News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spinosaurus was a dino-penguin!?

Started by PaleoMatt, February 04, 2016, 07:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoMatt

I was looking at spinosaurus the other day and realised it could have a very similar niche to penguins but hunted much much larger creatures! Maybe it was a biped in a therizinosaur like sance which would crawl around on all fours at times.

Patrx

I do not understand the title of this thread, a penguin is a dinosaur.

There has been some interesting "post-Ibrahim" speculation regarding bipedal posture in Spinosaurus. Andrea Cau did some writing on the matter, incorporating a very vertical neck posture proposed by Dale Russell in 1996 along with some sauropod research by Donald Henderson. The resulting image does look somewhat penguinesque, though Cau himself compares it to a pelican.

Gwangi

That's an interesting posture for Spinosaurus, kind of a throwback actually.

And yes, similar to a penguin.

PaleoMatt

Quote from: Patrx on February 04, 2016, 07:43:14 PM
I do not understand the title of this thread, a penguin is a dinosaur.
Yes, that is true :D The Rockhopper Penguin is my favourite dinosaur.

CityRaptor

Spinosaurus is also similar to the Kaiju Titanosaurus.

Semi-aquatic? Check!
Long snout? Check!
Sail on back? Check!
Tripod? Maybe...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Kayakasaurus

Calling a penguin a dinosaur only takes away from the meaning of "dinosaurs" and "birds".
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Patrx

Quote from: TE Matt on February 04, 2016, 08:06:18 PMThe Rockhopper Penguin is my favourite dinosaur.

Good choice! Aesthetically, I also think penguin colors and patterns tend to work well in spinosaurid reconstructions.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on February 04, 2016, 07:52:56 PM
That's an interesting posture for Spinosaurus, kind of a throwback actually.

And yes, similar to a penguin.

That's so cool. Is that one of Katrina van Grouw's drawings?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Silvanusaurus

I've never really thought much before about how weird the outward appearance of a penguin is. For example; if they were long extinct, I can't imagine anyone would think, based on the skeleton alone, to restore an emperor penguin in what would appear to be a 'humanoid' upright posture, without thinking it looked unrealistic or ridiculous. The true nature of Spinosaurus could be something we would never imagine... but this could be as possible as any other theory I suppose.

Also...
Quote from: CityRaptor on February 04, 2016, 08:15:12 PM

Semi-aquatic? Check!
Long snout? Check!
Sail on back? Check!
Tripod? Maybe...

Mind = Blown.

Megalosaurus

I've just googled and found this:

QuoteAquatic Spinosaurus Bird - penguin.
The hump  on it's back stored fat, like a camel, for the times when food was scarce.  It also gave the males plenty of food when the mothers left to fish while the fathers watched the eggs, like modern day emperor penguins.

This remember me of "All yesterdays" and "All your yesterdays".
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 04, 2016, 10:35:54 PM

Yes, from "The Unfeathered Bird" which I shamefully still don't own.

Takama

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 04, 2016, 08:15:12 PM

Semi-aquatic? Check!
Long snout? Check!
Sail on back? Check!
Tripod? Maybe...

IF this Kaiju ever makes it in the gritty reboot series, it should be made to look like a Spinosaur and there should be paleontologists in the movie who argue that Titanosaurus is already taken by a sauropod.

That reminds me. What came first. Titanosaurus the Kaiju? or Titanosaurus the Genus?

stargatedalek

Fairly certain the Kaiju came first, but don't quote me.

Gwangi

I'm fairly certain the dinosaur had the name first.

Halichoeres

Yup. Titanosaurus the genus is Lydekker 1877, but according to Wikipedia the first appearance of the kaiju is Terror of Mechagodzilla in 1975.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

PaleoMatt

Viking Spawn

Not sure.  But all I know is that he got his butt whooped by Godzilla even with Mechagodzilla's help.  You know, that crazy radioactive Tyrannosaur-Stegosaur hybrid in my avatar.....    :P

SBell

I always find it sad that penguins get all the attention, when a Great Auk would be just as good for a stand in. Especially given the long snout

But really, Spinosaurus looked like Spinosaurus.

PaleoMatt

Ah yes the Great Auk :) But penguins are my favourite animal :P

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on February 05, 2016, 12:36:03 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 04, 2016, 10:35:54 PM

Yes, from "The Unfeathered Bird" which I shamefully still don't own.

I do own it, but apparently I need to go through it again! Beautiful book.

Quote from: TE Matt on February 05, 2016, 05:59:02 PM
Isn't titanosaurus a nodem dubium?

Yeah, it is. Bummer, because it's a good name if you ask me.

Auks are the original penguins! The word "penguin" was first used to describe the great auk (its genus name is even Pinguinus). The ones down south were named after it. Too bad it's not around to reclaim its own name.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: