News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

If you could mix the pros of toy lines, what wonders could you make?

Started by Shuvuuia, September 05, 2015, 01:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shuvuuia

If you could take any positive traits from a specific line and add them into another line, what kind of awesome models do you think we could see?

For example:

Battats with the detailing of Papo.

Schleichs with the accuracy of Kaiyodos.

Favorites with the availability of Carnegies.

Mix and match as much as you want. What is the best combination of traits you could put together to make the "ideal" dinosaur toy in all aspects?

Conversely, if you're feeling spiteful, make the worst possible toy.

Takama

Everyone would band together and create the ultimate Toy-line featuring thousands of Creatures that were never graced by plastic

Simon

Quote from: Shuvuuia on September 05, 2015, 01:28:53 AM
If you could take any positive traits from a specific line and add them into another line, what kind of awesome models do you think we could see?

For example:

*SNIP*

I don't have to.

Carnegie ALREADY DID.  More than once.

*Ba-Dum-Bum!!*   ;D ;D ;D

John

For example:

Schleichs with the accuracy of Kaiyodos.

Favorites with the availability of Carnegies.

Mix and match as much as you want. What is the best combination of traits you could put together to make the "ideal" dinosaur toy in all aspects?

That availability won't last that long! ;)
The best aspects of currently active lines?Papo's painting and production values with Kaiyodo,Battat and the latest Wild Safari line's accuracy with the availability of Schleich! ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Rain

The children aimed Sleichs with the paint application of Battats(ceratosaurus specifically)
Over-priced chinasaurs ! >:D

John

The worst?How about knock offs of Geo World's line?That would be knock offs of knock offs! >:D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Halichoeres

As punctilious as Kaiyodo, as prolific as CollectA, as finely wrought as Battat, as cheap as Safari, as widely distributed as Schleich, as taxonomically adventurous as Bullyland, as polished as Papo.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

1) Bases like Favorite,
2) Color schemes and accuracy (or, as Halichoeres put it, " punctiliousness") like Kaiyodo. Refer to modern palaeoartists, rather than only palaeontologists. Willoughby, Hartman, Witton, Conway, Martyniuk - the "who's who" of visualizing palaeobiological hypotheses.
3) Diversity and "speculative" attitude like CollectA,
4) Details like Papo/REBOR (or frankly, Doug's latest pieces for Safari - they're just as detailed, but factory paint lets 'em down.)
5) Variable scales depending on the size of the animal, so as each one is big enough to appreciate without a magnifier and small enough to spare some shelf space.
6) And seriously, no visible fenestrae and no maniraptoran primaries attached at the wrists  ::)
7) If all that were covered, I would scarcely care what they cost - but since we're dreaming, I'll nick Schleich's market saturation and price points as well!

Takama

Quote from: Patrx on September 05, 2015, 06:14:34 AM
1) Bases like Favorite,
2) Color schemes and accuracy (or, as Halichoeres put it, " punctiliousness") like Kaiyodo. Refer to modern palaeoartists, rather than only palaeontologists. Willoughby, Hartman, Witton, Conway, Martyniuk - the "who's who" of visualizing palaeobiological hypotheses.
3) Diversity and "speculative" attitude like CollectA,
4) Details like Papo/REBOR (or frankly, Doug's latest pieces for Safari - they're just as detailed, but factory paint lets 'em down.)
5) Variable scales depending on the size of the animal, so as each one is big enough to appreciate without a magnifier and small enough to spare some shelf space.
6) And seriously, no visible fenestrae and no maniraptoran primaries attached at the wrists  ::)
7) If all that were covered, I would scarcely care what they cost - but sense we're dreaming, I'll nick Schleich's market saturation and price points as well!

I agree with all of these.

With my line(the Animasaurus Collection)    The main Scale is 1:32, but there are other scales to represent smaller animals.   I wish some companey could follow in my lead. Have a Main Scale, and have a Secondary scale, and in some cases one off models that are out of scale with the rest.

Relly i want a line with the Diversity of Geoworld, but with the Detail of Rebor/Papo, and none of the mentality of Schelich who releases the same blasted species every other year.

tyrantqueen

Detail and liveliness of Papo.
Colours and accuracy of Kaiyodo
Speculation of CollectA
Removable bases of Favorite

Dobber

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 05, 2015, 01:04:21 PM
Detail and liveliness of Papo.
Colours and accuracy of Kaiyodo
Speculation of CollectA
Removable bases of Favorite

I agree with this. I would also add the paint application of REBOR. As someone else pointed out already, good sculpts can be ruined by poor paint application, and like them or not, REBOR. Does do a good job with their Factory paintwork.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Dinoguy2

For example:

Just to comment, this is what I definitely would not want to see. Papo/Rebor is very detailed, but inaccurately so. Most scaly dinosaurs had tiny, fine, pebbly scales, which would be barely visible in 1:40 size models... exactly what you see in Battat. The Wild Safari Gryposaurus is also a good example of what accurate scale detailing should look like. Papo figures are extremely OVER detailed for their size.

Take the Carnotaurus - the detailing is similar to the real thing, which famously has wonderful skin impressions, but over-exaggerated the shape, size, and spikiness of the scales and scutes to make it look more dramatic and allow more sculpted detail. The Battat Carno, on the other hand, is a near perfect replica of Czerkas' model based directly on the fossils. Much of the detail is necessarily lost due to the small scale.

All of those croc-like rectangular crises and scales covering every inch of the Papo look amazing for their level of detail but they're wrong. It's detail for details' sake.

The Carnegie one is just as accurate, and more detailed, but that's because it's a much larger figure than either Papo or Battat.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

stargatedalek

-The production value of REBOR and the liberal accuracy of CollectA.
-The exact same products of Schleich but with Chinasaur prices.
-The art style of Papo and REBOR with the film licensing of Hasbro.

To be fair while creating the perfect combination would be cool, I like to see each line doing their own thing (except Schleich, no one should use the word "like" near those attempts at dinosaurs...). Safari does prioritize accuracy on a more conservative route. CollectA are more liberal in their science and have a lot more novelty things like deluxe lines and such. Papo makes sculpts that look like they walked off the big screen (I'd like to see them focus on that and go more places with it). Kaiyodo has been doing what they have for a long time and updating (some of) their molds as they go. And REBOR seems to be aiming for a wider variety in their catalog, some sculpts being much like Papo and others less so, and with their fair share of novelty lines too.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.