News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain

It still isn't monochromatic.. I'm pretty sure orange and purple aren't tints of one another. And as for the it being dull, it has purple, orange, red and hints of blue...I don't think that's dull at all

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on November 01, 2015, 02:22:30 PM
Sounds like the revenge of Tyrannosaurus rex!

Tyrannosaurus is still alive (and attacking Spinosaurus toys)?!?

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Rain on November 01, 2015, 03:15:54 PM
It still isn't monochromatic.. I'm pretty sure orange and purple aren't tints of one another. And as for the it being dull, it has purple, orange, red and hints of blue...I don't think that's dull at all

I was getting that the colors are rather muted, compared to say, TLW's Blue T. rex. Even the Papo Running rex's color scheme is more "lively", but that's just my opinion. Or maybe its just residual bitterness towards that mold, its SO overused. Books, artwork, knockoffs. Its called the stock dinosaur for a reason.

Rain

Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on November 01, 2015, 03:33:49 PM

I was getting that the colors are rather muted, compared to say, TLW's Blue T. rex. Even the Papo Running rex's color scheme is more "lively", but that's just my opinion. Or maybe its just residual bitterness towards that mold, its SO overused. Books, artwork, knockoffs. Its called the stock dinosaur for a reason.

Haha yes it's called the stock dinosaur, but you have to remember...Papo are the ones who created it. They aren't overusing it

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Rain on November 01, 2015, 03:47:10 PM
Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on November 01, 2015, 03:33:49 PM

Haha yes it's called the stock dinosaur, but you have to remember...Papo are the ones who created it. They aren't overusing it

They aren't, but everyone else it. And I just can't stomach seeing that mold anymore. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a downer, that's good that others like it, but its just not for me.

stargatedalek

While not monochromatic, I do agree that the colours feel very flat, like sedimentary layers or lines on a road rather than naturalistic colours. I don't always mind this (IE CollectA Guidraco crest or living puffins), but it can sometimes feel very artificial.

A quick wash with a complementary colour would fix that right up though.

suspsy

Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on November 01, 2015, 02:54:33 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on October 29, 2015, 03:32:18 AM
Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on October 28, 2015, 10:08:03 PM
Meh, I think its a little too monochrome for a T. rex. But that's just my opinion.

Don't you mean polychrome? I count at least 4 colours which is three more than monochrome.

No, I mean that it is rather "monochromatic" for a T. rex, in comparison to other rex figures. Rather dull, in fact.

Then call it "dull" or "muted" or "subtle," but "monochromatic" is simply the wrong term.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: suspsy on November 01, 2015, 04:12:58 PM
Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on November 01, 2015, 02:54:33 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on October 29, 2015, 03:32:18 AM
Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on October 28, 2015, 10:08:03 PM
Meh, I think its a little too monochrome for a T. rex. But that's just my opinion.

Don't you mean polychrome? I count at least 4 colours which is three more than monochrome.

No, I mean that it is rather "monochromatic" for a T. rex, in comparison to other rex figures. Rather dull, in fact.

Then call it "dull" or "muted" or "subtle," but "monochromatic" is simply the wrong term.

Well sorry then.

KeU

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Sim on November 01, 2015, 03:30:47 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 01, 2015, 02:22:30 PM
Sounds like the revenge of Tyrannosaurus rex!

Tyrannosaurus is still alive (and attacking Spinosaurus toys)?!?

Legends live forever!   ^-^

EmperorDinobot

I know I may be in the minority...

But I REALLY LIKE THAT T.REX's COLORS!!! IT must be mine! Who wants to help me get it?!

Roselaar

Avid Papo lovers and casual enthusiasts both might find these Rex/Raptor comparison shots of use. Courtesy of JPtoys forum member Teddybier. Thanks, Teddy! :)

As you can see, the differences in the Rex's head sculpt are minimal. Also, these pictures nicely show the use of colour Papo put in these figures, quite unlike their usual routine for dinosaur figures. Hopefully they'll make more use of this in future models.

Viking Spawn

Nice comparison shots Roselaar.  I need to do that sometime.   Love Papos.   8)

kreativtek

Gorgeous T-rex! Anyone wants to swap the colourful one for the classic brown Rexy? It's in a perfect condition. :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: kreativtek on November 13, 2015, 11:10:42 AM
Gorgeous T-rex! Anyone wants to swap the colourful one for the classic brown Rexy? It's in a perfect condition. :)
Not a chance :-*

suspsy

I hate to say it, but if Papo repainted their Triceratops or their Stegosaurus in spiffy colours, I'd probably buy it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Meso-Cenozoic

Great pics, Roselaar! Thanks! I hope we here in the States will be able to get the boxed duo. I'd much prefer getting them that way than separately. I keep checking Mastermind Toys' site. They do have them listed separately, but so far, only the T. rex is available for online ordering. The new Velociraptor is only currently available in stores, not online. Although on YouTube, JurassicCollectables is having a giveaway of the boxed set, and he states that they will either be from ToysRUs or Mastermind toys in Canada. So that's a bit confusing if he's able to get the boxed set from Mastermind. And I'm assuming it's ToysRUs UK, because ours in the States don't have them yet. So, I'm still keeping my eyes out for the boxed set in hopes that somewhere close to home gets it in. I really don't want to pay overseas shipping. :P

Roselaar

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on November 15, 2015, 08:38:22 AM
Great pics, Roselaar! Thanks! I hope we here in the States will be able to get the boxed duo. I'd much prefer getting them that way than separately. I keep checking Mastermind Toys' site. They do have them listed separately, but so far, only the T. rex is available for online ordering. The new Velociraptor is only currently available in stores, not online. Although on YouTube, JurassicCollectables is having a giveaway of the boxed set, and he states that they will either be from ToysRUs or Mastermind toys in Canada. So that's a bit confusing if he's able to get the boxed set from Mastermind. And I'm assuming it's ToysRUs UK, because ours in the States don't have them yet. So, I'm still keeping my eyes out for the boxed set in hopes that somewhere close to home gets it in. I really don't want to pay overseas shipping. :P

Box set is not likely to be released in the States. The way I heard it, there's only a limited number of them and they will only be available where they are now (i.e. Korea, Canada and the UK). That doesn't rule out an eventual release for a separate Rex and Raptor, but not again as a duo.

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Roselaar on November 12, 2015, 11:08:13 PM
Avid Papo lovers and casual enthusiasts both might find these Rex/Raptor comparison shots of use. Courtesy of JPtoys forum member Teddybier. Thanks, Teddy! :)

As you can see, the differences in the Rex's head sculpt are minimal. Also, these pictures nicely show the use of colour Papo put in these figures, quite unlike their usual routine for dinosaur figures. Hopefully they'll make more use of this in future models.

I think that third raptor has some blue tailed skink DNA in her.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: