News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Favorite Co. - New for 2016

Started by Halichoeres, January 20, 2016, 05:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Announced so far for 2016:

A set of 10 miniature models (I think some of these made an appearance as Christmas promos late last year). 450 yen each, 4000 yen for the set, according to the fb page. They look to all be species from the Soft Model series. EDIT: postsaurischian pointed out that at least some of these seem to be the same sculpts as the discontinued Metal Models series. Looks like they are: Allosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Pteranodon, Spinosaurus, Stegosaurus, Triceratops, and 3x Tyrannosaurus  (with and w/o feathers and a color variant). I'll update this post as other things turn up!

[dead image]
Skeleton models of both Pteranodon longiceps and P. sternbergi (Geosternbergia sternbergi, whatever you prefer).

Not really prehistoric, but still of interest to many here: relict fish soft models. Coelacanth, arapaima, arowana, bichir. And for good measure, a giant vinyl coelacanth.

New Pteranodon vinyl model. It's huge!

Five new boxed sets for the Fukui Prefectural Dinosaur Museum:

Yutyrannus pair fighting, looks like an update of the old Charles Knight Leaping Laelaps painting.

Pentaceratops vs. Bistahieversor

Coelophysis vs. Redondasaurus

Zhuchengtyrannus vs. Sinoceratops

Guanlong vs. Yinlong.

Burgess Shale mini-models. Translated from Japanese, so forgive me if I made any mistakes on the genus names: Anomalocaris (in two different colors), Opabinia, Hallucigenia, Marrella (the really ornate crustacean), Canadaspis (the one that looks a little like a tadpole shrimp), Olenoides (the trilobite), Wiwaxia, Pikaia.

The yellow Anomalocaris is evidently only available with this boxed set.

Repainted editions of five large vinyl dinosaur models: Brachiosaurus, Pteranodon, Spinosaurus, Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PaleoMatt

Now Favorite Co! What is it with the mini craze XD I love minis so much.

MLMjp

Wait a moment.... there are five theropods.

A T.rex(left) a feathered T.rex(middle) a Spinosaurus(right) an Allosaurus(middle in the background)And which one is in the front? The only option left for a theropod is Velociraptor, but that cannot be a Velociraptor.

What can it be then? To me looks like some heavy built theropod. Giganotosaurus maybe?

Halichoeres

Good catch. I hadn't looked very hard because I typically only collect minis that are 1:50 scale and larger. I don't have a better guess than Giganotosaurus, although I would be completely unsurprised to see them produce three different rexes.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Sim

I saw the video on their Facebook page.    It looks like two models are the same sculpt of a featherless Tyrannosaurus, with different colour schemes and another one of the models is a feathered Tyrannosaurus.  If that's true, I think it's a waste.  Tyrannosaurus is the most overrepresented prehistoric animal in models, and if it had to be included in a model line yet again, one would have been enough.  I think it would have been better if they'd decided whether to make their Tyrannosaurus feathered or featherless and gone with one of those only, and made a different species instead of a second T. rex.  And any other species would have been better than a third T. rex that's just a repaint!

I'd like to see the Pteranodon clearly.

MLMjp

Quote from: Sim on January 20, 2016, 06:07:24 PM
I saw the video on their Facebook page.    It looks like two models are the same sculpt of a featherless Tyrannosaurus, with different colour schemes and another one of the models is a feathered Tyrannosaurus.  If that's true, I think it's a waste.  Tyrannosaurus is the most overrepresented prehistoric animal in models, and if it had to be included in a figure line yet again, one would have been enough.  I think it would have been better if they'd decided whether to make their Tyrannosaurus feathered or featherless and gone with one of those only, and made a different species instead of a second T. rex.  And any other species would have been better than a third T. rex that's just a repaint!

I'd like to see the Pteranodon clearly.

It´s true! Certainly is a waste of plastic that they could have use to make another dino. It´s ok for two figures of rex because they are different(feathered and not feathered), but three figures, and one of them is just a repaint.... C´mon!

CityRaptor

I figure it might be a chase figure.

Quote from: TE Matt on January 20, 2016, 05:33:49 PM
Now Favorite Co! What is it with the mini craze XD I love minis so much.

Minis are always popular. And as someone who collects Dinosaurs and Kaiju, let me tell you that the Japanese are truely the Masters of Miniatures!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Patrx

Hmm. I like Favorite's wares, in general (although Araki's style is distinctly 90's), but in my view, the existence of Kaiyodo's Dinotales and CapsuleQ line render these little dinos unnecessary.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Patrx on January 20, 2016, 07:04:22 PM
Hmm. I like Favorite's wares, in general (although Araki's style is distinctly 90's), but in my view, the existence of Kaiyodo's Dinotales and CapsuleQ line render these little dinos unnecessary.

If we go by that logic, a lot things would be unnecessary.

I think I already pointed out something in another thread a few months ago, when someone mentioned the possibility of Papo making a Ceratosaurus and someone mentioned that it would be unnecessary since REBOR already made one. I then pointed out that by that logic REBOR's would be obsolete as well since Safari made one.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Patrx

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 20, 2016, 07:24:46 PM
If we go by that logic, a lot things would be unnecessary.

True enough, that. I only meant that they're not "must buy" items for my collection; I like Kaiyodo's versions much more. Although, this new mini Triceratops would make a neat keychain :)

postsaurischian

Most of these aren't new sculpts.
Allosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Stegosaurus, Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus are exactly the same sculpts as in Favorite's Metal Model series (which is discontinued - only Brachiosaurus and Stegosaurus are still in stock).

Unfortunately they didn't re-produce the best figure of the set - Deinonychus, which is in about 1:40 and the only one I thought I had to get.

Viking Spawn

Favorite usually makes some great looking miniatures and desktop models...  I just one day they would make regular 1:35 (+ -) scale figures!  Oh that would be a great day for me! 

Patrx

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 20, 2016, 09:45:21 PM
Favorite usually makes some great looking miniatures and desktop models...  I just one day they would make regular 1:35 (+ -) scale figures!  Oh that would be a great day for me!

They do make a line of PVC models; the ones they call "soft models". They're not literally soft, just ...not made of polystone resin. :)

AcroSauroTaurus

I can't really tell in the picture, but is that a Saichania or a Tarchia? Either way I'm interested in that one. But I'll wait till I see a review before I decide.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Patrx on January 21, 2016, 01:57:37 AM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 20, 2016, 09:45:21 PM

They do make a line of PVC models; the ones they call "soft models". They're not literally soft, just ...not made of polystone resin. :)

Hmm?  Thanks Patrx.  I'll have to research those further.  ;)

Halichoeres

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 20, 2016, 09:28:39 PM
Allosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Stegosaurus, Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus are exactly the same sculpts as in Favorite's Metal Model series (which is discontinued - only Brachiosaurus and Stegosaurus are still in stock).

Unfortunately they didn't re-produce the best figure of the set - Deinonychus, which is in about 1:40 and the only one I thought I had to get.

Thanks for the information! A Deinonychus would likewise have interested me more than any of these.

Sim

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 20, 2016, 09:28:39 PM

Thanks for the info.  I've found images of four of them here: http://www.f-favorite.net/english/products/dinosaur/MetalModel/  And images of the other two at the end of this page: http://www.f-favorite.net/english/products/discontinued_items/Dinosaur/

They didn't include the Deinonychus, but they included THREE Tyrannosaurus?!  Gosh!  That's awful!  The Deinonychus and this new Pteranodon are the ones I find interesting out of all of these.  It's so disappointing they didn't include the Deinonychus, which I agree is the best figure of that set. There's also so few Deinonychus figures and even less that are modern representations of the animal...  Instead they include several figures of the prehistoric animal made into a figure more than any other...

That feathered Tyrannosaurus looks much better than the featherless one, so I'm surprised they felt it was worthwhile including the featherless one which looks almost like a living skeleton.  It's even more surprising the featherless T. rex which is the worst figure of the original six, got two different colour schemes in this new set!

They thought it was better to re-produce this in two colour schemes:

Instead of re-producing this:

This is one more reason why I think Favorite's dinosaur products have been getting worse, in addition to when they replaced their soft model series 1 with their soft model series 2.

They could have even included one of the featherless T. rex, the feathered T. rex and the Deinonychus and still have the same amount of figures in this new set!

Roselaar

These look okay, but not as good as their larger counterparts. Might get these if I can find them without paying heavy shipping costs. Will these be available as a set, and will they be similarly distributed as the regular models?

Viking Spawn

That featherless T-Rex looks like its either starving to death or is a zombie! 

Sim

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 21, 2016, 08:45:35 PM
That featherless T-Rex looks like its either starving to death or is a zombie!

Ha ha ha!  I thought that too!  :))

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.