News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Customising Hints, Tips and FAQs

Started by Himmapaan, May 10, 2012, 07:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megalosaurus

Hello.
Are there modeling clays that doesn't require to be baked?
I'm aiming to customize a toy and don't want to put it in the oven.
The customization will be like 30%.
Thanks in advance.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

PumperKrickel

deleted

tyrantqueen

Epoxy clays (such as Aves, Greenstuff, Milliput, etc.) don't need to be baked. They're pretty much your only choice if you want to customise a toy.

QuoteI use epoxy putty from Milliput. It dries in the air and gets super strong. Isn´t too expensive, as well.
This is a common misconception. They actually cure via the chemical reaction that occurs when you mix the two parts together. Air doesn't have anything to do with it.

Megalosaurus

Thank you both.

When working with epoxy clays... How do you vanish the fingerprints?

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

brandem

Personally, While it's still soft I take a wet finger and smooth out any prints

tyrantqueen

Viergacht

I was adding a varnish to my figures and it turned a chalky white. Is this a disaster, and if not, what can I do to fix it?

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Megalosaurus on May 17, 2016, 11:14:58 PM
Thank you both.

When working with epoxy clays... How do you vanish the fingerprints?

Personally I use disposable vinyl gloves while sculpting; they prevent fingerprints and prevent any putty getting on your hands.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Viergacht on May 20, 2016, 02:36:05 PM
I was adding a varnish to my figures and it turned a chalky white. Is this a disaster, and if not, what can I do to fix it?

If it was just over the factory paintjob, it should be easy to remove. Soak it in some rubbing alcohol.

Viergacht

Sadly, it was over my paint job.

terrorchicken

^what the heck did you use... so I know to avoid it! :o

I might as well start asking this now... Im painting my first animal figure, a tams7prairie 3d printed oreodont, and just want to know how you guys handle painting really tiny things like eyes and teeth(the oreo has two itty bity tusks popping out of his mouth.) Is there a certain brush size I should use?

Pachyrhinosaurus

I just use the smallest cheap brushes from Michael's and they work well for me.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

terrorchicken

I just think even with the smallest brush I will end up with messy dots for eyes. I know from the difficulty I have painting fashion doll eyes(like Barbie) and I use pretty small brushes for that.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: terrorchicken on July 18, 2016, 11:23:14 PM
I just think even with the smallest brush I will end up with messy dots for eyes. I know from the difficulty I have painting fashion doll eyes(like Barbie) and I use pretty small brushes for that.
I only put a tiny pit of paint on the first few hairs and cover up any mistakes when I'm done, however When I paint eyes at this scale, they are only black with no detail to them. It worked with the 1/72 Antediluvians. I also tried a toothpick and cotton swab without success.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

paleoferroequine

I find it easier to go ahead and paint the teeth thoroughly, not worrying about neatness. Then when dry, I come back with the base color of the mouth and outline with the brush around the teeth. For eyes that are small I indent in the middle with a heavy pin, then possibly use a small drill bit and drill a shallow hole. This round hole can then be filled with whatever eye color you are using. Keeps it neat.

Derek.McManus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 18, 2016, 01:35:03 AM
Baby oil.

Lol....in my experience all modelling skills require practice and appropriate techniques...I started modelling with oo railways followed by 1/35 military then heroic fantasy and all the techniques can be applied to each hobby!

terrorchicken

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 18, 2016, 11:51:48 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on July 18, 2016, 11:23:14 PM
I only put a tiny pit of paint on the first few hairs and cover up any mistakes when I'm done, however When I paint eyes at this scale, they are only black with no detail to them. It worked with the 1/72 Antediluvians. I also tried a toothpick and cotton swab without success.

Quote from: paleoferroequine on July 19, 2016, 01:18:37 AM
   I find it easier to go ahead and paint the teeth thoroughly, not worrying about neatness. Then when dry, I come back with the base color of the mouth and outline with the brush around the teeth. For eyes that are small I indent in the middle with a heavy pin, then possibly use a small drill bit and drill a shallow hole. This round hole can then be filled with whatever eye color you are using. Keeps it neat.

more great ideas, thanks guys!
Also i think I really need to get one of those desk lamps with a magnifier, would help see what Im painting more clearly.

danmalcolm

Can anybody recommend something that will make my dinos less glossy? I repainted Papo Para

and this pachycephalosaur

and I'm not super happy with how shiny they turned out. I applied matte varnish from walmart, 2 coats, but it honestly just made them glossier! What can I use that will protect the paint job and reduce glare? Thanks in advance!

pylraster

Find a matte spray topcoat. You might want to keep the eyes glossy though, so you can dab a little bit of gloss topcoat after the matte has been applied.

pylraster

I don't know if you can find one locally but I use the Tamiya Flat coat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: