News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Archinto's Dinosaur Art & Sculptures

Started by Archinto, January 23, 2016, 04:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archinto

Previously titled "Archinto's Dinosaur art from Many Stages of Life"

If this is your first time here, be sure to look through the thread to see more art!

Figured I'd share whats been a lifelong passion for me. Dinosaurs were always my favorite thing to draw as a kid. Today I don't draw them very often at all. I think my last drawings I spent any time on are about 12 years old. I will share these two unfinished pieces. I'll see if I can find any of the stuff I did as a kid. I think I still have my old sketchbooks.

I'd like to try taking a new stab at it and put my watercolor painting skills to the test. I think I'd be able to follow through and finish a piece that way, as purely pencil is oh so tedious. Either way, Enjoy!

Heres the Carnotaurus I ran out of lead on. I really wanted to finish this one. It would've been super awesome!

Unfinished Carnotaurus by Archinto, on Flickr

Carnotaurus Face by Archinto, on Flickr

On thie Troodon I had knicked off the hard lines and was getting ready to clean up the details then begin the shading. Sadly it never got to the detailing part. But here he is anyways.

Unfinished Troodon by Archinto, on Flickr

Here are a couple fast pieces I did back in 1994. Talon from Primal Rage and a Stegoceras. I saved Talon off my Viola case before I upgraded, and for some reason I liked this stegoceras enough to keep it for 20 years... :)

Primal Rage Talon and a Stegoceras cutout by Archinto, on Flickr

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Viking Spawn

Archinto

Thanks! This is just a small smattering of my old stuff so far. I'll probably find some time to do an 8x10 painting and see what you all think about it. I'll post any sculptural stuff I do here as well :)
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

AcroSauroTaurus

Your drawings are very '90s esque, although that may be in part due to them being old drawings. Correct?
I am the Dinosaur King!

Archinto

90s to early 00's so definitely era correct. Im about to see if I can dig up my really old stuff before posting anytbing new. Kindof setit up like a timeline :)

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Archinto on January 23, 2016, 08:34:05 PM
90s to early 00's so definitely era correct. Im about to see if I can dig up my really old stuff before posting anytbing new. Kindof setit up like a timeline :)

I see, well your old stuff is pretty good! I wonder how much you've improved since then. Or have you kept to your old style?
I am the Dinosaur King!

Archinto

I havent drawn a serious dinosaur in years. I do fishing boats and stuff now and get lots of commissions :) I'd like to try my new skills out on some dinosaurs..... :p

Pulling the Purse by Archinto, on Flickr

AcroSauroTaurus

Wow, thats really good! A lot better then the boats I can do... I specialize in animals. ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Archinto

I draw a lot of dragons, and recently did a painting of a sea dragon for my friends daughter. Painting that dragon made me think how easy it'd be to do some dinosaurs. I have to finish one of my short commission for a logo first before I can play though haha! Soon as thats done I'll start an 8x10. Good sanity work for when I need breaks from the 22x30 fishing scene im working on for a customer. :)

I'm going to try and round up what childhood artwork I still have left, then start posting new stuff.

Derek.McManus

Please do add more of your artwork when you get time I have enjoyed looking at the pictures you have posted so far.

Archinto

Believe it or not, I actually found my 4th grade sketchbook. Its got drawings I did from 4th grade to 6th grade. You can tell at what point I went to drawing lessons looking at the art, and when Jurassic Park came out as some of my drawing styles changed regarding dinosaurs... haha! I have a lot of drawings in that book. Im going to make a special folder for them at some point on Flickr. Theres a t-rex in there I drew in 4th grade that I'd love to base a sculpture off of. I'll get em up as soon as I have a free moment to waste me some time! :p

As far as new pieces, my artistic flare is trying to get over a hurdle of the douldrums. I have a few pieces to work on and get done, both painting and sculpture wise, but the inspiration has been lacking as of late. Bwah...  ::)

I hope to soon turn this thread into a cool one with lots of paleo art.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Archinto on April 23, 2016, 09:51:02 PM
Believe it or not, I actually found my 4th grade sketchbook. Its got drawings I did from 4th grade to 6th grade. You can tell at what point I went to drawing lessons looking at the art, and when Jurassic Park came out as some of my drawing styles changed regarding dinosaurs... haha! I have a lot of drawings in that book. Im going to make a special folder for them at some point on Flickr. Theres a t-rex in there I drew in 4th grade that I'd love to base a sculpture off of. I'll get em up as soon as I have a free moment to waste me some time! :p

As far as new pieces, my artistic flare is trying to get over a hurdle of the douldrums. I have a few pieces to work on and get done, both painting and sculpture wise, but the inspiration has been lacking as of late. Bwah...  ::)

I hope to soon turn this thread into a cool one with lots of paleo art.

Any idea what you like to do if you had the option?  I find myself asking that when I start getting bored with what I'm doing..a radical genre shift can help too.  It's one reason I like doing a haunted house each October, I get to play with artistic darkside... ;)

Archinto

If I were to do a watercolor I am thinking something from the permian era. Such interesting species during that time.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That could be cool, certainly different to try.

Archinto

I'll get around to adding that sketchbook one of these days, but for now, enjoy this vicious lil bugger!

Approx 1:15 scale, Sphenacodon Ferocior. Made of super sculpey with acrylic paint finish.

Sphenacodon Ferocior by Archinto, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Archinto

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it looks, but not sure yet if I am finally settled on the paint job. I may end up patterning it a little, or adding more speckling. Its really hard to capture the depth of his coloring in photos. Im going to have to play with the lighting a bit.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's a bit subtle..you could go with something more if want to make it bolder. At first glance I thought he kind of resembled the Dimetrodon in your signature.

Kayakasaurus

Great looking sculpt! The shapes of the muscles and flesh look very much like real extant reptiles
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

spinosaurus1

amazing sculpture. i love the mass of the forelimbs. gets me in the mood to modify my dimetrodons. its limbs look a little too skinny. might i ask, how did you sculpt the individual teeth in the mouths?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: