News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Takamas Question Thread

Started by Takama, September 27, 2015, 02:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Well All of our scaly Dinosaurs will be scaly like this.   

Takama

Okf i was doing a random Image serch until i found this image

Yes i know it was done as a Joke to prove a point, but Scott said in that blog post that this Pose is possible in the skeleton, but its highly unlikely that a Allosaurus can pull it off without serious injurey.

But I got to wondering. Can this pose be applied to a Swimming Spinosaur? In Particular Irritator which may or may not have had a sail.

stargatedalek

It could even be applied to a swimming allosaur if you wanted to. Really the only reason it couldn't be achieved naturally is that it wouldn't be possible for an allosaur to lift itself up with one arm, if it landed on one arm or was suspended (such as by water) that's how it would look.

AcroSauroTaurus

That pose would look good for a swimming Irritator. I say go for it! Although for it to have a purpose for going underwater, You should have it chasing a fish.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Takama

Im thinking of doing it for a Spinosaurus. Since we are uncertain of how the thing walked.

As for my Therizinosaurus Would it be able to run like this

AcroSauroTaurus

I'd say its possible. Maybe at least 15-20mph, but possible.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Takama

Ok is Hadrosaurus a Nomen Dubium?

I read on Wikipedia that it was, but it was proven valid, but according to the Dinosaur Genera list. It is.

http://www.polychora.com/dinolist.html#H

HD-man

Quote from: Takama on January 26, 2016, 10:41:04 PMAs for my Therizinosaurus Would it be able to run like this

Not really a run so much as a waddle, but yes.

Quote from: Takama on January 28, 2016, 09:23:24 PMOk is Hadrosaurus a Nomen Dubium?

I read on Wikipedia that it was, but it was proven valid, but according to the Dinosaur Genera list. It is.

Where on Wiki? According to the Hadrosaurus page itself, "Hadrosaurus (/ˌhædrəˈsɔːrəs/;[2][3] from Greek ἁδρός, hadros, meaning "bulky" or "large", and σαῦρος, sauros, meaning "lizard")[4][5][6][7] is a valid[8] genus of hadrosaurid dinosaur."
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Takama

The wiki page said it was said to be a dubium, but then it said that a study in 2011 said it was valid again.

HD-man

Quote from: Takama on January 28, 2016, 10:02:53 PMThe wiki page said it was said to be a dubium, but then it said that a study in 2011 said it was valid again.

Yep, [8] is the 2011 study.

Takama

But tthe Dinosaur Genera list Website says its Still doubius.

I use this Website as a refrence all the time. is that bad?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Takama on January 28, 2016, 10:19:19 PM
But tthe Dinosaur Genera list Website says its Still doubius.

I use this Website as a refrence all the time. is that bad?

I think it just tames time to update. Maybe Olshevsky is also a little opinionated. Just a little. Maybe.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

AcroSauroTaurus

Hadrosaurus is indeed a valid species.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Takama

OK

I am Commissioning Someone to make a line of One of a Kind Sculpts for me, and i hope to show it off to the forum and one day donate the Collection to a Museum like the Lazendorf Collection.

I will not Say who the sculptor is, but he is pretty new to the forum and has proven to be eager to get things right on his models.

The First models i will have him do are Yangchuanosaurus, Compsugnathus, Tenotosaurus, and a Armourd Dinosaur of Some kind.

My Question lies with the Yangchuanosaurus.   Is it wise to give it full lips like on the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park?   Or would the teeth still be visable?

AcroSauroTaurus

Well, I draw my theropods with lips, but with the upper teeth partially exposed. Because its a intermediate between "croc jaws" and "mammal jaws". So that its not too inaccurate (the "croc jaws") or too speculative (the "mammal jaws").
I am the Dinosaur King!

Dinoguy2

Yes, Hadrosaurus is valid but still very fragmentary. I'd base it's appearance on Eotrachodon, which is closely related from about the same time and place (maybe a direct ancestor or descendant of hadro).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

DinoLord

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 30, 2016, 01:05:42 PM
I'd base it's appearance on Eotrachodon, which is closely related from about the same time and place (maybe a direct ancestor or descendant of hadro).

Not quite. Eotrachodon predated Hadrosaurus by at least 3 million years (possibly more depending on how old Hadrosaurus is).

Takama

Ok New idea.

I want to do a Carnotarus in the act of Canablisim. Simple idea, as this dinosaur comes from a family of Dinosaurs thats known to eat its own kind.

But is it true that Carnotarus had a jaw thats as flexible as a Snakes?   I would like to commission a Carnotarus with a baby Carnotaur Halfway in its mouth.    Would its jaws be able to handle that?

Sim

Quote from: Takama on February 05, 2016, 05:28:58 AM
I want to do a Carnotarus in the act of Canablisim. Simple idea, as this dinosaur comes from a family of Dinosaurs thats known to eat its own kind.

One abelisaurid species (Majungasaurus) is thought to have eaten members of its own species.  That doesn't mean the whole of the abelisaurid family is known to be cannibalistic.

HD-man

Quote from: Sim on February 05, 2016, 10:31:35 PMOne abelisaurid species (Majungasaurus) is thought to have eaten members of its own species.  That doesn't mean the whole of the abelisaurid family is known to be cannibalistic.

To be fair, Takama said that Carnotaurus "comes from a family of Dinosaurs thats known to eat its own kind", not that every member of that family "is known to be cannibalistic." Also, to quote Bakker ( http://blog.hmns.org/2010/03/raptors-group-hunters-or-cannibals/ ), cannibalism is "Standard Operating Procedure today. Meat is hard to come by and most carnivore species won't turn up their noses at a meal of their own kind.  Lions eat lions. Wolves eat wolves. Hyenas will eat everybody."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: