a brown running T-rex.

Best regards.

Papo team.

Viking Spawn

Then perhaps their is still hope?! 

Thank you for doing that Doug!   :)

Ikessauro

A repaint is not the same as an original limited edition piece. It's my opinion anyway. People mostly want something like this T.rex because of it's rarity I guess, not just the color. The Brown Papo Running T.rex is nice, but the paint scheme is very simple, unimaginative. Any of the artists from the forum are well talented and could do a much better job painting a Papo rex, but that doesn't have the originality and rarity of the factory produced model.

Exclusivity sells...

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 09, 2015, 06:27:58 AM
A repaint is not the same as an original limited edition piece. It's my opinion anyway. People mostly want something like this T.rex because of it's rarity I guess, not just the color. The Brown Papo Running T.rex is nice, but the paint scheme is very simple, unimaginative. Any of the artists from the forum are well talented and could do a much better job painting a Papo rex, but that doesn't have the originality and rarity of the factory produced model.

Exclusivity sells...

I have to agree. Sending a green Rex to Martin Garratt would be even better.

Edit: I didn't mean to suggest the same thing twice, I forgot I had already committed. Sorry   :P
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Doug Watson

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 09, 2015, 06:27:58 AM

Exclusivity sells...

Exactly! And that is my dilemma if Papo actually takes my suggestion and produces a mass produced brown version, would I still buy it? I already have the green version which I bought because it looked like V rex and I only got interested in the brown version when I heard about the limited run of brown ones, it was rare! So I scour eBay looking for a rare score because I like rare items. If they bring it out as a regular run where is the draw for me? In the end because I am an old fashioned man of principal I will buy one since I suggested it to them. I know its silly but that is the way I am, if someone does something I ask and if I have the means I will live up to my side of the bargain. And if they do bring one out my apologies to anyone who paid a premium for the limited run version. :-\

Ikessauro

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 09, 2015, 12:22:37 PM
Exactly! And that is my dilemma if Papo actually takes my suggestion and produces a mass produced brown version, would I still buy it? I already have the green version which I bought because it looked like V rex and I only got interested in the brown version when I heard about the limited run of brown ones, it was rare! So I scour eBay looking for a rare score because I like rare items. If they bring it out as a regular run where is the draw for me? In the end because I am an old fashioned man of principal I will buy one since I suggested it to them. I know its silly but that is the way I am, if someone does something I ask and if I have the means I will live up to my side of the bargain. And if they do bring one out my apologies to anyone who paid a premium for the limited run version. :-\

I don't think anyone has ever paid loads of cash in one. I certainly did not. They are so rare that none has sold on eBay as far as I know. I guess we few people who managed to grab one did so when everyone else wasn't interested in it. When I saw the brown rex for the first time here, I loved it. I wanted it and decided to buy one. There was no rush. But then, I heard rumors from a friend of mine (she has a toy store online) here in Brazil who at that time was in touch with a person overseas who supplied her with figures. She told me that for some reason the new t.rex was going to be green and the old one would be repainted.
That was the clue i needed to grab mine asap. I put two and two together, figured that it would become a rare toy, a very limited edition. I tried to order from Mastermind toys, with no luck. Then I found out that a French member of the forum had found a store in France which had a few brown T.rexes. I asked him to buy one for me, paid the price and now it sits proudly in my Papo collection. I guess it was 26 or 29 euros or so.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 09, 2015, 05:40:25 PM
I don't think anyone has ever paid loads of cash in one. I certainly did not.

Well then, if my request is granted my apologies to anyone who bought one as an investment.

tyrantqueen

I don't really see the big deal about this toy, no offense to anyone. If it's a case of liking the brown colour better, it would be easy to just repaint the green Tyrannosaurus. I'm not really crazy about this sculpt, either, since it's based on fantasy.

But anyway, I wish you luck in your search and I hope you find what you're looking for. With a little luck Papo may rerelease this colour again in future if there is enough demand.

joossa

Interesting thread, guys. Comparatively speaking, do we know if the Papo Raptor v1 is less rare? I'm assuming so? Do we know how long it was available for?

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 09, 2015, 07:50:39 PM
I don't really see the big deal about this toy, no offense to anyone. If it's a case of liking the brown colour better, it would be easy to just repaint the green Tyrannosaurus. I'm not really crazy about this sculpt, either, since it's based on fantasy.
The color or the rarity or a combination of both as discussed above.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Ikessauro

Quote from: joossa on September 09, 2015, 08:37:00 PM
Interesting thread, guys. Comparatively speaking, do we know if the Papo Raptor v1 is less rare? I'm assuming so? Do we know how long it was available for?

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 09, 2015, 07:50:39 PM
The color or the rarity or a combination of both as discussed above.

There's no big deal actually. The color is pretty boring actually. Although the thrill of the hunt for something this rare makes it desirable. The Papo Brown raptor is much more common. It was available for about five years, from 2005 to 2010, when the repaint came out. There's plenty of them out there, it's just a matter of being at the right eBay search/page at the right time.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: