News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: terrorchicken on December 17, 2015, 06:08:59 PM
QuoteVulture have bald heads because the head and neck is a surface that can be used to loose heat in high ground temperature and also be easily tucked into the thick shoulder feathers to conserve heat at high altitudes.
doesnt it also help them not get covered in blood & guts when they stick their heads deep into carcasses? I can definitely see that being important for the smaller theropods.
Nope, just a hypothesis that ended up being incorrect. If a bald head was truly beneficial in feeding we would see other birds of prey display similar baldness, but it's nearly unseen in predatory birds. Nor is it associated with scavenging, as we have many large scavenging specialized seabirds without bald faces.

pylraster

Pfft. That ebay item is hilarious. We all know the brown running rex is supposed to be rare, but you can buy entire lines good dino figures (and more) with what, US $3,615.85. Absolutely ridiculous.

Patrx

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 17, 2015, 07:35:38 PM
QuoteVulture have bald heads because the head and neck is a surface that can be used to loose heat in high ground temperature and also be easily tucked into the thick shoulder feathers to conserve heat at high altitudes.
doesnt it also help them not get covered in blood & guts when they stick their heads deep into carcasses? I can definitely see that being important for the smaller theropods.
Nope, just a hypothesis that ended up being incorrect. If a bald head was truly beneficial in feeding we would see other birds of prey display similar baldness, but it's nearly unseen in predatory birds. Nor is it associated with scavenging, as we have many large scavenging specialized seabirds without bald faces.

Precisely. For more information on that matter, take a look at this TetZoo article. :)

Halichoeres

Case in point, this petrel:

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Patrx on December 17, 2015, 08:10:27 PM

Precisely. For more information on that matter, take a look at this TetZoo article. :)

Bald head may not be a rule for birds of prey, even for scavengers. But is still a possibility in the diversity of dinosauria. Talking about: "the head and neck is a surface that can be used to loose heat in high ground temperature", It can also be true in the case of Velociraptor.  So I don't blame Papo for making this Velociraptor design.

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

terrorchicken

Quote from: Patrx on December 17, 2015, 08:10:27 PM

interesting, thanks for the link!

oscars_dinos

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/oscardvaldes/media/_57_zpsnktkjfw2.jpg.html?filters=144471701&filters=1&sort=1&o=0

Sorry guys I don't really know how to post pics here but have any of you seen this??? I've seen it a couple times online but have never found out if its official.

Rain

The v2 raptor? It's official

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Rain on December 23, 2015, 12:37:13 AM

I realize its basically the version 2 raptor but why is it brown/tan instead of black???

Roselaar

Quote from: imnewhere on December 23, 2015, 01:33:09 AM

I realize its basically the version 2 raptor but why is it brown/tan instead of black???

Different lighting/earlier colour scheme maybe. Stock photos often differ from the final product, yet they are usually kept in place rather than replaced by a more accurate pic.

Moodyraptor

Quote from: Roselaar on December 23, 2015, 02:06:14 PM
Quote from: imnewhere on December 23, 2015, 01:33:09 AM

Different lighting/earlier colour scheme maybe. Stock photos often differ from the final product, yet they are usually kept in place rather than replaced by a more accurate pic.

Mine is that colour (in fact, I have two and they both are).  Do other people have black ones?

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Moodyraptor on December 23, 2015, 05:22:56 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on December 23, 2015, 02:06:14 PM

"Mine is that colour (in fact, I have two and they both are).  Do other people have black ones?"
(sorry i messed up and don't know how to fix the quote thing lol)

Mines is black. If its not to much trouble a picture would be nice

oscars_dinos

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/oscardvaldes/media/_57_zps2wmpjc8d.jpg.html
Here I got the normal stock image for the raptor (the black one) and under it is the other brown one. you guys see the difference???

LophoLeeVT

probably just the light...
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Viking Spawn

I love to see side by side pics of these variations!  Please, anyone?

oscars_dinos

Quote from: raptor64870 on December 24, 2015, 03:59:53 AM
probably just the light...

Can light really make that much of a difference

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Viking Spawn on December 24, 2015, 10:20:16 AM

That is if this thing actually exist. Thats why I've been so confused about it like is this how it was originally going to look like or do we have a situation similar to the brown running rex? Does this mean theres a 5th version of the raptor!!! Or is it just nothing... I WANT ANSWERS

Viking Spawn

Quote from: imnewhere on December 24, 2015, 04:45:23 PM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on December 24, 2015, 10:20:16 AM

That is if this thing actually exist. Thats why I've been so confused about it like is this how it was originally going to look like or do we have a situation similar to the brown running rex? Does this mean theres a 5th version of the raptor!!! Or is it just nothing... I WANT ANSWERS

EXACTLY!  ^^^^^^^

Moodyraptor

Having looked at the pictures and at mine, I think it is the light, and not a big variation. I think I was just thrown by describing the v2 as "black" since I wouldn't call it black, I'd call it grey and brown, but colour perception can be subjective :) That said, all papos seem to have some variation in the paint job, so it's possible much lighter individuals are out there. 

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Moodyraptor on December 24, 2015, 06:59:59 PM
Having looked at the pictures and at mine, I think it is the light, and not a big variation. I think I was just thrown by describing the v2 as "black" since I wouldn't call it black, I'd call it grey and brown, but colour perception can be subjective :) That said, all papos seem to have some variation in the paint job, so it's possible much lighter individuals are out there.

I guess mines is just a darker variation then. I won't lie (and I'm not joking) I do suffer a bit form color blindness so i guess if there are any dark shades of brown in the v2 raptor i just haven't noticed it. The picture I found online was just interesting to me so i wanted to share it with you guys

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: