News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO dinosaurs

Started by Fluffysaurus, March 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: Remko on June 27, 2019, 09:12:35 PM
Anyone else here has display problems with their Giganotosaurus? Mine just fell of it's base...

Will look into it this weekend. Adding a thicker support rod beneath the leg should do the trick.

Mine's been fine since I got it. Just made sure the toes on the right foot lined up with the small indents in the base.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Killekor

I'm surprised to see how many figures is releasing PNSO. It almost looks as the team of the company is working all the day and all the night on their figures!
Anyways, the Dakosaurus is a Must Have! I'll probably get it.
I'm each day more impatient to see a Sinornithosaurus from PNSO.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

ItsTwentyBelow

Wow you guys, just wow!

I have REALLY not been paying enough attention to what is happening with these PNSO folks!

Ever since their initial release of those first few massive, out-of-scale hollow vinyl figures years ago, they just haven't produced anything I feel like I need in my collection. I was really liking the look of the recent minis but could only ever find them on Amazon, where I would have to wait months to see them for an ok price. The new Amargasaurus, and the Yang/Chung diorama are awesome, but sooo not worth the price. So I don't have any PNSO figures currently, but have always thought they were very well researched and sculpted.

Then I noticed this new Dakosaurus being discussed the other day and was just blown away. Thing looks real. Even the in-hand photos. Now PNSO has a 1:40 to 1:35 line, and it's also affordable?! Only THEN did I see the Spinops and Eurhinosaurus, which are also breathtaking!

So thanks to everyone who recommended and linked to the Aliexpress seller, because I now have two wonderful new genera (Spinops and Eurhino) on the way to my collection. Chose to get them both in box. Man I can't wait to see these!

Concavenator

avatar_ItsTwentyBelow @ItsTwentyBelow did you also see their Ankylosaurus, for that same line?
I'm not exaggerating when I say it's one of the best dinosaur figures ever made.That thing is incredible.

stargatedalek

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on June 28, 2019, 05:44:47 PM
Wow you guys, just wow!

I have REALLY not been paying enough attention to what is happening with these PNSO folks!

Ever since their initial release of those first few massive, out-of-scale hollow vinyl figures years ago, they just haven't produced anything I feel like I need in my collection. I was really liking the look of the recent minis but could only ever find them on Amazon, where I would have to wait months to see them for an ok price. The new Amargasaurus, and the Yang/Chung diorama are awesome, but sooo not worth the price. So I don't have any PNSO figures currently, but have always thought they were very well researched and sculpted.

Then I noticed this new Dakosaurus being discussed the other day and was just blown away. Thing looks real. Even the in-hand photos. Now PNSO has a 1:40 to 1:35 line, and it's also affordable?! Only THEN did I see the Spinops and Eurhinosaurus, which are also breathtaking!

So thanks to everyone who recommended and linked to the Aliexpress seller, because I now have two wonderful new genera (Spinops and Eurhino) on the way to my collection. Chose to get them both in box. Man I can't wait to see these!
The miniatures are also available from Minizoo now.

tanystropheus

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on June 28, 2019, 05:44:47 PM
Wow you guys, just wow!

As much as I love their newer deluxe figures (especially since they look like Sideshow and are about 1/3rd or a 1/4th the price), they are not very practical as far as space, and the price really adds up when you take into account the number of models. The new 1/35 line is a breath of fresh air as I was always hoping that SS would make models in this scale and this is the next best thing. I do have a feeling PNSO will re-release their first generation models in a smaller scale or with newer paint jobs.

ItsTwentyBelow

Thanks I did see the Ankylosaurus, which I agree is nice, but is not as exotic a species in 1:35 scale compared to the ones I picked  ;)

Good to know retailers like Minizoo are beginning to carry PNSO. Hopefully these ship quicker than 25 days, but oh well. Maybe one day they could be found in museum gift shops in North America, the presentation with the boxes being so nice.

My surprise and excitement at seeing this brand new Spinops was similar to how I felt upon seeing the new Battat Pachycephalosaurus posted on here in August 2014. Both being very well-crafted, nicely scaled ceratopsians, main difference is that I immediately went to Target and had that Pachyrhinosaurus in hand by the end of that day!  >:D

These PNSO figures ought to be worth the wait; that Eurhinosaurus makes me imagine a tropical, sunny paleoart seascape.

tanystropheus

I was actually very surprised with the PNSO Ankylosaurus. It already looks more appealing (naturalistic) than the already well-executed Safari version and has a charming, lovable pose (it's also super-accurate, perhaps even more so than the WS). My previous favorite Ankylosaurus was the inaccurate but aesthetically pleasant Favorite version. The Papo version was a chimera (as is the case with almost every Ankys in the market) featuring aspects of Tarchia and Euoplocephalus.

Sadly, the PNSO Stegosaurus was the least stunning of the new crop. The tail displays a bizarre curvature. The model appears even less impressive when compared to obvious standouts such as their very own Chungkingosaurus models or the relatively obscure Wuerhosaurus by Vitae.

tanystropheus

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on June 28, 2019, 08:17:48 PM

These PNSO figures ought to be worth the wait; that Eurhinosaurus makes me imagine a tropical, sunny paleoart seascape.

It definitely looks alive with that shimmering coat of paint and naturalistic pose! Even their Ophthalmosaurus looks like a living, breathing animal minus the static pose which resembles a wall-mounted swordfish.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 28, 2019, 09:11:27 PM
I was actually very surprised with the PNSO Ankylosaurus. It already looks more appealing (naturalistic) than the already well-executed Safari version and has a charming, lovable pose (it's also super-accurate, perhaps even more so than the WS). My previous favorite Ankylosaurus was the inaccurate but aesthetically pleasant Favorite version. The Papo version was a chimera (as is the case with almost every Ankys in the market) featuring aspects of Tarchia and Euoplocephalus.

Sadly, the PNSO Stegosaurus was the least stunning of the new crop. The tail displays a bizarre curvature. The model appears even less impressive when compared to obvious standouts such as their very own Chungkingosaurus models or the relatively obscure Wuerhosaurus by Vitae.

All the new PNSOs are above and beyond what other companies have done so far. Even the Stegosaurus- I not sure what you mean by bizarre curvature, but as far as I can tell this is the best combination of accuracy and detail available in a plastic figure. The Safari Stegosaurus is accurate enough (though I've read some criticism with the accuracy of the Sophie mount it's based on), but the detail, paint application, and overall presentation is not as good as PNSO IMO.

The Vitae Stegosaurus (uh... "Wuherosaurus"... sure...) is almost as good but the paint application is not as detailed. And of course the short plates and shoulder spikes are imaginary.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 28, 2019, 11:20:30 PM

All the new PNSOs are above and beyond what other companies have done so far. Even the Stegosaurus- I not sure what you mean by bizarre curvature, but as far as I can tell this is the best combination of accuracy and detail available in a plastic figure. The Safari Stegosaurus is accurate enough (though I've read some criticism with the accuracy of the Sophie mount it's based on), but the detail, paint application, and overall presentation is not as good as PNSO IMO.

Yeah, I will definitely pick up the Stegosaurus. I don't have one in-hand and I'm sure I must have missed the details/subtleties the model has to offer just based on photos.

Regarding the 'bizarre curvature' comment, I feel the tail looks a bit crooked in the first picture. I could be wrong. Can a Stegosaurus bend its tail in that manner? For example, isn't the arc too high?

http://dinotoyblog.com/2019/06/07/stegosaurus-pnso/

Dinoguy2

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 28, 2019, 11:24:20 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 28, 2019, 11:20:30 PM

Yeah, I will definitely pick up the Stegosaurus. I don't have one in-hand and I'm sure I must have missed the details/subtleties the model has to offer just based on photos.

Regarding the 'bizarre curvature' comment, I feel the tail looks a bit crooked in the first picture. I could be wrong. Can a Stegosaurus bend its tail in that manner?

http://dinotoyblog.com/2019/06/07/stegosaurus-pnso/

It's definitely not as good looking as their Ankylosaurus, but it's the best Stegosaurus around. I'm actually holding back on buying the Ankylosaurus because it's not 1:35 but every time I look at it I come close to caving 😉

And yes, the tail could absolutely bend and droop. Here's a detailed breakdown: https://reptilis.net/2015/06/09/jurassic-world-and-the-case-of-the-droopy-tailed-stegosaurus/

The myth of rod-straight dinosaur tails needs to die already. Living animals would not spend energy keeping their tails up just because they're allergic to dirt or something... they would be straight at the base due to leg musculature but more flexible past the first third or so (like varanid tails), unless something like ossified tendons held them straight. Anyway, I don't think it's as crooked as it looks, the tail gently drops downward but the plates are straight, so it looks like a sharp bend from the angle of that photo.

Dino Scream3232

Got the new spinops yesterday. It's a good figure. My biggest issue is the paint apps on the head. Don't like the caked up dirty look filling in the details on the face. The muzzle and mouth detail are lost in it. Just wish those features were a little more defined. Still like the model overall but the mini version is still better imo. https://youtu.be/__JJH4CjgFE

KeU

Remko

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 28, 2019, 11:28:50 PM
I'm actually holding back on buying the Ankylosaurus because it's not 1:35 but every time I look at it I come close to caving 😉

What do you mean that the Ankylosaurus isn't 1:35th scale? Because it most definitely is.  ???

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Remko on July 03, 2019, 10:29:18 PM
I'm actually holding back on buying the Ankylosaurus because it's not 1:35 but every time I look at it I come close to caving 😉

What do you mean that the Ankylosaurus isn't 1:35th scale? Because it most definitely is.  ???

I guess I'd have to measure the skull to be sure, but based on the blog entry for it it seems more like 1:30. It's larger than the Carnegie Ankylosaurs which itself is pushing it for being 1:35. I suspect people are using length estimates without any regard for the proportions in sometimes very differently proportioned reconstructions. Scaled to the largest known skull, a modern "shorter tail" ankylosaurs would be about 6-7m long. If the PNSO one is 9" long, that would be too big.

Takama

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on July 03, 2019, 10:45:42 PM
Quote from: Remko on July 03, 2019, 10:29:18 PM

I guess I'd have to measure the skull to be sure, but based on the blog entry for it it seems more like 1:30. It's larger than the Carnegie Ankylosaurs which itself is pushing it for being 1:35. I suspect people are using length estimates without any regard for the proportions in sometimes very differently proportioned reconstructions. Scaled to the largest known skull, a modern "shorter tail" ankylosaurs would be about 6-7m long. If the PNSO one is 9" long, that would be too big.

It could be a particularly well-nourished alpha Ankylosaurus!

tanystropheus

Btw, is there a list of all the 1:35 or 1:40 PNSO minis?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: