News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pixars "The Good Dinosaur Toys".

Started by Takama, October 13, 2015, 07:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on November 23, 2015, 05:36:50 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on November 22, 2015, 05:30:33 PM
The difference is that the general public is aware of what birds look like, whereas little kids watching The Good Dinosaur might go to school the next day and say Tyrannosaurus didn't have feathers because they saw it in a movie. All through school I dealt with kids and even teachers claiming feathered dinosaurs weren't real because no movies ever had them. I actually had a teacher cite Land before Time as source material...

Holy socks, there are people who actually think that "if it's real then it will have been in a movie" constitutes an argument?

...holy socks, I've never been in a movie. Am *I* not real?

I'm certainly not convinced you are. Also, the corollary--that all things in movies must be real--seems perfectly reasonable.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TomWToyForum

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 22, 2015, 05:30:33 PMThe difference is that the general public is aware of what birds look like, whereas little kids watching The Good Dinosaur might go to school the next day and say Tyrannosaurus didn't have feathers because they saw it in a movie. All through school I dealt with kids and even teachers claiming feathered dinosaurs weren't real because no movies ever had them. I actually had a teacher cite Land before Time as source material...
I was about to say something along the lines of "where on earth do you go to school" but then I remembered that I have seen this happen at several points, sometimes jokingly, sometimes totally seriously.

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on November 23, 2015, 05:36:50 AMHoly socks, there are people who actually think that "if it's real then it will have been in a movie" constitutes an argument?

...holy socks, I've never been in a movie. Am *I* not real?
To quote Descartes, "I [appear in film], therefore I am."

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 21, 2015, 11:39:31 PM

For what it's actually worth, the graphics we could have gotten.

That sauropod almost looks...cute. Like a baby lizard. :) Shame the actual character is so strange looking.

Dinomike

Lovely fan art there! I'm pretty sure the story will be awesome. Pixar's had a long break and they've been working on this for quite some time so I'm expecting a lot from it. I actually like the super stylized characters.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

CityRaptor

Long break? Isn't Inside Out also a Pixar movie. And that came out this year.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 23, 2015, 11:29:43 PM
Long break? Isn't Inside Out also a Pixar movie. And that came out this year.

Correct. I was surprised that they were releasing two movies in one year, I don't think that's normally the case.

CityRaptor

I figure that is partly done to cash in on the success of JW. Someone at Pixar may have predicted it.
Oh no

Rain

Most likely, it was pretty obvious Jurassic World was going to blow up. The first Jurassic Park movie in over a decade  that pays extreme amounts of homage to the original that everyone was so fond of is destined to blow up. I have a good feeling The Force Awakens will break the records set by Jurassic world however. Bringing back the original actors is always a good move...(unless they're terrible!)

Gwangi

Quote from: Rain on November 24, 2015, 01:37:19 AM
Most likely, it was pretty obvious Jurassic World was going to blow up. The first Jurassic Park movie in over a decade  that pays extreme amounts of homage to the original that everyone was so fond of is destined to blow up. I have a good feeling The Force Awakens will break the records set by Jurassic world however. Bringing back the original actors is always a good move...(unless they're terrible!)

I have no doubt that "The Force Awakens" will be the highest grossing movie of all time and break all kinds of records. I believe it's already breaking records with advance ticket sales.

Kovu

Quote from: Gwangi on November 24, 2015, 03:55:46 AM
I have no doubt that "The Force Awakens" will be the highest grossing movie of all time and break all kinds of records. I believe it's already breaking records with advance ticket sales.

Honestly, I hope that doesn't happen just because I don't want Titanic knocked down another notch. It stung enough when it happened with Avatar, which is not a good movie beyond the special effects. But that's just me...

Also, hadn't the Good Dinosaur been in development for a while before production on Jurassic World officially began?

Simon

Quote from: Kovu on November 24, 2015, 04:25:08 AM

Honestly, I hope that doesn't happen just because I don't want Titanic knocked down another notch. It stung enough when it happened with Avatar, which is not a good movie beyond the special effects. But that's just me...

Also, hadn't the Good Dinosaur been in development for a while before production on Jurassic World officially began?

Well, I hate to be a "fly in the ointment" but in point of fact the highest grossing movie of all time - once you account for inflation - is still - "Gone With The Wind".....

The inflation-adjusted chart is about half-way down this Wiki page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

Shadowknight1

I hope it does because I DO want Titanic knocked down.  Not a fan of that movie, and DEFINITELY not a fan of Avatar.  Overhyped CGI fest.  You think it stung when it grossed that much?  Imagine being a Trek fan and seeing Avatar win for best effects over Star Trek(2009)) when Star Trek had far more impressive visuals and actually used practical effects while Avatar was nothing but greenscreen.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Kovu

Quote from: Simon on November 24, 2015, 04:37:37 AM
Well, I hate to be a "fly in the ointment" but in point of fact the highest grossing movie of all time - once you account for inflation - is still - "Gone With The Wind".....

The inflation-adjusted chart is about half-way down this Wiki page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

Jack and Rose are still number 2 when when not adjusted for inflation though! ;) Sorry, haha Titanic's my favorite movie, hands down, no competition.
I'll never let go Jack... I'll never let go.

I kind of doubt anything would ever topple "Gone with the Wind" when adjusted for inflation though. And it's held on so long it just wouldn't seem right in a way if was. I will not be surprised at all if the new Star Wars film surpasses Jurassic World and I'm just basing that off the sheer amount of publicity surrounding its release. I've never seen any of them and won't see this one either though. I just don't like space and sci-fi movies. I like historic, romantic and historical disaster films.

While I'm excited for it, I doubt The Good Dinosaur is gonna even break into the top 10, again, not adjusting for inflation.

Should we move this to another thread? I don't want to get too off topic...

CityRaptor

I know it had a rather troubled history, including that Peter Sohn guy replacing some guy named Peterson. They point is however that setting the new release date shortly after JW is no coincidence.
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on November 24, 2015, 04:49:56 AM

I hope it does because I DO want Titanic knocked down.  Not a fan of that movie, and DEFINITELY not a fan of Avatar.  Overhyped CGI fest.  You think it stung when it grossed that much?  Imagine being a Trek fan and seeing Avatar win for best effects over Star Trek(2009)) when Star Trek had far more impressive visuals and actually used practical effects while Avatar was nothing but greenscreen.

Yep I agree. I hate Avatar.

As for Titanic, I find the love story cheesy and convoluted but it was part of my childhood and some incredible artistry did go into making the film. I have to give it props for that.

QuoteI know it had a rather troubled history, including that Peter Sohn guy replacing some guy named Peterson. They point is however that setting the new release date shortly after JW is no coincidence.

It's hardly "troubled". The story was overhauled. Don't try to make it out to be more than that.

CityRaptor

From TV tropes:
Troubled Production: A few months short of its original 2014 release date, the filmmakers couldn't come up with a good enough ending. And this was coming off of two films that had sent Pixar's popularity into a steep decline, so John Lasseter panicked and postponed the release so as not to release yet another film they wouldn't be proud of. ◦ Less than six months before its November 2015 release, Disney itself announced that much of the originally-announced voice cast had been replaced after having recorded all their parts and some characters dropped altogether as the script was extensively rewritten

Sounds like it was more than that.
Oh no

tyrantqueen

TV Tropes? Seriously?? Literally anyone can that write for TVT. But even if that stuff is true, so what? It's not like people have been treated badly or there is some kind of underlying controversy. You're allowed to change your mind with creative endeavours if it's not going the way you want it. If that means starting from scratch, so be it.

Also, if the studio is delaying the movie because they care about the end product, that can only be a good thing. As Shigeru Miyamoto said "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever".

Looks like it was worth it in the end, because the early reviews have been fantastic.

How about we ask someone who was actually involved in the project:

Quote"I recorded the entire role in Good Dinosaur. They have now dismantled it and completely reimagined it, and it is a fantastic new story. So I'm gonna record again on it within the next month. Don't worry. It's coming and it's gonna be better than I ever imagined."

Yeah, really sounds troubled to me.

CityRaptor

Is that the same guy who originally was gonna gonna stay but was replaced at the last minute?

It should be noted that the TV Tropes article actually had a source. The link just was not copied.

As for the original story, they probably figured that the "most dinosaurs being jerks" thing they originally wanted to do had already been done in Disneysaur.
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: Kovu on November 24, 2015, 05:02:24 AM
I will not be surprised at all if the new Star Wars film surpasses Jurassic World and I'm just basing that off the sheer amount of publicity surrounding its release. I've never seen any of them and won't see this one either though. I just don't like space and sci-fi movies. I like historic, romantic and historical disaster films.

But "Star Wars" is historic! It takes place "a long time ago, in a galaxy far away". The relationship between Han Solo and Leia make it a romance too and if blowing up an entire planet with a space station doesn't qualify for disaster then I don't know what does. "Star Wars" has it all! And it's really more of a space fantasy than a sci-fi movie. But honestly, you shouldn't limit yourself to three genres of film. There are so many great film out there, you're only doing a disservice to yourself by not experiencing them.

MLMjp

I don´t want star wars to become the highest grossing film.

1-I want Jurassic world to be the highest grossing film of this year.

2-I´m getting tired of it. Is everywhere, they are like schleich, I´m not saying that they are bad I have watched all movies and I liked them, but they are not my life like a lot of people, they are not even part of my favorite film series. If the geek world was like the dinosaur toy market, star wars is schleich, a good quality schleich in this case. But I don't want them, I want other brands (Jurassic park, Pirates of the Caribbean...) to have more presence. And that why I think I´m getting sick of star wars, they are always there, while other things don´t. You will always find star wars merchandise everywhere, but other things won't get that amount of attention.
It is like my hobbies (Dinosaurs, Anime, Transformers...)in my country, they don't get a lot of attention and I have to go to a specific place to find them. Enough with comparisons.

Thea ar six star wars movies, In my opinion, once a movie series has surpassed two trilogies, it´s enough. I´m not saying that the force awakens will be bad, I just think that It wasn´t really necessary to make more star wars films. Besides, there are a lot of spin-offs that are going to come, There´s going to be a star wars cinematic universe.(Everyone thinks they can do the marvel formula...)

In same way I don't really think we need Jurassic world 2, I loved the movie, it was something that the franchise needed after JP3 IMO But I don't want them to do a sequel, because they are probably going to ruin it again.

To summarize:
I think there is enough star wars in the world.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: