News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jurassic World - New For 2016

Started by suspsy, January 03, 2016, 04:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

It's kinda sad seeing that Jurassic World wasted their opportunity to change the public's interpretation of dinosaurs.
Jurassic Park completely changed the public's interpretation of dinosaurs from slow, dumb tripod lizards to fast, "smart" and fascinating creatures. But now, Jurassic World has become the thing holding back the general public from learning new things about dinosaurs, continuously spreading misinformation.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

terrorchicken

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 02, 2016, 03:22:19 AM
It's kinda sad seeing that Jurassic World wasted their opportunity to change the public's interpretation of dinosaurs.
Jurassic Park completely changed the public's interpretation of dinosaurs from slow, dumb tripod lizards to fast, "smart" and fascinating creatures. But now, Jurassic World has become the thing holding back the general public from learning new things about dinosaurs, continuously spreading misinformation.

this seems to be a problem with Hollywood in general these days. Look at Good Dinosaur...Yeah I know it was for kids, but come on, even Land Before Time's dinos were 100 times more accurate than... whatever those things in GD were.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: terrorchicken on September 02, 2016, 07:59:19 PM

this seems to be a problem with Hollywood in general these days. Look at Good Dinosaur...Yeah I know it was for kids, but come on, even Land Before Time's dinos were 100 times more accurate than... whatever those things in GD were.

100 times is a pretty big exaggeration, The Land Before time had tail-dragging dinosaurs right out of a Knight painting. The Good Dinosaur was stylized way too much in my opinion but you could clearly tell which dinosaurs are which.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on September 07, 2016, 11:33:38 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on September 02, 2016, 07:59:19 PM

100 times is a pretty big exaggeration, The Land Before time had tail-dragging dinosaurs right out of a Knight painting. The Good Dinosaur was stylized way too much in my opinion but you could clearly tell which dinosaurs are which.
I mean for this to sound in the least argumentative tone possible, but I genuinely could not identify anything other than Tyrannosaurus (which admittedly could have been any Tyrannosaur) and Nyctosaurus.

DinoLord

I thought the depictions in that movie were largely alright, but the sauropods' really tall wrists that look like backwards elbows bothered me. In the zoomed out shots where they're less apparent things looked better.

I just hope that the JW sequels take a better direction in terms of both film depictions and toys. With a new director and toy company who knows, we may see some positive changes.

Flaffy

Nah, almost every creature in JW is wrong. Stegosaurus drags tail, feet inaccurate. Triceratops's frill should be smoother, feet inaccurate. Apatosaurus's teeth are inaccurate. T-rex not feathered, hands broken, shrink-wrapping and brow horns inaccurate. Velociraptor, we all know the inaccuracies of this one. Pteranodon, no pycnofibres, shouldn't be able to lift a human, shouldn't have teeth. Dimorphodon, horribly shrink-wrapped, doesn't even resemble a dimorphodon. Ankylosaurus, body armour shouldn't be like a over-spiky turtle shell. Mosasaurus, too big, random scutes on it's back, tail fin too small.

tyrantqueen

Did I just step into a time portal and get transported back to 2015?

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 08, 2016, 02:42:26 AM
Nah, almost every creature in JW is wrong. Stegosaurus drags tail, feet inaccurate. Triceratops's frill should be smoother, feet inaccurate. Apatosaurus's teeth are inaccurate. T-rex not feathered, hands broken, shrink-wrapping and brow horns inaccurate. Velociraptor, we all know the inaccuracies of this one. Pteranodon, no pycnofibres, shouldn't be able to lift a human, shouldn't have teeth. Dimorphodon, horribly shrink-wrapped, doesn't even resemble a dimorphodon. Ankylosaurus, body armour shouldn't be like a over-spiky turtle shell. Mosasaurus, too big, random scutes on it's back, tail fin too small.

Actually, the Pteranodon's don't have teeth in JW. ;) Theres a scene where a tranquilized Pteranodon is sliding towards the kids and you can easily see the toothless beak.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Flaffy

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 08, 2016, 07:15:45 AM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 08, 2016, 02:42:26 AM

Actually, the Pteranodon's don't have teeth in JW. ;) Theres a scene where a tranquilized Pteranodon is sliding towards the kids and you can easily see the toothless beak.
Ah, you are correct. The JP franchise is messing with my brain :P

Dinomike

The hybrids line Indominus rex looks better than the old Bad Boy version in terms of proportions. The color scheme is not my thing but it looks like a fun toy. That hybrid Ptera...what!? That makes my head hurt.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

CityRaptor

Well, it is a Hybrid between a Pteranodon and one of the many Dinosaurs ending in -mimus. Probably Suchomimus. Or rather how that would look on Level 40 if it was in JW: The Game. Colors seem to come from the Pteranodon of that game. Same for the other hybrid toys having colors based on their game counterparts. T.rex is the odd one out.

( Spinosaurus is actually Spinoraptor )

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 08, 2016, 02:47:40 AM
Did I just step into a time portal and get transported back to 2015?

Apparently yes. I mean, come on, it even gets pointed out in the movie.
"Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth!"
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Flaffy

The 'pteramimus' was supposed to be based on the hybrid 'suchoripterus', but I guess the 'geniuses' at Hasbro thought that it won't sell well as it doesn't have a well known name on the package. So yeah... This happened.
Let's be real here, either way, those two weren't gonna sell well from the start.

CityRaptor

Suchoripterus? That one? ( Not pictured: Some blue dude named Jake Sully attempting to ride it )

Looks like purple and striped is common among Level 40 Pterosaurs in that game.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

pylraster

To this day it still somewhat annoys me to think, that Hasbro really blew their chances. They deserve losing the license. But I'm still not convinced Mattel can do better. Hope I am proven wrong when the Mattel figs are revealed.

ItsTwentyBelow

I was just browsing at Toysrus, and was surprised to find four of the other JW "Dino Hybrids". These were the small articulated figure size. They had a blue repaint of the Stegoceratops, a blue and red repaint of Spinosaurus, a yellow and black striped abomination "Dilophosaurus rex" (retool of the small Rex, with a frill and crest), and a slightly cool "Carnoraptor" hybrid of two well-known species.

I experienced the JP Chaos Effect line as a kid, and I'm ok with the absurdity, so I had to get that Carnoraptor! What little articulation is there, is at least smooth. The colors are ridiculous, but eye-catching. Looking forward to Mattel hopefully giving Jurassic Park/World a much-needed reboot. These hybrids are just a parting shot from Hasbro!