News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gryphon Art- update 4/9

Started by Gryphoceratops, March 13, 2012, 08:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryphoceratops

Fresh start.  Good excuse to pretend all the old embarrassing art never happened  ;)

Dryptosaurus scavenges a beached mosasaur.

Dryptosaurus pair attacks Hadrosaurus. 

Tyrannosaurus tells off some Quetzalcoatlus moochers

Tyrannosaurus

Oviraptor family

Troodon

Velociraptor

Unenlagia pair

Microraptor ambushes Confuciusornis

Girraffititan and Pterodactylus

Kaprosuchus and Nigersaurus

Amargasaurus

Tenontosaurus

Parasaurolophus

Pachycephalosaurus

Styracosaurus

Triceratops

Ceratopsids

Dimorphodon

sepp

You're a very talented painter :)

I love that Parasaurolophus! And the bitty Oviraptor chicks are just too adorable.

Himmapaan

None of your art could ever have been called 'embarrassing'!

Loving your new name, too.  ;D

ZoPteryx

Your art is fantastic!  I love your application of bright colors. :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Himmapaan on March 13, 2012, 11:01:04 PM
None of your art could ever have been called 'embarrassing'!

Agreed !

Pachyrhinosaurus

Those are impressive! They seem to be better each time I see them.  :D
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Meso-Cenozoic

Hey Chris! Like your new name. 'bout time you incorporated your fave dino in it!

It's so overwhelmingly cool to see all these pics of yours in a row in one post. (Don't you wish you could pump them out that quick in real life? LOL!) I have a lot of faves in there, but the one that I always come back to, that sticks out in a good way, is the Pachycephalosaurus. Love the colors and the perspective of it!

Patrx

Wonderful stuff here! I really like your color choices, particularly on the ceratopsians.

Horridus

I think I like the top one best. Just lovely.

(Of course, that T. rex portrait isn't bad either ;))
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Gryphoceratops

Thanks everybody I really appreciate all the kind words! 

Yeah strangely enough I think my favorite is a toss up between the first one (drypto scavenging a mosasaur) and the unenlagia mating display, the two oldest of this bunch.  I have another one in the works that should be pretty interesting if it turns out the way I want it to so stay tuned. 

dutchdinolover

Nice work, love the coloration!

Totoro

Wow, Christopher, seeing a lot of your work collected like this really opened my eyes in a new way to how good it is!  I really like the way you use color and shading.  Your art is so pleasing to look at.  It's accurate, but also very aesthetic, if that makes any sense.  Hope to see some more in the future!
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

brontodocus

The Unenlagia pair is my favourite but I like all your forest scenes, I guess it's because of the twigs in the background that look as if they were partly veiled by mist. :) Sorry, I've overlooked your thread and I didn't realize you changed your forum name. :-[

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

postsaurischian

Wonderful paintings, Christopher :). I especially like the 'Parasaurolophus with butterflies' idea.
Was the Kaprosuchus inspired by Safari or vice versa :)?

Gryphoceratops

Thanks guys!  Yes I used the kaprosuchus safari toy to help out with the perspective. 

Tylosaurus

Very very nice arts you made Gryphoceratops!!!

Rest in Pieces my dearest Brother, Dexter is coming to give you a help'n hand

Gryphoceratops

Thanks Tylo.  If it makes you feel any better the mosasaur died of natural causes.  The drypto found it dead like that. 

Anyway new painting.  I'm really pleased with this one.  Inspired by crows and ravens raiding nests of other birds, here is Darwinopterus stealing eggs from a very angry pair of Anchiornis.  Enjoy. 

Arioch

Cool scene and very believable! one of your best, I think.

Can´t really nitpick on this one. At first glance, seems like maybe the pterosaur uropatagia should be attached to the tail instead of its base, like here http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/14/article-1220265-06D032AB000005DC-908_634x425.jpg. Otherwise, spot on!

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Arioch on April 02, 2012, 07:30:32 PM
Cool scene and very believable! one of your best, I think.

Can´t really nitpick on this one. At first glance, seems like maybe the pterosaur uropatagia should be attached to the tail instead of its base, like here http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/14/article-1220265-06D032AB000005DC-908_634x425.jpg. Otherwise, spot on!

Thanks man.

The placement of the uropatagia all based on guesswork still.  If you look up reconstructions of pterosaurs the structure of the membrane with regards to the hind part and tail is all over the place. 

http://www.reptileevolution.com/darwinopterus.htm

Arioch

You´re welcome. But Dave Peters itsn´t precisely the most reliable source around (in fact, his depictions are pretty much the laughing stock). Think that pterosaurs most likely used the uropatagia like birds use their tails to maneuver and steer in flight, so even when we´re basically guessing that should give us a clue about the shape...;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: