News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Quote from: Concavenator on August 20, 2023, 05:42:45 PMA spectacular-looking Patagotitan! I wish Safari had delivered something similar to it, at least conceptually-wise. The CollectA Ruyangosaurus comes to mind, a much better titanosaur figure than Safari's Patagotitan in my opinion.

Have you thought about doing a full-collection tour?

I would agree with your opinion on the CollectA Ruyangosaurus.

As for a full-collection tour - I wouldn't know where to start even!

Halichoeres

Wow, that's stunning. I've seen his work here and there before, but he's really outdone himself with this one.

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 19, 2023, 03:37:38 PMWith some thought I worked out where it could live and went ahead.
I don't suppose that means it's destined to become furniture. It almost looks large enough to be sat on!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Gosh, that sauropod is mind blowing. I really need to think about acquiring one of these huge pieces!

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 20, 2023, 08:22:22 PMAs for a full-collection tour - I wouldn't know where to start even!
PLEASE!!! Sorry for the capitalization, but seeing full collection tours always is a site to see.

Concavenator

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 20, 2023, 08:22:22 PMAs for a full-collection tour - I wouldn't know where to start even!

Well, we all start somewhere, don't we?  ^-^

ceratopsian

A dark model room - purposely chosen to keep the sun away from my models - and mirrored backs to the cabinet shelves there makes photography very difficult of the main collection.  Plus models are to be found scattered around in 5 other rooms in the house.

Quote from: Concavenator on August 21, 2023, 02:47:35 PM

Well, we all start somewhere, don't we?  ^-^

Halichoeres

I have just one mirrored cabinet, and it is definitely the trickiest part of my collection to photograph!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Crackington

Yes, glass cabinets and mirrors make collection-wide photos difficult with flash or ghostly reflections of yourself ending up in the images!

I've often wondered whether doing a video of the collection could be the answer and posting it on the DinoToyBlog videos bit (with Dr Admin's help)?

Could still be tricky though and I'm with Ceratopsian in not being sure how to go about it.

Perhaps Ceratopsian's beautiful photos of models from her collection on here are enough in any case? She's kindly shares many of them with us (though like a true artist, leaves us wanting more!).

ceratopsian

A while ago I took photos of the newly arrived CollectA Koolasuchus. Then my hands and arms worsened temporarily as I'd overdone things, so the photos were left in limbo.  Here, belatedly, is my record.  I collect mostly dinosaurs but I'm always keen to fill in other Mesozoic (or indeed Palaeozoic!) creatures on the rare occasions they are on offer - and so often it's CollectA that obliges.  Temnospondyls are close to my heart from my childhood because of my childhood introduction to and fondness for its much older early Permian relative, Eryops (of which I have the SenSen model).  Koolasuchus is particularly intriguing as its the latest known of the temnospondyl lineage.

A fine view of the inside of the roof of its mouth - though it seems to have got itself stranded lunging after some unfortunate prey item!

But it made it back off the boulder, undeterred!  The tongue is massive...

Water would have finished the shot off nicely - but my pond is encircled by an electric wire as a heron deterrent!

If you want hi-res photos, here's the link to my Flickr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72177720308953722

Bread

Mannnn... I am sitting here waiting for Everything Dinosaur to restock this so I can send it to Martin! Will you be doing the same?

This looks beautiful, well done! And I hope your hands and arms get better. Wellness and health are more important than prehistoric models ;)

ceratopsian

Thanks avatar_Bread @Bread. I look forward to seeing yours in the fullness of time. On this occasion I won't be going for a repaint. I'm happy with the factory version - but I'm sure Martin will make a wonderful life-like job when he eventually gets his hands on it!

Quote from: Bread on August 22, 2023, 12:24:19 PMMannnn... I am sitting here waiting for Everything Dinosaur to restock this so I can send it to Martin! Will you be doing the same?

This looks beautiful, well done! And I hope your hands and arms get better. Wellness and health are more important than prehistoric models ;)

Halichoeres

Great photos! The Koolasuchus is definitely one of this year's highlights for me. CollectA really nailed it for their first prehistoric amphibian.

Hope your arms and hands are holding up well (pun not intended, but grudgingly recognized).

ceratopsian

Thanks avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres. Much improved from when it all began a year ago!  The key is managing how much I do and varying type of usage.

Concavenator

Glad we finally got a Koolasuchus figure, and a great one at that. A creepy yet charismatic animal.

postsaurischian

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 22, 2023, 12:20:41 PMA while ago I took photos of the newly arrived CollectA Koolasuchus. .......

Another bullseye by CollectA and another evidence why this company is important for collectors.
 Who else produces prehistoric amphibians?

ceratopsian

ceratopsian

The chunky and impressively substantial Stegouros by CollectA arrived in the same parcel from Everything Dinosaur as the Koolasuchus.  They must both have been popular - I see that ED is out of stock of both.  (Of course I don't know how many they ordered.)  A little while ago Martin Garratt showed on Facebook his own repaint of the Stegouros.  It looked stunning, to the point that I've been considering sending mine up to him.  But the factory version is excellent.

The link to my Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72177720310852228/with/52946197849/

Bread

Gosh I wish this model was smaller. It is really nice. Congratulations!

Also, I had no clue Martin Garrett had a facebook page. Does he share his repaints or build ups of kits often?

ceratopsian

He does, avatar_Bread @Bread, but only infrequently. Just search on his name (spelt Garratt).

Quote from: Bread on August 31, 2023, 12:33:02 PMGosh I wish this model was smaller. It is really nice. Congratulations!

Also, I had no clue Martin Garrett had a facebook page. Does he share his repaints or build ups of kits often?

Flaffy

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 31, 2023, 10:22:08 AM

I love the attention to detail on the club. CollectA basically managed to accurately capture every single detail about it, especially the tiny 8th pair of knubs at the distal end.

ceratopsian

The larger scale allows such tiny details to shine through more easily. Even so, well done CollectA for getting it right!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: