News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Inspired by palaeoart

Started by DinoToyForum, May 13, 2012, 05:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 12, 2013, 05:10:56 PM
I'd say the head and quills match the middle sauropod pretty well..however it looks like the artist just slapped it on a generic sauropod body after that.

I also think that the orange patterns on it was inspired by it, evean if its not exact

sauroid

if U.K.R.D. still made dino figures, it'd look like that Geoworld Camarasaurus.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

DinoToyForum

I stumbled across this Raul Martin painting of Mosasaurus and was struck by the uncanny resemblance between it and the WS mosasaurus.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

I could swear that the Papo Dimetrodon looks exactly the same as a Dimetrodon in one of my encyclopedias-I'll have to look it up.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

I dunno if anyone else has noticed this, but it seems to me as though Luis Rey has been copying dinosaur models lately:

As well as copying from the Kaiyodo Triceratops and Maiasaura models:

Granted, these artworks don't actually appear in the book itself, but they were still published on the internet. And yes, I know he isn't breaking any rules by doing this. But even in the past, when I wasn't that much of a huge fan of his artwork, I still respected his work for its originality. Now, not so much...

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Um, TQ, I don't really see that much of a likeness there.  ??? I think he was just making images of regular old Trikes and Maiasaura. The Trike looks a tiny bit like the model, but you could kind of apply it to all models, not just that particular one!  ;D Also, the Maiasaura don't really look like the model at all. Just my opinion.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on October 20, 2013, 09:11:16 PM
Um, TQ, I don't really see that much of a likeness there.  ??? I think he was just making images of regular old Trikes and Maiasaura. The Trike looks a tiny bit like the model, but you could kind of apply it to all models, not just that particular one!  ;D Also, the Maiasaura don't really look like the model at all. Just my opinion.
You seriously think it was just a coincidence? Also, I own the Kaiyodo Maiasaura and I can definitely say that there is a resemblance. Even the skin folds around the hips in the same way. The postures are different, but the skin textures are clearly referenced. Here's my own photo of the model:

QuoteThe Trike looks a tiny bit like the model, but you could kind of apply it to all models, not just that particular one!
Okay, then find me a picture on the internet of a triceratops (not made by Battat) that matches that artwork. Also, the trikes behind have the same posture, except he altered the head postures slightly.

Better yet, I'll do it for you:
Here's the artwork

And here are some triceratops models made by various companies. Do they match?

Nope.

Looks superficially similar, but the leg posture is wrong. So...nope.

Again, the leg posture is different. Wrong again.

The Battat is nearly a perfect match, in terms of posture and musculature.

Btw, there are comparisons in this thread that are more dubious that the ones I posted.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Triceratops:
http://www.nothingbutdinosaurs.com/catalog/safari-limited-wild-safari-dinos-and-prehistoric-life-realistic-triceratops-dinosaur-toy-model-figure-collectible-284529.html

In response to the maiasaura, just look at the tail length, the hump of the back, the head and neck length, the head shape, the size of the stomach, etc. etc. Yes, there are a few likenesses, but I'd argue that this is just coincidental or just the artist trying to produce a scientifically accurate painting. I'm not sure why you are bashing his originality; I think his paintings are not only beautiful, but also quite original.
The place I'd agree with you on is that he consulted models for his paintings; he probably did. But I don't think that's a reason to insult his artistic talent or his paintings. Just a thought! ;D
-Peter Benchley

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

BTW, TQ, the leg posture has nothing to do with whether or not the painting looks like the model. The leg posture is reversed on the WS model-so what?
If there's anyone else reading this thread who has an opinion, please chime in! I could definitely be wrong-I just don't think that the artist or his paintings are any the lesser for trying to be accurate.
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

That triceratops you linked to looks similar until you realise the legs are positioned differently. The tail is too long and the skin isn't even wrinkled the same way. Also, notice the brow horns are completely straight on the Safari; on the Battat, they curve gently.

Where did I ever insult his work? I just said that I was disappointed in him swiping other artists' work. Luis Rey is one of the most famous dinosaur artists out there (he was featured in Steve White's book "The World's Greatest Paleoart") and I would have hoped that he could come up with his own drawings.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 20, 2013, 09:45:37 PM
That triceratops you linked to looks similar until you realise the legs are positioned differently. The tail is too long and the skin isn't even wrinkled the same way.

Where did I ever insult his work? I just said that I was disappointed in him swiping other artists' work. Luis Rey is one of the most famous dinosaur artists out there (he was featured in Steve White's book "The World Greatest Paleoart") and I would have hoped that he could come up with his own drawings.
The bold area of your quote above-that's where. Claiming that someone "swiped someone else's work" is kind of an insult to the artist. Besides, you can't really make that accusation. Read Doug Watson's post on page 6.
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on October 20, 2013, 09:47:59 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 20, 2013, 09:45:37 PM
That triceratops you linked to looks similar until you realise the legs are positioned differently. The tail is too long and the skin isn't even wrinkled the same way.

Where did I ever insult his work? I just said that I was disappointed in him swiping other artists' work. Luis Rey is one of the most famous dinosaur artists out there (he was featured in Steve White's book "The World Greatest Paleoart") and I would have hoped that he could come up with his own drawings.
The bold area of your quote above-that's where. Claiming that someone "swiped someone else's work" is kind of an insult to the artist. Besides, you can't really make that accusation. Read Doug Watson's post on page 6.
Is it an insult if it's true? What else should I call it? Copying? Heavily referencing?

Also, I'm pretty sure Luis Rey is used to criticism by now. He posted his work in public domain, for everyone to see after all.  I never attacked him personally, I just pointed out his copying and stated that I was personally disappointed in it. Am I not entitled to my opinion on his work?

You can't deny that his work is controversial, perhaps intentionally so. There are people on the internet who have said worse, much more unflattering things I have.

Btw, did you know he collects dinosaurs too? I wouldn't be surprised if he had the Battat in his collection, it's a popular and accurate toy.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. What my point is is that it is an unneeded comment that is only insulting to the artist and has no positive value in any way. That being said, your statement has some truth in it. It's just not necessary. Yes, I agree that his work is controversial, but I just think that this page of the forum is about models inspired by paleoart, not a place to simply make negative comments about the artists who produce paleoart. Just my thoughts. That being said, yes, you were quite mellow in your comments comparatively.  ::) ;D
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on October 20, 2013, 09:59:26 PM
Of course you're entitled to your opinion. What my point is is that it is an unneeded comment that is only insulting to the artist and has no positive value in any way. That being said, your statement has some truth in it. It's just not necessary. Yes, I agree that his work is controversial, but I just think that this page of the forum is about models inspired by paleoart, not a place to simply make negative comments about the artists who produce paleoart. Just my thoughts. That being said, yes, you were quite mellow in your comments comparatively.  ::) ;D
I understand your point and I'm sorry for being too blunt. A few years back, I enrolled in an art college, where we had class critiques. Everyone was very very brutally honest with their critiques (even to the point of harsh criticism). I guess it sort of rubbed off on me, even though I dropped out of the course. I know that's not an excuse, but it can be a hard habit to break.

I'll take your comments to heart next time I comment.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 20, 2013, 10:05:41 PM
Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on October 20, 2013, 09:59:26 PM
I understand your point and I'm sorry for being too blunt. A few years back, I enrolled in an art college, where we had class critiques. Everyone was very very brutally honest with their critiques (even to the point of harsh criticism). I guess it sort of rubbed off on me, even though I dropped out of the course. I know that's not an excuse, but it can be a hard habit to break.

I'll take your comments to heart next time I comment.
Wow, thanks for being so understanding. Ah, if only everyone else in the world would only be so understanding of everything!  ;D Seriously though, it's nothing against you, or even your comments. Just the place that they were posted. That's all. That being said, this is the last post I'll post on the subject. After this, I will dump it out of my brain.  ;)
Aside, I enjoy reading your comments and you've helped me out with many things I've asked about, so, please continue to do so! I value your opinion.
-Peter Benchley

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: KeU on May 09, 2013, 12:49:09 AM
Quote from: Takama on May 08, 2013, 06:16:49 PM

Looks like the Invicta Model

Looks like a Komodo Dragon's head....

...and the tail of a scelidosaurus.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

tyrantqueen

Kinto Favorite Ltd. Tyrannosaurus

Illustration by Takashi Oda.

DeadToothCrackKnuckle

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 22, 2014, 11:30:43 PM
Kinto Favorite Ltd. Tyrannosaurus

Illustration by Takashi Oda.

Except the guy who painted that custom figure also painted that artwork.

©Julius T. Csotonyi

tyrantqueen

QuoteExcept the guy who painted that custom figure also painted that artwork.
It was released as a special edition for an exhibition in Tokyo actually. So it still counts.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: