News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO dinosaurs

Started by Fluffysaurus, March 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

Quote from: need4swede on May 25, 2022, 06:50:12 PM
Quote from: SRF on May 25, 2022, 06:19:19 PMI came across this customised Wilson figure as Hank from Prehistoric Planet and it's just too gorgeous not to share here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd_H3ivKgg2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Wow, that's a great looking Wilson!

Reminds me of the Rex from 'Prehistoric Planet'

That's what I mentioned didn't I?  ;) Thanks for sharing the picture here. In this customized figure, the neck is thickened even further. However this customization does also show that the proportions of the basic figure are already very well done. 
But today, I'm just being father

need4swede

Quote from: SRF on May 25, 2022, 06:19:19 PMThat's what I mentioned didn't I?  ;) Thanks for sharing the picture here. In this customized figure, the neck is thickened even further. However this customization does also show that the proportions of the basic figure are already very well done. 

You totally did - sorry I missed that part! Was too distracted by the photo.
I really like how the stock Wilson looks, but would love to see PNSO tackle a version with lips.
Excited for future Willy's!
- Swede

Bread

His instagram is dinosaur_models_photography or JBA82

Highly recommend him for any commissions. Very easy to communicate with and responds quickly.

I currently have the PNSO Yutyrannus about to be worked on through him. :o

Darko2300

Being new to collecting PNSO, one of my major concerns is all the reports of paintjob quality diminishing over time. Does anyone have a rough estimate of how far back a person can go in PNSO's catalog before those problems really start to become apparent? Should I say, not purchase anything more than a year old? Two years? I'm just wondering if anyone has actually kept track of this. Help? 😁

Concavenator

avatar_Darko2300 @Darko2300 well, I got the Yutyrannus in March and I didn't notice any downgrade (it was released in June 2021). I got the Borealopelta last October (released in October 2020) and it was fine as well. So, from my experience, if you're getting a figure from this or last year, you will probably be fine. A figure from 2 or more years ago might be more sloppily painted (I have seen some fairly drastic examples of this with their Ankylosaurus and 2020 Spinosaurus). Perhaps some people who buy more regularly than me may have a more accurate view, but I hope this helps.

Darko2300

Bread

I wouldn't base it off of 2 or so years ago.

Like mentioned, the Borealopelta has a simple yet phenomenal paint job, of course that is mainly because the discovery showing the color of its pigmentation. Again, like mentioned it is a figure that started production 2 years ago, same with the Spinosaurus, a few weeks (or months, not exactly sure but you'll understand my point) later it was released. We can assume both figures started production around the same time; however one has dipped in quality, that being the Spinosaurus. Most likely due to its more complex colorscheme. Meanwhile I don't see many complaints or reports about the Borealopelta dipping in quality.

Now, learning this through a small discussion throughout PNSO threads, these figures sometimes go through batches. Meaning there can or are multiple batches being distributed and sold at that time. Example being the Ankylosaurus, which currently has about 4 batches (still up in the air, but it is 4 or more). With the Ankylosaurus batches, the paint scheme drastically changed in quality. The second batch being the worst, which I had acquired for a time. Unbelievable amount of grey wash or paint added to the figure, plus diluted original colorscheme. Third batch, slight improvement, followed by fourth, which I may or may not have currently. Again the number of batches this figure has is a mystery, but it is 4 or more.

I assume the Spinosaurus may be dealing with this issue as well. To really see this, we have to wait for a lot more complaints about the Spinosaurus. Harder to see this as the Spinosaurus was a top priority for a lot of people when it was first dropped, so mainy acquired the first batch.

Anyways, I purchased the Lambeosaurus recently and I can say the colorscheme and quality if phenomenal. 10/10 Would recommend, but hopefully my analysis of this helped.

Darko2300

avatar_Bread @Bread That does help - thank you. I appreciate anyone sharing their experiences, as it will help me form a slightly more complete picture of the situation. No one wants so spend $40 - $70 and get a terribly painted model.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Darko2300 on June 03, 2022, 12:28:44 AMBeing new to collecting PNSO, one of my major concerns is all the reports of paintjob quality diminishing over time. Does anyone have a rough estimate of how far back a person can go in PNSO's catalog before those problems really start to become apparent? Should I say, not purchase anything more than a year old? Two years? I'm just wondering if anyone has actually kept track of this. Help? 😁

I would add that the popularity of a figure should affect how many production runs it has. Typically new production runs will have simplified paint if the original was complicated (like with Spinosaurus). This is what Bread means by different batches. They sell out, retailers order more, so they tell the factory to run the mold again to create x amount of new stock.

If you missed getting a figure the year it came out and want to be 100% sure it has the best paint job, your only choice will be to buy second hand from someone who can post actual photos. Most retailers will only display stock photos and these are often taken of paint masters, not actual production samples.

Safari adds the production date to the bottom of each figure so you know what production run it was part of. I can't remember if PNSO does this, or if it's listed somewhere in the packaging instead.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Nimravus

Hi guys,
I wanted to take advantage of some price bargains from Ali Express these last week, but the PNSO shop and most part of their products disappeared from the site! :o Is it only me? Or did it happen to the others as well? Does anyone know why?
Thanks in advance!

need4swede

Quote from: Nimravus on July 02, 2022, 10:38:51 PMHi guys,
I wanted to take advantage of some price bargains from Ali Express these last week, but the PNSO shop and most part of their products disappeared from the site! :o Is it only me? Or did it happen to the others as well? Does anyone know why?
Thanks in advance!

Their products appear for me - are you filtering just the sale items? In that case, the sale seems to be over. Filtering PNSO's store by sale items returns no results.
- Swede

Nimravus

Umm it looks like the problem is that they are not shipping to Germany now! I am much more confused! :o
avatar_need4swede @need4swede: thanks for letting me know

Fembrogon

It looks like PNSO will be having a "back to school" sale on their Aliexpress store, with numerous figures discounted 15-20%, starting August 22nd. Mark your calendars, folks!

Bread

Quote from: Bread on May 26, 2022, 12:03:34 AMHis instagram is dinosaur_models_photography or JBA82

Highly recommend him for any commissions. Very easy to communicate with and responds quickly.

I currently have the PNSO Yutyrannus about to be worked on through him. :o
To add onto my statement regarding a commission I had through them, I received my Yutyrannus back in July, and wow, I must say PNSO really need to add lips to figures like this... Makes it 100% better (imo).

Concavenator

I have been thinking about this for a while...

See, the PNSO Miragaia was clearly based on Ashley Patch's skeletal:

which was an early WIP of the "Miragaia Project" reconstruction. However, the Miragaia Project now seems to be finished, and this is their reconstruction:

To me, it looks like it has become dated. I would even say the Carnegie version looks more similar to this most recent version:

What do you guys think?

Bread

I completely agree avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator
Even before the finished project, I felt that PNSO's plates/spikes (whatever they're called) were too long.

It's still a beautiful figure.

Duna

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator I agree, and not only the plates, but also the lenght of the legs, the position of hips and dorsal line, it's like the Carnegie. Isn't it amazing that such a old design is still better than one that came 10 years later?

Eocarcharia

Looks like most of the PNSO Museum Line figures are currently 15% off on their Amazon store. The Tsintaosaurus however is 22% off. Seems like a good time to grab one if you're been holding off.

Thialfi

Perhaps this been discussed endlessly already, but there is so much PNSO content, I wouldn't even know where to look, so I guess I'll ask: is there any way to know what version of Sede the Ankylosaurus is in a box? Are there any specific codes or markers on the box? I would love to add her to my collection but I am not too keen on the white wash they applied to certain models..

Thanks a heap!

TooOldForDinosaurs

The whitewashed version is the original version from 2019. They redid the model in 2021 with improved paint application. Shop anywhere that says "2021 model" somewhere and you should be good. Something like this:

I'm pretty sure that from PNSOs AliExpress store you can only order the 2021 improved paint version as of right now. eBay is tricky depending on how much information the seller provides. I don't know about any codes or markers but maybe someone else can help further.  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: