News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Japanese capsule toys?

Started by bigbear, March 18, 2016, 07:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbear

Hi! I've been looking around this forum, but can't seem to find a thread dedicated to Japanese Gashapon Dinosaurs. Is there one? I've seen the Kaiyodo thread, but what about Furuta, Kinto, Bandai, etc.? I've only recently discovered the joys of these little gems and want to learn more. Anybody care to share their knowledge, please?

Roselaar

I think Kaiyodo is the only company with a thread of its own which is visited and updated frequently. Information on the various Asian brands is somewhat sketchy here unfortunately.

Halichoeres

It might be worth starting such a thread? Hell, you could rename and move this thread and use it for that purpose. I think people would contribute what they could.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Considering the number of Japanese Gashapon companies, a single thread for all of them (except Kaiyodo perhaps), might not be a bad idea. Sure beats retrieving old company threads every time.

bigbear

I'll have to sort throughh my cabinet and try to put together a few lists to get this started...

sauroid

hi yes there are people in the forum who collect Kaiyodo and other Japanese gashapon prehistoric figures. here are some of mine.

[url=https://postimg.cc/n9qX5sV7]

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

ITdactyl

From what I've noticed, people are still sharing their figures from Furuta, Kinto, Bandai etc. but on their personal collections/acquisitions pages - not on a thread dedicated to the specific brand.  There are some figure reviews on the dinotoyblog (for the brands that you listed).

I'm not aware of those brands releasing dinosaur gashapon figures in recent years (unlike Kaiyodo, who continued producing dinosaur gachas in their Capsule Q line).  If memory serves, we had dedicated threads for the other brands in the old forum but since they haven't been producing new figures, perhaps members just didn't see fit to (re)create the threads in this iteration of the forum.

I'm sure we have members willing to answer your questions about those brands, and if you browse the forum enough, you'll find that collection pictures members have already shared.

Halichoeres

A reference thread for some of the companies that only dabble in the prehistoric might be pretty useful. There are many out there: Bandai, Furuta, Kabaya, Takara Tomy, Yujin (now a subsidiary of Takara Tomy). Arguably you could include Sega/Playmates and Hayakawa, or some of the exhibition figures whose makers are unknown, like Dawn of the Dinosaurs or Dinosaurs of Gondwana.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

Almost forgot Eikoh. They're not that good but some people might be interested: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5873.0

SBell

I'm one of many people here that have lots of them, from many manufacturers. A word of warning--they are highly addictive, and once you have one, you will never be able to stop >:D I literally started with one Dinotales series 1 brontothere...I now have hundreds of them.

Seriously, though, they are great little models, and while Kaiyodo is easily the best (either the Dinotales or the later Capsule Museum series) most of the other brands have some worthwhile ones as well.

That said, many are long out of production, and can get expensive to track down without a source in Japan. Of course, if you want to kickstart a collection, try contacting Brett avatar_brettnj @brettnj who has sources in Japan, as well as quite the availability of models for sale directly.

brettnj

With thanks to Sean...

Yes, if you are interested in any of these (including, say, the entire Dinotales series 1-7...    ;  )     ), I have or can get you virtually any/all of them.

Two extraordinary sets to take notice of (beyond Kaiyodos), if you haven't already, are the Dioramasaurus set of 8 and especially the UHA Collect Club prehistoric set of 8 (+ variant and secret).

Good luck.
Brett

Halichoeres

For the curious, I have learned that the Dinosaurs of Gondwana figures from 2009 were made by Bandai.

Mapusaurus & Nigersaurus:

Cryolophosaurus:

DinoToyForum

Original topic and duplicate topic (created by a spam bot - it tricked a lot of members into replying) merged (and spam post deleted).  C:-)

Halichoeres

Kabaya is currently offering a set of skeletons based on some dinosaurs from the Kitadani formation:

Kabaya is a candy company (a little like Yowie), so these come with candies, and it looks like, similar to Kabaya's old Kazunari Araki set, the Fukuititan is split up among the other four (Fukuiraptor, Fukuisaurus, Fukuivenator, and Koshisaurus).

Also, these little prehistoric baubles might interest some people:

L to R: Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Deinosuchus (interesting choice!), mammoth, and Parasaurolophus

Halichoeres

Some offbeat offerings from this summer:

Koro Koro: finger puppets

Tyrannosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Mosasaurus, Pachycephalosaurus

Yell: hungry hungry dino keychains

Yell: finger puppets

Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Pachycephalosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Carnotaurus, Dunkleosteus (that last one is almost tempting)

Yell: nightlight dinos

Tyrannosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Plesiosaurus, Pteranodon, Parasaurolophus
Spinosaurus, Triceratops, Ankylosaurus, ammonite, Stegosaurus

Halichoeres

I guess they don't really qualify as toys, but apparently you can buy fossils from capsule machines in Japan.

The text as translated by my phone suggests these are genuine, but if I'm wrong I hope somebody will correct me:

They seem to be distributed by this fossil and mineral dealer: https://www.tokyo-science.co.jp/

Halichoeres

In case you need something to suspend your tea bag:

Four versions of Ankylosaurus, and two of Futabasaurus.

Halichoeres

UK

Reuben03

does anyone know of any gachapon ammonites that float?
like im sureee i saw one or a takara tomy one or something but im not sure, thanks.

(like this)

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: