You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs of China exhibition - Nottingham

Started by DinoToyForum, February 19, 2016, 08:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

"Featuring fossils and specimens never before seen outside of Asia, the exhibition, which will be hosted at Wollaton Hall, with an additional satellite exhibition at Nottingham Lakeside Arts, will bring to life the story of how dinosaurs evolved into the birds that live alongside us today.

The exhibition includes the best preserved dinosaur fossils from anywhere in the world, not just the bones, but also soft parts including skin and feathers. Many of the species are new to science, only discovered and named in the last 20 years, and some as recently as 2015."

See here for more details:

http://www.mynottinghamnews.com/dinosaurs/
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/news/pressreleases/2016/february/worlds-largest-feathered-dinosaur-coming-to-nottingham.aspx

Now you know why I'm so busy. The Nottingham Natural History Museum, Wollaton Hall, could be an especially good venue for a Dinotoyforum meet-up in 2017!?

The exhibition will also include several huge dinosaur skeleton casts, including Gigantoraptor.

ceratopsian

Very exciting!  It would provide a wonderful opportunity for meeting up - and maybe having a special guided tour!

Moodyraptor

ceratopsian

I hope that you have made clear to the museum shop what they should be selling to go with the exhibition! :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 19, 2016, 12:38:07 PM
I hope that you have made clear to the museum shop what they should be selling to go with the exhibition! :)

I'll do my best! There are dinosaurs in the museum shop right now, but not necessarily ones we'd consider adding to our own collections! ;)

ceratopsian

That's exactly what I expected you to say, I fear!  Seriously, I'm really looking forward to this.  I have a soft spot for Wollaton Hall, as it was my local museum when I was a child.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 19, 2016, 05:43:36 PM
That's exactly what I expected you to say, I fear!  Seriously, I'm really looking forward to this.  I have a soft spot for Wollaton Hall, as it was my local museum when I was a child.

So, you'll be acquainted with George the Gorilla then. :) You might even remember when the giraffe was located in the main hall? Funny to think that some giant long-necked dinosaurs will be in his old spot next summer!

DinoToyForum

Nice video report filmed today at the museum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86entkYU68

ceratopsian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 19, 2016, 07:20:25 PM

So, you'll be acquainted with George the Gorilla then. :) You might even remember when the giraffe was located in the main hall? Funny to think that some giant long-necked dinosaurs will be in his old spot next summer!

I do indeed remember the giraffe and marvelling at it - though it looked a bit moth-eaten!  I have strong memories of a couple of large ammonites.  And of the aquarium-sized dioramas of stuffed animals.  This would have been in the 1960s and early 1970s.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 19, 2016, 11:22:37 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 19, 2016, 07:20:25 PM

I do indeed remember the giraffe and marvelling at it - though it looked a bit moth-eaten!  I have strong memories of a couple of large ammonites.  And of the aquarium-sized dioramas of stuffed animals.  This would have been in the 1960s and early 1970s.

It still is rather worn, but that's the price we pay for having it on open display. It is essentially a handling specimen these days. The ammonites are still on display, but many of the large dioramas were dismantled.

Sim

This looks good!  Have you been enjoying working on this, Dr Admin?

I have to comment on Gigantoraptor being referred to as the largest feathered dinosaur known though, as I think that was only considered true until 2012.  No Gigantoraptor fossils preserve evidence of feathers as far as I know, although now there's no reason to think it would have been featherless.  However, there are two dinosaurs that are larger than Gigantoraptor and which have fossils that preserve evidence of feathers: Yutyrannus and Deinocheirus.

Gigantoraptor is an amazing animal, and being one of the largest feathered dinosaurs is no less impressive than being the largest one.  It is still easily the largest oviraptorosaur though.

suspsy

Deinocheirus was definitely larger than Gigantoraptor, but Yutyrannus appears to have been smaller. They probably weighed around the same.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

My understanding is prehistoric animal lengths are normally measured along the vertebral column in a straight line, and not hypothetical life position.  Neither of those size comparisons take that into account.  That makes both a bit too big, but the Gigantoraptor is affected more because of its greater curves.

Gigantoraptor appears to have been a bit taller than Yutyrannus, while Yutyrannus is a bit longer than Gigantoraptor.  They would have probably been an overall similar size.  Gigantoraptor's weight has been estimated at 1400 kg, Yutyrannus's at 1414 kg, so you're right they probably weighed around the same.

And yes, Deinocheirus is definitely bigger than both!

DinoToyForum

DinoToyForum

The BBC picked up on the announcement:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-35614151

They give the impression that the actual fossil bones of Gigantoraptor will be displayed, but this particular specimen will be a cast.

ceratopsian

It occurred to me to ask: do you know if anything is planned to accompany the exhibition?  E.g. a day conference?  Anything of that sort?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 23, 2016, 02:56:41 PM
It occurred to me to ask: do you know if anything is planned to accompany the exhibition?  E.g. a day conference?  Anything of that sort?

Too early to say but when further details are announced I'll share them here :)

ceratopsian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 23, 2016, 03:24:45 PM
Too early to say but when further details are announced I'll share them here :)

Thank you!

DinoToyForum

The exhibition needs a name! You can tell us which of the three versions we've come up with you like best, or suggest your own, in this poll:

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/UKNCC/bulletins/1395426

I'd be especially interested in the opinions of this forum.  8)

DinoToyForum

The exhibition now has an official name and is seeking sponsors!

More info in the following press release: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/news/pressreleases/2016/may/dinosaur-super-predators-in-search-of-sponsors.aspx

The story also reveals another species included in the exhibition: Sinraptor!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: