News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO dinosaurs

Started by Fluffysaurus, March 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Faras on November 29, 2021, 04:49:51 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 29, 2021, 04:09:44 PM
That amargasaurus is a special limited paint version? I say this because I have the triceratops limited paint version from the same PNSO brand and it cost me a fortune over a year ago.

Nay Amargasaurus got a paint revision :) they replaced old ones with it in Chinese stores around June or July iirc.

Thanks for the info. :)

Antey

Quote from: Andre on November 27, 2021, 05:41:59 PM
avatar_Antey @Antey are you sure you got the new version? I ordered it, but received the old one instead. I know because of the artwork on tha box and the internal artwork as well. I have contacted PNSO and they will refund me :(
Unfortunately, you are right, many buyers received the old gray version instead of the promised 2021 version. But I really have a new version. If you go to the PNSO brand store on Aliexpress, you can compare the photos of the recently received figures. Mine is there too. My main tone is yellow, brown stripes on the sides, contrasting, yellow cheeks. The old one, which was received by the deceived customers, has everything dull gray, the stripes are hardly visible.

Antey

I saw in the reviews on the review of the first (unnamed) version of the tyrannosaurus that people regret that they did not have time to buy it in due time and now they cannot buy it at a normal price. There are as many as 160 units in stock right now on Aliexpress in the Model toy Center store for about $ 45.

SRF

I'll just post this here since it applies to PNSO's 2020 and 2021 releases. Currently there's quite a big sale going on on AliExpress in which PNSO's own store participates. The discounts on some of their figures are quite interesting. I decided to get the Triceratops right away since now it is even cheaper with VAT included than the normal price excluding the VAT. I also purchased the Pachyrhinosaurus, since it was quite cheap now (20 Euro including the VAT) and was always on my want list. 

The discounts are applied quite randomly, but unfortunately not on the new Centrosaurus and also not on the Olorotitan. However there are still a lot of figures to choose from.

The sale lasts 5 days in total so it seems that this is a good week to catch up on PNSO releases!
But today, I'm just being father

SidB

Thanks for the heads' up avatar_SRF @SRF .

SRF

Today I received my Pachyrhinosaurus. Funny that this one came alone while I purchased it at the same time as the Triceratops. Since I ordered them separately somehow one package travelled faster than the other.

Anyway, I've already seen somewhere that the Pachyrhinosaurus has a bit of a different paintjob now compared to its initial release. Just wanted to confirm this to others who are planning on purchasing this figure. The colors are much more bland on my copy, but also a bit more natural perhaps. I think it's down to personal preference which one is better. Luckily, it isn't as big of a downgrade as was the case with the Ankylosaurus.

Lastly, just like the newer releases, the older releases in the Prehistoric Animals line now come with a small booklet and a seperate poster, which is a nice touch and actually an upgrade from the leaflets they used to include with the figures.

need4swede

Quote from: SRF on January 19, 2022, 07:14:33 PM
the Pachyrhinosaurus has a bit of a different paintjob now compared to its initial release.

Apart from the Ankylo; is this often the case? I'm fairly new to collecting, but this sort of thing is becoming more and more common, but I could be wrong. If this is PNSO's way to catching pre-orders, they're going about it all wrong.
- Swede

JohannesB

Quote from: need4swede on January 19, 2022, 08:15:26 PM
the Pachyrhinosaurus has a bit of a different paintjob now compared to its initial release.

Apart from the Ankylo; is this often the case? I'm fairly new to collecting, but this sort of thing is becoming more and more common, but I could be wrong. If this is PNSO's way to catching pre-orders, they're going about it all wrong.

I believe our fellow DTF member Dinoguy2 can tell you more about why paint jobs get worse over time.

His U-toob video on the topic:
https://youtu.be/xpuqHuYH34I

Bread

Quote from: need4swede on January 19, 2022, 08:15:26 PM

Honestly it is common. Initial releases or first batches if you'd like to call it, have noticeable differences in paint applications,usually sometimes its a downgrade in quality. It first started with their Ankylosaurus, but now I would guess its with any of their older figures. Their Spinops and Dakosaurus has a recent color change. Slight striping added to both if I recall correctly. Their version 1 Amargasaurus has a downgrade in paint application. However I'd argue their version 2 is superior overall in color scheme so I wouldn't worry about it, unless you prefer the color scheme of version 1. Overall, these examples I listed are perhaps a trend for PNSO.

So if you really like the initial figure, purchase it, or at least don't wait over 6 months to purchase said figure. New batch could process and slight change in quality/paint application could sway your opinion on the figure.

SRF

I wonder if it has anything to do with PNSO changing factories perhaps. I think avatar_Faras @Faras mentioned it somewhere that it was rumoured that PNSO changed factories in early 2021, when they released the Parasaurolophus. That would explain the increase in quality of the scale detail on PNSO's figures, but also the change in paint. Initially the Pachyrhinosaurus was quite close to the prototype images, but in later models like the Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, Andrea, the Iguanodon and the Centrosaurus the difference between the in hand models and the prototypes was much bigger. Especially the heads of those figures are colored less complex and with more dark shades than on the promo images.

The coloration of the "new" Pachyrhinosaurus reminds me of the colors on those figures. The colors are much closer to the Centrosaurus now and the head is colored less bright red, but more of a muddy brown color.

Faras

Yeah from what I know they also changed factories before releasing Microraptor, roughly the same time when older figures like Ankylosaurus got paints downgrade. On the other hand, paints on Sinoceratops and Mochairoceratops changed in 2021 as well. New Sinoceratops got less gloss and shading on the head, the body is more yellowish. Stripes on new Mochairoceratops are visibly thinner compared to mine from first batch:
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7661950473
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7661957167

Later batches of Parasaurolophus only got slightly different paints due to toning (seems to me that 2020 figures are indeed now painted by different hands, hence bigger changes):
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7462408981

Tho sometimes they fix flaws with later batches: new baby T. rex got painted teeth, brighter eyes and more yellow on the back:
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7537679323?pid=141292842757&cid=0&red_tag=2379526432#141292842757

tbh it's probably better to grab the figures early if you like paints on first batches. Depending on popularity of the figures, stocks of first batches usually last 3-6 months.

Antey

Quote from: SRF on January 20, 2022, 07:42:05 AM
The coloration of the "new" Pachyrhinosaurus reminds me of the colors on those figures. The colors are much closer to the Centrosaurus now and the head is colored less bright red, but more of a muddy brown color.
Good news! The red nose of the first version was terrible, like a cancerous tumor. Now you can buy.

need4swede

Quote from: Faras on January 20, 2022, 10:05:57 AM
tbh it's probably better to grab the figures early if you like paints on first batches. Depending on popularity of the figures, stocks of first batches usually last 3-6 months.

This seems to be the case, indeed. Being fairly new to the space, this "issue" has been very apparent to me because of how far off from release some of my purchases have been. Apart from possible cost differences, I wonder if this has the indirect effect of encouraging collectors to "get in when the getting's good", as opposed to wait until the models either drop in price or become more widely available. The brands gain the benefit of a successful release and the acquired confidence from vendors who channel their products, in addition to [possibly] saving production costs en masse later in the product's lifespan - along with selling their products to "less serious" collectors, or those less likely to have a sizable audience that watch their reviews of the figures.

Could be a lot of factors like that - some I might be wrong about, many more I probably missed. But I am confident that these ideas have [at some point in time] reached the desk of some executive at these brands, like PNSO. I highly doubt they haven't thought about these things, at the very least.
- Swede

SRF

I'm not sure about this, but is a difference in coloration and paint application not quite common among other brands as well? I thought Papo figures suffer from the same issue. I also saw some pictures of Safari's feathered T. Rex (not the repaint) with a slightly different paintjob as mine as well. 

Yesterday I received my latest PNSO purchases. Very fast shipping by the way, I ordered the Pachyrhinosaurus (which I already received on Wednesday) and Triceratops from PNSO's store and the baby T. Rex Aaron from My Online Toy Store.

I'm happy with my purchases, especially with the Triceratops. This one will end up very high on my tier list. It displays much better with Wilson than Andrea does I feel, it's pretty cool to have them on my shelf together.  :)

JohannesB

If the figures were to (almost) exactly look like the promotional model/pictures, one would have to pay a much higher price, because I assume the promotional model is painted by a professional, taking a relatively long time. I never assume the model I buy will look the same as the promotional pictures, since painting makes up most of the total cost-price of the model. Paint apps will almost always differ from the promotional photo's, but often quite nice for the price. I am very happy with the PNSO models I have (Iguanodon, Triceratops, Tarbosaurus and Tyrannosaurus (latest)). But then again, everybody's standards and expectations are different.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 30, 2021, 01:41:13 PM
Quote from: Faras on November 29, 2021, 04:49:51 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 29, 2021, 04:09:44 PM
That amargasaurus is a special limited paint version? I say this because I have the triceratops limited paint version from the same PNSO brand and it cost me a fortune over a year ago.

Nay Amargasaurus got a paint revision :) they replaced old ones with it in Chinese stores around June or July iirc.

Thanks for the info. :)
Everything_Dinosaur also have the new colour PNSO Amargasaurus in
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Dinoguy2

Quote from: JohannesB on January 21, 2022, 12:54:55 PM
If the figures were to (almost) exactly look like the promotional model/pictures, one would have to pay a much higher price, because I assume the promotional model is painted by a professional, taking a relatively long time. I never assume the model I buy will look the same as the promotional pictures, since painting makes up most of the total cost-price of the model. Paint apps will almost always differ from the promotional photo's, but often quite nice for the price. I am very happy with the PNSO models I have (Iguanodon, Triceratops, Tarbosaurus and Tyrannosaurus (latest)). But then again, everybody's standards and expectations are different.

Right, promo photos are almost always paint masters, not production samples. This is true across most companies. The promos almost always look better because they are painted either by the original sculptor themselves or someone else who spends hours making the figure look it's best. That then gets sent to the factory, where a worker needs to get as close as possible to the paint master using a more limited color palette and under extreme time constraints.

Still, occasionally the initial production samples look as good or even better then the paint masters/prototypes. The white plate Carnegie Stegosaurus featured in my video linked above is the same level of detail as the promo photos. Another example that pops to mind is the original Carnegie Elasmosaurus. The promo photos look worse than the initial production samples. A lot different, but the first run figures are inarguably more detailed and look nicer. Later production runs of course dropped a lot of the detailing and look cheap.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Faelrin

This makes me glad I was able to get my hands on the original batch of Parasaurolophus and Lambeosaurus when I was able to afford them back then. They are truly some of my absolute favorite figures in my entire collection, and part of that is due to how faithful they were to the prototype pics, aside from the gorgeous colorations they were given. Granted they might also be the last for me for quite some time, until I can once again resume collecting.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SRF

Since Wilson isn't a 2022 release I'll just share this here. PNSO released a new video on the making of Wilson. Interestingly enough, Zhao Chuang states in this video that the exaggerated scales are there on purpose to emphasize the differences between the scales on different parts on its body. I do like to view Wilson as a showcase of these features. :)

https://youtu.be/-XWphQMBw9Y

SidB

Whether or not we end up agreeing with the approach an artist takes in creating the work, I think that it's a positive to understand their reasoning. Certainly true with 'Winter Wilson' - there was a 'rhyme and reason' for the scale sizes, regardless of my specific agreement or not. It makes the end result purposeful , rather than merely arbitrary or careless. Thanks, avatar_SRF @SRF , for sharing this info.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: