News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Inspired by palaeoart

Started by DinoToyForum, May 13, 2012, 05:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Would have been cool ( and more accurate ) if the T-Rex sculpt  had also been based on the art work. :)

DC

It is the nature of submuseum sets to copy public source art. PlayVision used the illustrations in Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Creatures. The Papo Allosaurus that shares the look and feel of Todd Marshall .  The CollectA Williansonia looks like it is from a Burien print. InvicA, Klein Welka and Rom all have the look. I am glad it does Burien was good. If you collect flats then you see lots of Knight and Burien influence.  Sibbeck's posters must be very popular in China his Allosaurus etc show up in UKRD and Hing Fat figures.  If you are a good paleo artist you influence the market place.  I can tell you Luis Rey art work is all over the Safari Ltd Toy Fair stand.  He has a lot of fans at Safari ltd.  Most of Papo and Chap Mei looks like it lived in Jurassic Park.  I think what has changed most for me is that I recall a time when there were at most 3 influences Burien, Zallenger and Knight now it is movies, TV shows, Poster, books the the web.       
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Ikessauro

Here's my contribution, a few De Agostini Dinosaurs

Megalosaurus

Ohh. Thats interesting.

Now, I'm resurrecting this thread because I remember seeing some pictures of a statue by Keith-Strasser. To me it highly resembles Papo Dimetrodon or viceversa. Do someone know if this statue is older than the Papo figure?

The close up head.

But the Papo paintwork looks more loke this paintwork by SWRiojas.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Both Keith and David's Dimetrodon's there are older than the Papo figure.  I suspect the Papo was based on David's though.

Roselaar

Awesome! Now I finally know what line my unidentified Huayangosaurus figure belongs to. Thanks a lot, Ikessauro! :)

Neosodon

Only Doug would be able to confirm this but his Nasutoceratops (mostly the color scheme) looks inspired by the Nasutoceratops in one of my favorite pieces of paleoart.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Schleich Mini Quetzalcoatlus (2015 color scheme)

Ornithocheirus (Julius Csotonyi?)

Reptilia

I see a certain resemblance with the Papo Archaeopteryx:

CrypticPrism

But of course, the color scheme wasn't enough.

Schleich is trash. 'Nuff said.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Doug Watson

I bet this is the first time an artist has posted a comparison with one of his or her own pieces here.
I have been trying to complete my set of York Peanut Butter Dinosaur cards from 1962. I had a bunch of these when I was a kid in 62 but not a complete set. I now have the album and some of the cards.
I was on eBay yesterday when I spotted the card for the Archaeopteryx. I don't remember having the card but I could have. This is interesting to me on two levels first the 1962 artist foresaw some of the colours that some scientists believe appeared on the Archy, black and white and did it around 50 years before the paper came out. When I did mine I based the colours on that paper but I added the iridescence and the orange that are on the 62 version. The orange I took from modern birds and the iridescence I took from the research on Microraptor colour.
I think the closeness is by chance but maybe I did have that card back in 62 and subconsciously it influenced my piece. Either way I thought it was cool when I saw it.

1962 York Peanut Butter Archaeopteryx

My 2015 Safari Ltd Archaeopteryx

Halichoeres

Whenever I'm proud of a particular turn of phrase or other piece of writing, I Google it to make sure I didn't accidentally pilfer it without acknowledgment. That's so much harder to do with visual media, though. That's cool that you rediscovered your inspiration. :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 31, 2017, 05:43:44 PM
Whenever I'm proud of a particular turn of phrase or other piece of writing, I Google it to make sure I didn't accidentally pilfer it without acknowledgment. That's so much harder to do with visual media, though. That's cool that you rediscovered your inspiration. :)

Better me rather than have someone else here find it and post an "Ah ha! Gotcha!" ;)

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Ikessauro on June 01, 2014, 07:28:44 PM
[

Ikessaurus the dinosaurs of agostini I suppose they will be the dinosaurs of the publishing company Planeta Can be that? Of course they are copies of some illustrations of encyclopedias of dinosaurs and I can affirm that they are very well achieved.

It is a pleasure to have these figures.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 31, 2017, 05:43:44 PM

Bahaha, I totally do that too!

I love that story Doug. Maybe the influence of the subconscious is more than most of us would believe.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 31, 2017, 08:36:51 PM
Quote from: Ikessauro on June 01, 2014, 07:28:44 PM
[

Ikessaurus the dinosaurs of agostini I suppose they will be the dinosaurs of the publishing company Planeta Can be that? Of course they are copies of some illustrations of encyclopedias of dinosaurs and I can affirm that they are very well achieved.

It is a pleasure to have these figures.

I believe Planeta and DeAgostini are the same company, formed from Planeta in Spain and DeAgostini in Italy.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

CrypticPrism

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on January 21, 2017, 03:51:57 AM
Schleich Mini Quetzalcoatlus (2015 color scheme)

Ornithocheirus (Julius Csotonyi?)

That's by Dougal Dixon m8.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."

Sim

I think that Ornithocheirus is by Julius Csotonyi, it's in both of these galleries on his website:

http://www.csotonyi.com/PrehistoryPaint.html

http://csotonyi.com/galleries/mesozoic-era/cretaceous-period-3/

CrypticPrism

I guess it is. The pencil and white background fooled me.

Halichoeres

It was included in a Dougal Dixon book. The one Dixon book I have has a list--in tiny print, requiring a hunt--of the artists who contributed artwork, but didn't specify which illustrations were whose, which I find maddening.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: