News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

The inaccuracies on the various Papo figures haven't been listed all in one place, but they have been mentioned in different threads on this forum and/or on Dinosaur Toy Blog reviews.  Some can be seen in Reply #364 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3099.msg93362#msg93362

Rain

Quote from: Sim on December 08, 2015, 09:11:03 PM
The inaccuracies on the various Papo figures haven't been listed all in one place, but they have been mentioned in different threads on this forum and/or on Dinosaur Toy Blog reviews.  Some can be seen in Reply #364 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3099.msg93362#msg93362

Very interesting, thanks. I wonder why they did that with the Carno in particular. It already looks pretty damn menacing the way Sideshow recreated it. Maybe just an error on the sculptors part?

Sim

You're welcome.  I'm not sure if inaccuracies like that one are unintended, or an attempt to make the figure more appealing.  Another example is the 'antlers' on the Papo Pachyrhinosaurus.

CityRaptor

Keep in mind that some of them are pop-culture based. So it is probably intentional. Schleich does that, too, but they claim to be eductional, and it does not really work out for them. ( Design-wise, they still make tons of money )

The Pachyrhinosaurus is based on the one in Disney's Dinosaur:
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Pachyrhinosaurus
Good thing it is based on a non-speaking Dinosaur. Schleich's Styracosaurus is what happens when you base your Ceratopsian on a speaking Dinosaur:
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Eema
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

I knew the Pachyrhinosaurus is based on the one in Disney's Dinosaur, but I hadn't realised the Disney one also had 'antlers'!

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Victoria B on November 26, 2015, 12:39:47 AM
Well, I went ahead and ordered the T-Rex and Raptor pack from the South Korean seller. I had some cash in my PayPal account so I only ended up shelling about half. At least I'll be able to have these repaints.

Well, if the seller doesn't again put more up (which they have before), I finally broke down and bought the last one. Let's here it for Christmas! -- A great excuse to buy something extravagant for yourself and not feel as guilty about it! Lol! ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221941469010?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Saurox

I can wait to put the new running rainbow variant with the rainbow stock t Rex.

Hopefully means there plans for a rainbow juvenile repaint planned.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on December 14, 2015, 10:25:06 AM
Well, I went ahead and ordered the T-Rex and Raptor pack from the South Korean seller. I had some cash in my PayPal account so I only ended up shelling about half. At least I'll be able to have these repaints.

Well, if the seller doesn't again put more up (which they have before), I finally broke down and bought the last one. Let's here it for Christmas! -- A great excuse to buy something extravagant for yourself and not feel as guilty about it! Lol! ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221941469010?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Awesome! Let me know when you get yours. I actually haven't received mine yet. :(

terrorchicken

saw the sitting brown Rex at Hobby Lobby today. I would have gotten one but both models they had were all scratched up and full of paint rubs! Are Papo's prone to easy paint wear? Kinda makes me worried if I ever order any online.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Victoria B on December 15, 2015, 09:22:08 AM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on December 14, 2015, 10:25:06 AM

Awesome! Let me know when you get yours. I actually haven't received mine yet. :(

Will do! So far all I know is that after buying it early Monday morning (Dec. 14), it shipped out that same night! A good sign, so far! I also included a note to the seller asking if they still had more than this last one in stock, if they could pick out the best looking pack because I was a serious collector. ;) Hehe! We'll see if that will make any difference. 8)

Rain

Quote from: terrorchicken on December 17, 2015, 12:36:15 AM
saw the sitting brown Rex at Hobby Lobby today. I would have gotten one but both models they had were all scratched up and full of paint rubs! Are Papo's prone to easy paint wear? Kinda makes me worried if I ever order any online.

They should be fine unless you plan to rub them against a rough surface or something. I've had my Papos dropped multiple time by playing kids and they're all still in great condition.

oscars_dinos

I got my new papo rainbow rex with a couple of paint splotches but it was nothing to bad

Viking Spawn

Its funny you mention that about Hobby Lobby.  Everytime I visit that store and see their Papo inventory, their stock always seems to have some noticeable flaws.  Makes you wonder if kids are playing with them in the stores or some stock person just simply flung them around before shelving them?  For what Hobby Lobby charges for Papos, I almost always buy them online anyway.

PaleoMatt

The only paint wear on my papos is the running green rex. It has a moderate blotch of wear on its little tooth that juts outward that everyone hates, in fact I'm tempted to cut it off.

Dilopho

Quote from: TE Matt on December 17, 2015, 07:38:20 AM
The only paint wear on my papos is the running green rex. It has a moderate blotch of wear on its little tooth that juts outward that everyone hates, in fact I'm tempted to cut it off.
I have some paint wear on the Running Rex's toe claw. It doesn't matter though.
My Dilophosaurus got his neck spines chipped when he fell out of my car (long story) so he's missing some paint....and some of his spines....

japfeif

Quote from: FistyCuffs on December 04, 2015, 08:54:12 PM
Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on December 04, 2015, 08:09:15 PM
Ugh, another naked-head Theropod. People, if your going to feather your Theropods, go all out with it. Not every Theropod needs to look like a vulture. I know this is a custom, and a rather good one at that, excluding the head. But still.

I fail to see how it's a "naked-head theropod". It has feathers all the way up to just behind its eye. The crest and beak are featherless because, quite frankly, they're supposed to be. It actually has more feathering than its bony-crested counterpart of today. Cassowary feathers(for the most part) end at the base of the neck and don't get anywhere near the face.

I was just about to say that! I know feathered dinos are all the rage now but it doesn't mean that they need to be 100% loaded down with feathers. Many birds have fairly naked heads and even though the evidence is pretty much undisputable that many dinosaurs had feathers, to my knowledge it's not been shown that even the theropods were covered head to toe in them. I think that the Oviraptor looked very nice....just enough feathers to satisfy the folks who want their dinos feathered but not so much that it looks like an ugly bird. And as was pointed out....it's not exactly "naked-headed"....I see feathers (or protofeathers) darn near all up the sides of the head and near the top. Good job I say!
I'd love to see Papo (the best dino manufactured out there in my opinion, if not 100% accurate, but for making models that actually look ALIVE) re-do a few of their dinos, like the Ovi, with SOME feathers (but not go crazy with it).

japfeif

stargatedalek

You misunderstand the purpose of a birds naked head. Cassowary and some game-birds use bright coloured head and throat skin for display, take note that the young (and in some species one gender) will have feathers on their faces since they don't display in the same manner. Vulture have bald heads because the head and neck is a surface that can be used to loose heat in high ground temperature and also be easily tucked into the thick shoulder feathers to conserve heat at high altitudes.

Having a bald head would not be benefiting to a theropod unless it were used for display, which the Papo Velociraptor is clearly not equipped for.

*edit*
Seems I misinterpreted the topic, but alas the point is still relevant.

terrorchicken

Quote from: Viking Spawn on December 17, 2015, 04:08:42 AM

Its funny you mention that about Hobby Lobby.  Everytime I visit that store and see their Papo inventory, their stock always seems to have some noticeable flaws.  Makes you wonder if kids are playing with them in the stores or some stock person just simply flung them around before shelving them?  For what Hobby Lobby charges for Papos, I almost always buy them online anyway.

the 2 Rexes were the only Papo's they had in stock, everything else was Mojo. Maybe they were old stock or returns?

QuoteVulture have bald heads because the head and neck is a surface that can be used to loose heat in high ground temperature and also be easily tucked into the thick shoulder feathers to conserve heat at high altitudes.
doesnt it also help them not get covered in blood & guts when they stick their heads deep into carcasses? I can definitely see that being important for the smaller theropods.

DinoLord

The only time I ever went to Hobby Lobby a good deal of their Papo dinosaurs were very worn down or even outright broken.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: