News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Your preference for detailed/high-end figures of therapods

Started by gfxtwin, September 11, 2015, 11:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you rather have:

figure that can stand without base at expense of accurate proportions like feet size or accurate positions (standing in tripod pose instead of horizontal, bent tails, etc for balance)
7 (24.1%)
Proportions as accurate as possible at the expense of figure being able to stand without base.  Might include a support rod or pegged bases
22 (75.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

gfxtwin

wondering what the stats are

Newt

Takama

Quote from: Newt on September 12, 2015, 03:22:47 AM
I'm all about that base.

As am I

I rather have a Base on my Model Dinosaurs, so it will garentee that it will never topple over

joossa

I generally don't like my figures being confined to a base unless they are a statue and/or really high-end and appealing to me. And if the model is not super appealing to me, the base can turn me off to the figure. For example, CollectA's new feathered Rex is nice, but to me, the base looks like generic mush to me and made me pass on it. If the figure is going to have to depend on the base, the base better be of the same caliber as the figure.

In the majority of cases, I prefer large feet as long as the figure can stand on it's own. Tripod poses for theropods are not my favorite, but I generally don't mind them since being confined to a base will usually yield more negative points in my eyes.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Shonisaurus

I like theropod dinosaurs baseless and without artificially sustain as long as they remain permanently erect. Otherwise I prefer dinosaurs baseless.

Hopefully the arrival of Acrocanthosaurus Rebor. So I can say. Of course in Deinocheirus models Rajasaurus and Mapusaurus of Collecta, I keep plastic bases, but would fall.

tyrantqueen

My first preference is for rods and/or bases. I don't want the artistic integrity of the sculpt tampered with, which is what I believe happens when the artist has to enlarge the feet to get it to stand. Either that, or I can tolerate a tripod if it's done well (not will the tail dragging in the dirt, but the kind of thing you see on the newer Carnegies) because, as we've discussed, a slight tripod may have been possible in real life.

I don't like clown footed theropods. Thankfully they seem to be becoming less and less common these days.

QuoteI'm all about that base.

;D

Shonisaurus

I completely agree with tyrantqueen to me not like dinosaurs with clown feet.

Moreover I do not have the slightest inconvenience as I am for the survey said that the theropod dinosaur remains with a whisk or a removable base.

Over the toy I like the artistic theropod dinosaur.

tanystropheus

I do not like CollectA bases.

I feel as if I have to go the extra mile and glue some moss and sedimentation on it. I'm not going to the arts and crafts store each and every time I pick up a CollectA. Sorry.

REBOR bases are perfect. Aesthetic and removable. Also jigsaw design. Once they improve model stability (and base-model stability), I have no further issues.

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 12, 2015, 01:58:16 PM
I don't like clown footed theropods. Thankfully they seem to be becoming less and less common these days

That usually bugs me too. Personally I would rather have a more accurate model that falls over all the time than one that stands on its own with goofy looking feet. I think I'd even prefer the tripod over clown feet. Though I ain't all about that base, it still are belong to us  ;)
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean

Viking Spawn

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 12, 2015, 03:20:30 PM
I do not like CollectA bases.

I feel as if I have to go the extra mile and glue some moss and sedimentation on it. I'm not going to the arts and crafts store each and every time I pick up a CollectA. Sorry.

REBOR bases are perfect. Aesthetic and removable. Also jigsaw design. Once they improve model stability (and base-model stability), I have no further issues.

I agree with you about Rebor which is also one of the reasons I love their products.  I think in due time they will perfect the stability issue.  They are still growing and learning. 

Dinoguy2

My first preference is for rods and/or bases. I don't want the artistic integrity of the sculpt tampered with, which is what I believe happens when the artist has to enlarge the feet to get it to stand. Either that, or I can tolerate a tripod if it's done well (not will the tail dragging in the dirt, but the kind of thing you see on the newer Carnegies) because, as we've discussed, a slight tripod may have been possible in real life.

Not to derail or re start another discussion, but what about a tripod would make it even slightly impossible? None of the modern tripod figures I have are in an impossible posture, no dislocated tail angles like the old fashioned kangaroo style Iguanodon mounts, etc. The tails are still held in a pretty straight line, the animal is simply tilted back at the hip. A full tripod was 100% possible in real life, just not with a kangaroo tail.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on September 12, 2015, 06:18:31 PM

Not to derail or re start another discussion, but what about a tripod would make it even slightly impossible? None of the modern tripod figures I have are in an impossible posture, no dislocated tail angles like the old fashioned kangaroo style Iguanodon mounts, etc. The tails are still held in a pretty straight line, the animal is simply tilted back at the hip. A full tripod was 100% possible in real life, just not with a kangaroo tail.
I'm not sure. I'm so used to thinking any kind of tripod = incorrect. Too much exposure to GSP I guess. But yes, I agree.

Paleona

I love having figures with accurate proportions, but I am not a fan of bases at all.  I 100% agree with Joossa- unless the model is very high end or a statue, I don't want a base. 
Not that I "play" with my dinosaur figures anymore, but it's so much more visually appealing to me if it can free stand.  Not to mention it's easier to go outside and take photos of them and pose them in different environments, which I enjoy doing. :)

Mitko

I would not mind a base as long as it's removable. The accuracy of the figure is the first thing I'm checking for unless I really like it and want to get it regardless of it's proportions. Placing a piece of clay or paper under each leg could be a solution to the standing issue on the shelf. When taking photos outside one can always find something to support the figure(s). :)

DinoLord

I would definitely prefer a base for the sake of accurate proportions. If I'm getting a pricey/higher-end piece, I'm not doing it to have something free-standing that I can play with or pose, but to have a beautifully sculpted piece of art to gaze upon. Most higher-end statues have bases - just look at Sideshow pieces (even those of quadrupeds). Personally the over-sized feet on the Rebor theropods are very off-putting and are the main reason why I have yet to acquire any.

Othicx

I'm really not to fussy, I can go either way on this one. As long as the figure looks pleasing and is within reason.

gfxtwin

Quote from: DinoLord on September 12, 2015, 11:21:25 PM
I would definitely prefer a base for the sake of accurate proportions. If I'm getting a pricey/higher-end piece, I'm not doing it to have something free-standing that I can play with or pose, but to have a beautifully sculpted piece of art to gaze upon. Most higher-end statues have bases - just look at Sideshow pieces (even those of quadrupeds). Personally the over-sized feet on the Rebor theropods are very off-putting and are the main reason why I have yet to acquire any.

I find the feet on the Ceratosaurus to be *slightly* oversized, and only appear so big because the toes are spaced further apart.  Has kind of a Todd Marshall quality to it, which I can let slide.  The only thing about Sideshow models and resin kits...the fragility.  I like higher-end figures too, but all it would take is one fall and its over.

stargatedalek

I don't mind bases on statues, I mind when toys try to pretend that they are statues and use irremovable bases.

Megalosaurus

I've always thinked that if the real animal can stand by its own with much more weight, then the models we made are wrong (May be in posture, may be in the way we flesh them).
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Patrx

Bases, bases everywhere! I regard "toy" figures as statues that just happen to be made of PVC instead of resin ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: