News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Takamas Question Thread

Started by Takama, September 27, 2015, 02:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

OK This is an idea i had for my line of Dinosaur models.

I was thinking of having a Juvenile Acrocanthosaurus being pinned down by a Very large Utahraptor of Equal or greater size and getting its throat stabbed with his sickle claw.

The story goes is that this is a In experienced Acro who pick the wrong Gang to steal food from, and after getting fatally wounded by the Flock of Utahraptors He drops to the ground as he trys to escape, bleading profusly, but the Alpha leader, decided to take him down for an extra meal for his gang.

The model will be a snapshot of the moment that the Utahraptor mounts the Fallen acro, and stabs him with his sickle claw before delivering the final blow to the neck.

The Utahraptor will not be an "Awsomebro" monster it will be fully feathered like something out of a Emily Willingby painting, and its arms will be tucked away like a Bird as it stands on the fallen acro.

That is my plan, and my attempted Explanation as to what happens.  My Questions are pretty much what is the plausibility of this scenario and what would the circumstances have to be, in order for a Adult Utahraptor to kill a Juvenile Acrocanthosaurus of Equal or lessor size

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Shadowknight1

Well, assuming REBOR's models are, in fact, scaled appropriately, a grown Utahraptor can definitely climb up the side of even a grown Acrocanthosaurus.  So I don't think it's too farfetched.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Takama

I think i will just make the Two Carnivoires figut each other, with the Utahraptor Pinning down the other animal.

I considered Changing the Acro to Siats, or simply another Utahraptor.   Any opinions?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 27, 2015, 04:23:48 AM
Well, assuming REBOR's models are, in fact, scaled appropriately, a grown Utahraptor can definitely climb up the side of even a grown Acrocanthosaurus.  So I don't think it's too farfetched.

I haven't seen the Rebor Acro and Utah next to each other, but here are the maximum known sizes for both:

The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Sim

Utahraptor might have been the largest predator in its habitat.  Acrocanthosaurus and Siats have only been found living millions of years after Utahraptor. The theropods known to have probably lived alongside Utahraptor are the ones found in the same formation members as Utahraptor here (the Yellow Cat and Poison Strip members): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Mountain_Formation  From the "cf." before "Acrocanthosaurus" on that page I understand Acrocanthosaurus might not be found in the Cedar Mountain Formation (the only place Utahraptor fossils have been found).  Siats is from the Cedar Mountain Formation, but it's only been found living millions of years after Utahraptor.  So I'm not sure if Utahraptor, Siats and Acrocanthosaurus would have ever met.

Regarding Utahraptor folding its arms, have you seen this?: http://dinogoss.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/know-when-to-fold-em.html  Basically, it's possible to tuck a theropod's arms back too much.  It's likely that when attacking, dromaeosaurids would have flapped their wings and used their stiff counterbalancing tail to keep balanced.

In the past you've mentioned wanting to avoid your models becoming outdated.  The only parts of Siats that have been found are some bones from the back, pelvis, tail, leg and foot.  So the parts that are most likely to look different from other animals - the head and arms/hands - aren't known.  Siats is classified as a megaraptoran, and that group is really lacking in good skull material.  Already, the recent skull material for Megaraptor is different from what anyone was expecting.  All the restorations of Siats I've seen are clearly based on Neovenator.  And it seems they may all be wrong as recent evidence and studies are finding megaraptorans are tyrannosauroids, and as Neovenator is an allosauroid it wouldn't be related to them.  Any model of Siats is likely to become inaccurate if its skull is found.

Takama

I think i will just abandon the Utahraptor VS Idea and just commission a Standard maquette of the animal.

I think i will make this the thread were i share my ideas for the line, and you all can have your input.

Other ideas I been talking to Brandon about include

A mateing pair of Tyrannosaurus Based on Stan and Sue

A Tarbosaurus and a Flock of her Babys hanging around a dead sauropod

and a Carcharadontosaurus Feasting on a Dead Spinosaurus

Rain

The Carcharadontosaurus eating the Spino idea sounds and looks (in my mind) great. You should definitely do that. The other 2 ideas sound great too, I'd love to see the Tarbo with her chicks

Takama

As for Upcoming pieces that you can see in the next few months or so are the followings

A Lythrorax walking as he sniffs the air. "The Scent of Blood is in the air, and the Gore King Knows it"

A Incisivosaurus gauthieri Showing off (With a Speculative Feather Fan on his head)

A Female Confuciusornis sanctus sitting in a nest like a normal Mother Bird would.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Takama on September 29, 2015, 02:05:20 AM

Slight problem with the former, Sue is apparently almost a million years older than Stan.

The Tarbosaurus one sounds awesome, especially if you incorporate the unpublished dewlap :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Takama

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 04, 2015, 04:19:56 AM
Quote from: Takama on September 29, 2015, 02:05:20 AM

Slight problem with the former, Sue is apparently almost a million years older than Stan.

The Tarbosaurus one sounds awesome, especially if you incorporate the unpublished dewlap :).

IS there a Problem pretending that the two individuals just coincidentally have the same features as these two, and happen to be named the same?    Or are sue and Stan two completely different animals?

I plan on Feathering All of our Tyrannosaurs, Just how much is a Question i have on my mind,    I will not make it as severely under featherd as the Rebor Yutyrannus, or as Over the top as the CollectA model. I was thinking of something like this

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Takama on October 04, 2015, 04:30:25 AM
IS there a Problem pretending that the two individuals just coincidentally have the same features as these two, and happen to be named the same?    Or are sue and Stan two completely different animals?

I plan on Feathering All of our Tyrannosaurs, Just how much is a Question i have on my mind,    I will not make it as severely under featherd as the Rebor Yutyrannus, or as Over the top as the CollectA model. I was thinking of something like this
From what I've heard, it sounds like Stan is a member of a second species of Tyrannosaurus. The "gracile-morph" Tyrannosaurus (like Stan) are all from later in time than the "robust-morph" individuals (like Sue).

Oh, I agree it should be feathered, but apparently one Tarbosaurus specimen preserved a gular pouch, but it will never be described beyond its mention (with illustrations apparently) in the books Eggs, Nests, and Baby Dinosaurs and Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs by Ken Carpenter because it was destroyed by fossil poachers.

Takama

So theres now a new Species of Tyrannosaurus Besides T.Rex?

Well In that case i just need an idea of what specimens i can pick to match Sues Species(i always wanted to do a Sue model ever since i saw Dinosaur 13)

Yutyrannus

It's quite likely, yes :).

Yeah, I'm having trouble finding specimens that could have coexisted with Sue as well, one that I could find was CM 9380.

Takama

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 04, 2015, 04:55:08 AM
It's quite likely, yes :).

Yeah, I'm having trouble finding specimens that could have coexisted with Sue as well, one that I could find was CM 9380.

The Hollotype Tyrannosaurus?   Now that would make an interesting couple. To bad it dosent have a nickname. I might name it Mr Brown in honer of his founder.

Takama

Another idea i had is a Spinosaur running across the River bottom like this

Only to step on a Giant Stingray and get stung.

I read that Giant Fresh water Stingrays have lived since the Jurassic, and there still around today. the Spinosaur i picked was Ichthyovenator, since it was an Asian Spinosaur, and Giant Stingrays are found in Asia.

tyrantqueen

QuoteSlight problem with the former, Sue is apparently almost a million years older than Stan.
That didn't stop Dinosaur Revolution/Dinotasia from using that idea. Jack Palance is based on Sue, and Stumpy is based on Stan, and I think David Krentz confirmed this somewhere. I think Junior was based on Jane but I can't recall which specimen Tinkerbelle was based on.

Takama

I never seen any of the Dinosaur Revolution Episodes, and i wish they released them on DVD so i can.

However, i Have Dinotasia, which includes the same characters, only i never knew there names.

I think im settled with Sue Mating with the Type Specimen of Tyrannosaurus. Though It would be great if i can give the type specimen a name. Any ideas?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on October 04, 2015, 06:07:03 PM
I never seen any of the Dinosaur Revolution Episodes, and i wish they released them on DVD so i can.

However, i Have Dinotasia, which includes the same characters, only i never knew there names.

I think im settled with Sue Mating with the Type Specimen of Tyrannosaurus. Though It would be great if i can give the type specimen a name. Any ideas?
I have Dinosaur Revolution on DVD. I made a conscious decision to go with DR over Dinotasia. Was DR not released on DVD in the States? That's odd.

Takama

I never seen it on Amazon USA or in stores.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: