News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanusaurus

A more vibrant dilophosaurus might entice me to buy it... I think the feathered raptor has great potential for different colour schemes, though it may be too soon for them to repaint it for next year.

suspsy

As I've said many times in the past, I really want to see a repainted Triceratops with a nice pattern on its frill.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on July 22, 2016, 02:48:08 PM
A more vibrant dilophosaurus might entice me to buy it... I think the feathered raptor has great potential for different colour schemes, though it may be too soon for them to repaint it for next year.

...or a different pose for the Dilo. That pose is just weird.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on July 22, 2016, 02:55:16 PM
As I've said many times in the past, I really want to see a repainted Triceratops with a nice pattern on its frill.

Of all the Paposaurs, the Triceratops is in dire need of a repaint.

tanystropheus

Quote from: empire3569 on July 08, 2016, 04:22:31 AM
Quote from: DinoLord on July 08, 2016, 02:43:23 AM
Quote from: dragon53 on July 07, 2016, 01:07:06 PMIf I had known Papo might release an Acrocanthosaurus, I would have not bought the Rebor version, and waited for the Papo version.

This is one of the reasons I held off from the Rebor model. That and obviously oversized feet despite use of a base...

I'm hoping the Papo one scales/matches well with the Rebor so I can pair them together :)

I hope they at least look somewhat related (species wise). The CollectA, WS and REBOR versions do not juxtapose well.

Dilopho

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 22, 2016, 04:51:03 PM
Quote from: suspsy on July 22, 2016, 02:55:16 PM

Of all the Paposaurs, the Triceratops is in dire need of a repaint.
Especially compared to the brilliant colors on the baby one.

Dilopho

I got the green Velociraptor yesterday- it's my first Papo Velociraptor and I have something to ask:
Is it just my figure or does anyone else's stand with the the tail off the ground? It's the same pose as usual but the tail (it even has the same curl at the end and it points downwards at the end) is held almost horizontally.

I got it at that Dino Park I posted about yesterday and it was alongside some regular tripod Velociraptors, the previous ones with the red eye and rounded pupil. They had more green ones but they were too far back to see their tails (the Papos were all high up in a locked glass case to stop kiddies from breaking them.)

Rain

That's the intended pose. It will fall back on it's tail every now and then, however.

Dilopho

Quote from: Rain on August 31, 2016, 01:03:51 PM
That's the intended pose. It will fall back on it's tail every now and then, however.
Oh! I thought it was a tripod figure because even the promo pictures are tripods!

Moodyraptor

Quote from: Dilopho on August 31, 2016, 12:47:58 PM
I got the green Velociraptor yesterday- it's my first Papo Velociraptor and I have something to ask:
Is it just my figure or does anyone else's stand with the the tail off the ground? It's the same pose as usual but the tail (it even has the same curl at the end and it points downwards at the end) is held almost horizontally.

I got it at that Dino Park I posted about yesterday and it was alongside some regular tripod Velociraptors, the previous ones with the red eye and rounded pupil. They had more green ones but they were too far back to see their tails (the Papos were all high up in a locked glass case to stop kiddies from breaking them.)

I have 5 papo raptors, and 2 of them will stand with the tail off the ground decently, the other 3 just fall straight back into tripod pose.  I think it's my brown and one of my grey/blacks that will do it. 

Concavenator

Quote from: Dilopho on August 31, 2016, 01:07:26 PM
Oh! I thought it was a tripod figure because even the promo pictures are tripods!

I have that original ,brown Papo Velociraptor,though I vastly prefer the Carnegie one that was recently released.

KenosisDre

Hey Guys,

I'm Selling the Complete Collection of Invicta British Museum Dinosaur Line on Ebay!

Dilopho

Quote from: KenosisDre on August 31, 2016, 06:35:42 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm Selling the Complete Collection of Invicta British Museum Dinosaur Line on Ebay!
That's great but this isn't the right place to post that, try the "classified" section!  :D

tanystropheus

Quote from: Concavenator on August 31, 2016, 05:25:44 PM
I have that original ,brown Papo Velociraptor,though I vastly prefer the Carnegie one that was recently released.

Even over the Papo feathered Velociraptor:o

Concavenator

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 11, 2016, 02:02:52 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on August 31, 2016, 05:25:44 PM

Even over the Papo feathered Velociraptor:o
Sure.Even though the Carnegie one doesn't have wings like the Papo,it still looks much more natural and accurate.The Papo one  does have that monster style which is so Papo-like.

Dilopho

Quote from: Concavenator on September 11, 2016, 11:35:34 AM
Sure.Even though the Carnegie one doesn't have wings like the Papo,it still looks much more natural and accurate.The Papo one  does have that monster style which is so Papo-like.
Hmmm....I've gotta agree with you there! Kinda.
Because, you know, the Carnegie one has the perpetual screaming maw.
But overall, yes, it looks more natural. That's why I really want most of the Carnegies. But the Papo Velociraptor is on my wishlist too since it is just so...impressive!

The Atroxious

Quote from: Concavenator on September 11, 2016, 11:35:34 AM

Incidentally, I agree with this. There are too many things I dislike design-wise about the Papo Feathered Velociraptor, not the least of which that it doesn't look like a Velociraptor at all so much as a generic, almost Primeval-esque "raptor". The Carnegie Velociraptor is at least identifiable as a Velociraptor, with or without wings, and I find the overall aesthetic to be much more appealing.

Nanuqsaurus

I received the Papo feathered Velociraptor last friday and I think it's absolutely beautiful!  ^-^
The head is a bit monster-like indeed, it would've been better if the head had feathers too. Still, I don't think it looks like a generic raptor, the shape of the skull is clearly based off a Velociraptor's.

The Atroxious

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on September 11, 2016, 02:41:59 PM
I received the Papo feathered Velociraptor last friday and I think it's absolutely beautiful!  ^-^
The head is a bit monster-like indeed, it would've been better if the head had feathers too. Still, I don't think it looks like a generic raptor, the shape of the skull is clearly based off a Velociraptor's.

True enough about the skull, though the "horns" still bug me since those bony protrusions were almost certainly supports for a sort of fleshy eyebrow in life. The whole figure just looks too stocky to me too, which makes me not see it as a convincing Velociraptor, especially since a major part of what I like about Velociraptor is how lithe it was. I also don't care for the colors, or the way the wing is depicted. The first primary feathers are weirdly flat on their leading edge, and it just looks awkward to me. I can't unsee the flat edge.

To be honest, I'm really not a fan of Papo. I collect theropods, and their theropods leave a lot to be desired to me except for Allosaurus and Carnotaurus. I don't especially like Carnotaurus as an animal to begin with, but in my opinion Papo did the best toy version on the market. I absolutely love their Allosaurus, however, with the minor nitpick that it seems to be missing some muscles on its pelvis, but so are most dinosaur toys, so that's not a Papo specific complaint.

I do think they do non-theropod dinosaurs very well, but I'm especially interested in those, so they don't really affect my overall indifference to Papo as a whole.

Carnotaurus

As the Atroxus said, Papo Carnotaurus and Allosaurus are good ones, a must have for any dinofan. These are the firsts dinosaurs i bought in years and the level of detail is awesome. The painting is great, it resembles live creatures. The only thing I dont like but is a minor issue is the scale. The carno is too small or the allo is too big. Carnotaurus is 1:40 if we consider it a 7.5m length. Before I ordered them (via eBay) i searched a lot other dinotoys and these are the better i saw. Papo Carno is better than the Safari Carnegie one. Didnt like the last one painting, although the sculpture is really good and i might get it some day. After both figurines came to me, a local supermarket brought Pappo's and Sleichs ripp offs for childrens day. And the diference in quality is big, but the price is almost the same!!! Now i am waiting for Papo Stegosaurus along some Collecta and WS figurines.

Totally like this brand theropods. Their accuracy is acceptable for toys and the price is reasonable for their high quality,

Greets.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: