News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co. - New for 2016

Started by Halichoeres, January 20, 2016, 05:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Given that it is a re-use of the mold of a discontinued model, one can say that it came back from the dead...sort of.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on January 21, 2016, 02:04:58 PM
They thought it was better to re-produce this in two colour schemes:

Goodness, Araki's recent sculpts are still a little lean, but they definitely represent progress relative to this poor thing. "Shrink-wrapped" doesn't begin to describe it. More like "vacuum-sealed."
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

Well to be fair, it is necessary to exaggerate details when you're sculpting at such a small scale.

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 22, 2016, 03:30:35 PM
Well to be fair, it is necessary to exaggerate details when you're sculpting at such a small scale.

Well, I dunno about necessary, but the argument could be made that not doing so might result in a pretty flat-looking sculpt. Even with that in mind, Kaiyodo has produced quite a few tyrannosaurs that don't have the visible fenestrae problem. I don't mean to keep bringing up Kaiyodo, but they are the obvious point of comparison in this case and have set rather a high watermark for prehistoric miniatures.

Halichoeres

Sure, if you want to have some shadow on the sculpt, you might want to exaggerate some. But I guess I prefer that the impression of shadows be accomplished with a well-chosen paint wash than with excavated fenestrae.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Patrx

Looks like Favorite have got some new skeleton models on the way!

The taxonomy on these animals is a little contentious, but it looks like the two are based on FHSM VP 339, the male Geosternbergia sternbergi, and YPM 2437, the male Pteranodon longiceps.

According to their Facebook page (and assuming Google Translate hasn't steered me too far off-course) this duo will be available on the 9th of February, for ¥27000 - about $227 or €209.

Sim

Hm, they made skeletons of the males of the two Pteranodon species, rather than a male and a female of one species.  It would be great to have a good, modern toy representation of a living Pteranodon longiceps!

Halichoeres

Thanks, Patrx! I'll add the photos to the first post.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Sim on January 27, 2016, 05:50:44 PM
Hm, they made skeletons of the males of the two Pteranodon species, rather than a male and a female of one species.

Well, the males make the difference more obvious and are more impressive due to their larger crests.

This reminds me: Has anyone ever made a proper female of either Pteranodon or Geosternbergia?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Viking Spawn

Those look great sitting on that shelf!

Dobber

Quote from: Viking Spawn on January 27, 2016, 07:07:22 PM
Those look great sitting on that shelf!

I agree! :) but darn they are a bit pricey.  :-[

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

sauroid

im not really into skeletal models but those Pteranodon are very nice. for me it would have been cooler if they were fleshed out.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The big Coelacanth is pretty awesome..I'll take a couple of them!

SBell

I just saw that set! And while I don't need a 2' coelacanth--I do need the others.

Also, kudos to Favorite for doing a Silver arowana instead of the usual Asian arowana!

But the bichir is still my main draw!

DinoLord

Are these upcoming releases? They look great!

Halichoeres

Those are nice. Up there with the Colorata figures.

Chad

Besides the Coelacanth, which ones make the most sense as Cretaceous stand ins?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Chad on March 08, 2016, 02:39:58 PM
Besides the Coelacanth, which ones make the most sense as Cretaceous stand ins?
Cretaceous fossils have been attributed to Scleropages (arowana). The others don't have any Mesozoic fossils assigned to them, but animals more closely related to them than to anything else alive must necessarily have been present, given the depths of the divergence times as inferred from molecular phylogenetics. Cretaceous bichirs don't look that much different from modern ones except that they tend to be bigger, or have more scales, etc. For me, this is about as good as it gets until somebody makes some critters out of the Western Interior Seaway.

Chad

[/quote]
For me, this is about as good as it gets until somebody makes some critters out of the Western Interior Seaway.
[/quote]

I'm waiting patiently!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: