News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Archinto's Dinosaur Art & Sculptures

Started by Archinto, January 23, 2016, 04:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek.McManus

Tyto_Theropod

As usual I'm wowed by these sculpts. It must have taken some serious skill to get the Diatryma to balance on the one foot!
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Newt

You're putting too much work into this to let a faulty toe stand in the way. Lop it off!

Writers are told they must "kill their darlings." Visual artists must do something similar. I feel your pain, believe me, but you'll be happier in the end without that minor flaw nagging at you when the sculpture is done.

Archinto

Yeah... I think some pliers to toe pinching is in store for the diatryma after the weekend.... Im going to make sure my research materials match more current skeletals before I fix the feet. I might have to just clip that wire out that supports that outer toe. I think I'll be able to fix it with minor work. I may also file down the leg scales so I can redo them as well and make them more defined. the magic sculpt is definitely less forgiving than the super sculpey and has a bit of spring-back. Albeit a slow going project, Id like it to be accurate to the rendition Ive chosen to make it. Im more or less just slightly upset that I have to go back and didnt do it right the first time LOLOL ;) Oh well, itll be an easy fix. Just gotta pay closer attention next time is all :) I think itll stand up awesomely once I get the other foot built. Right now the weight is off and it falls backwards. Going to change though.... Interesting project to say the least... Im a lot more in touch with building dinosaurs and permian creatures than terror birds. Still great practice!

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

stargatedalek

You can always save the toe and attach it to the other foot ;)

Archinto

Been a while since I made an update. I've been in a little bit of a rut lately sculpting (I'm also working on a customers maritime painting), but recently made more progress on the Titanophoneus. I decided to give it some mammalian features on its face, and making the skin look more wrinkly and mammal like vs reptilian. I may put a few whiskers on his muzzle once its all finished. Once I get the detailing done on the legs Ill add the toes and bake it before building the tail and the fourth leg.

Titanophoneus potens WIP by Archinto, on Flickr

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Darcisan

Papi-Anon

What type of clay is it you use? I like that it holds detail very well.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Archinto

I use standerd Super Sculpey for the body, and Super Sculpey Firm (gray clay) for the legs feet and extremities. The armatures are made of galvanized mechanics wire, stainless steel lock wire and aluminum foil.

Archinto

More progress on the Titanophoneus! Its so close to being finished, just need to bend an armature for the remaining limb and sculpt, then on to paint! I'm leaning to a more mammalian look for this guy, so any suggestions on colors are welcome :)

RobinGoodfellow

Extremely beautiful figure. Great work as usual.  8)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Perhaps something like an African Wild Dog or a Maned Wolf?

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Maybe black markings around the eyes like that of a cheetah or puma? No ideas about the body however...

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Derek.McManus

Excellent sculpture the wrinkles on the back are wonderfully subtle and the dentition is impressive. I like how you have posed the creature in a dynamic fashion without going over the top...well done!

earth108

These are really beautiful sculpts. The wrinkles on the skin and inner mouth details of Titanophoneus are nicely done. :)
It's good to see those nice teeth. I never succeed to sculpt the sculpey in a nice teeth shape as yours.

Reptilia

Your sculpture is Amazing! Can't wait to see it finished. Would absolutely buy a PVC figure of a Permian beast with such a nice sculpted detail.

Archinto

Thank you for all the kind comments everyone! I started playing with colors and ended up with whats seen here. I present my finished 1:10 scale Titanophoneus potens!

I'll probably enjoy this for a few days before deciding to sell him. I've kindof changed my mind on the diorama idea, so this fella will be a stand alone figure.

Titanophoneus potens by Archinto, on Flickr

Ezikot

what a gorgeous figure!
I really hope you're going to cast your creations in a next future.

Reptilia

Are you going to sell this piece of art?! If I were able to make such things I would never ever sell the original.

Fenestra

That turned out fantastic.
The colours sure suit that beast! Good choice.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: