News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victoria's Cantina

Well, I'm sold. After seeing those latest photos from urzeitshop, I'm getting the Baryonyx.

RobinGoodfellow

That's the new Baryonyx:

More pictures on my collection thread:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3228.280

Shonisaurus

Although it is a figure well done as I have repeated in other threads in this forum, unfortunately we have no toy baryonxy scientifically correct current.

JurassicGeek09

Quote from: empire3569 on February 12, 2016, 01:36:42 AM
Urzeitshop has the Baryonyx in as well, and cheaper than previously seen prices http://www.urzeitshop.de/papo/2649-baryonyx-dinosaurier-spielzeug-von-papo-3465000550547.html

Me likey! It's nice to see Papo introduce more colours instead of the drab paint schemes they've had in the past.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Sim

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 12, 2016, 06:28:55 PM
unfortunately we have no toy baryonxy scientifically correct current.

Indeed, and it's especially frustrating because Baryonyx has been made into a toy quite a number of times now.  Almost every time what its head is known to look like is ignored(!).  The only toys that seemed like they really tried to represent the real animal are the Invicta and Carnegie, which are both outdated and have other flaws too.

Given what the Baryonyx toys on the market are, it doesn't take much to be the best one.  Whether the Papo Baryonyx is the best toy of that genus on the market doesn't matter to me, since they basically gave it a Spinosaurus head.  I'm still waiting and hoping for a good modern Baryonyx toy that actually looks like the animal.  I wonder if one will ever be made.

DinoG

"I'm still waiting and hoping for a good modern Baryonyx toy that actually looks like the animal.  I wonder if one will ever be made."

Will Rebor come to the rescue????
Run!

tyrantqueen

If Rebor did a Baryonyx it would probably end up being either a slavish JP copy or a weird hybrid between JP and an accurate Baryonyx. Neither of which are desirable for me.

MLMjp

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 13, 2016, 01:12:31 AM
If Rebor did a Baryonyx it would probably end up being either a slavish JP copy or a weird hybrid between JP and an accurate Baryonyx. Neither of which are desirable for me.

Really???? I doubt it, just look at Ceratosaurs and Acrocanthosaurs, both are reasonable accurate to the real animal (I said reasonable so nobody starts to point out inaccuracies). Besides there´s not JP Baryonyx. We only have toys, which are not very accurate, and a CGI render made by Julius Csotonyi, which is super accurate. I doubt that they will base their Baryonyx on those JP toys, so the only option left is the CGI render. Besides, Rebor knows how to make reasonable accurate dinosaurs. They just decided not to do them properly because JP sells (King T.rex, baby raptors) and they were "afraid" of introducing fully feathered dinosaurs (Yutyrannus, Utharaptor), because they though that they would not sell that well. Also, they could have based their Ceratosaurus in the JP design but they decided not to. So I think that, if Rebor made a Baryonyx, it would be a reasonable accurate one.

About the Papo Baryonyx. I still don´t know how the sculptor managed to mess up the snout and notch of the skull. The only think that comes to my mind is that he might have though that Bary was just a sail-less Spinosaurus and that´s why he based his sculpt on the Spino´s skull. :-\

I was ready to forget about that whole snout and notch thing to go ahead and buy that Baryonyx, because It look gorgeous and I really liked the coloration, but after that comparison with the Papo T.rex I decide not to. It´s too big. I know that not all Papo dinosaurs are in scale, but the majority of them are more or less consistent in that department and they look good together. This guy should have been about the size of the Allosaurus. For me scale is major fact in my collection, between 1/40-1/30(Although I am planning to start a non-scale collection for smaller animals). I can accept a slightly bigger of slightly smaller model, but the Bary here is too big, sadly, because this was the Papo figure I was more looking forward to. :(

suspsy

Imagine if Papo had decided to tease everyone by releasing a sneak preview of just the head? I guarantee everyone would have assumed it was a new Spinosaurus. And then the big reveal would have resulted in profound disappointment and outrage.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Saurox

Why is the Kaprosuchas priced at $29.99 on Dan's Dinosaurs?

These prices are getting a bit high now.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: MLMjp on February 13, 2016, 01:36:19 PM

I was ready to forget about that whole snout and notch thing to go ahead and buy that Baryonyx, because It look gorgeous and I really liked the coloration, but after that comparison with the Papo T.rex I decide not to. It´s too big. I know that not all Papo dinosaurs are in scale, but the majority of them are more or less consistent in that department and they look good together. This guy should have been about the size of the Allosaurus. For me scale is major fact in my collection, between 1/40-1/30(Although I am planning to start a non-scale collection for smaller animals). I can accept a slightly bigger of slightly smaller model, but the Bary here is too big, sadly, because this was the Papo figure I was more looking forward to. :(

...well, if you consider the real length of the Baryonyx as 10 mt then the model's scale is about 1:30 ( Urzeithshop said so ).
Otherwise if you consider a length of 7,5 mt (like I do) then the scale is 1:22 ....
The Papo Rex is about 1:40.
Others Papo's scale is random:

Allosaurus / Carnotaurus / Triceratops/ Pachycephalosaurus/ Pteranodon 1:40
Velociraptor 1:10
Spinosaurus 1:50
Oviraptor 1:12
Dimetrodon 1:18
Dilophosaurus 1:26
Styracosaurus 1:30
Pachyrhinosaurus 1:45
Ankylosaurus 1:55
Parasaurolophus 1:45
Brachiosaurus 1:45
Stegosaurus 1:38
Apatosaurus 1:48
Archaeopteryx  1:5
Tupuxuara 1:35
Plesiosaurus 1:10
Tylosaurus 1:60
Smilodon 1:16
Mammoth 1:28
Woolly Rhino 1:20

So.....  ???

LophoLeeVT

Well i still love it. Is this a problem....
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Dinomike

Just ordered my Baryonyx!  Can't wait to see it!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

MLMjp

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on February 14, 2016, 09:13:15 AM
Quote from: MLMjp on February 13, 2016, 01:36:19 PM

...well, if you consider the real length of the Baryonyx as 10 mt then the model's scale is about 1:30 ( Urzeithshop said so ).
Otherwise if you consider a length of 7,5 mt (like I do) then the scale is 1:22 ....
The Papo Rex is about 1:40.
Quote from: raptor64870 on February 14, 2016, 10:52:20 AM
Well i still love it. Is this a problem....

It´s just a personal preference/criteria and my scale can change from dino to dino. In this case I use the Papo running Tyrannosaurus as a reference of how my dinos are scaled, and after seeing that comparison with the standing one....it is too big to look "right" next to it. Unless I see it personally and I change my mind....who nows....

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 14, 2016, 08:38:28 PM
Yeah, if they did Baryonyx the same size as Allosaurus they would have kept a good scale with their other big theropods. But then Brachiosaurus and Apatosaurus aren't on scale and they're still beautiful models to display side by side, so not a big deal for me.

Thats true, but my scale isn't perfect, some models are a bit bigger and others are a bit smaller.
The Papo Brachiosaurus (I don't have one, but I have seen a lot of pictures)still towers over the rest of the Papo dinosaurs, so it looks good and "right" with the rest of them. The Apatosaurus (I also don´t have one) on the other hand.... length wise is pretty good and it looks really good but because the neck is a bit too big and the body is smaller than it should be (I believe) is not tall enough. Also I prefer to have a "subadult size" figure instead of an oversized giant one.

Saurox

Any more news on official release dates?

Concavenator

Enjoy! 😜
I'm really liking the Velociraptor,despite its flaws.And the Kaprosuchus too.

CityRaptor

Looks like the same pic twice. Also like someone positioned a horse...snack or photobomb?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

The velociraptor and feathered Kaprosuchus are magnificent. Thanks for the Concavenator photography. Indeed they seem larger than I expected both figures, or is it an optical illusion.

It seems that Kaprosuchus is huge as big as the tyrannosaurus running Papo

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm going with a trick of perspective.  I'd say it's the same size or maybe a little larger than their Nile Croc.

MLMjp

Looking good ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Thank you Concavenator.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: