News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Meet Apatoraptor!

Started by suspsy, April 15, 2016, 01:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kovu

I love all these new species that were dug up twenty years ago and are just being "rediscovered" on museum shelves. Idk, for some reason that just seems really cool to me.

Takama

Apatoraptor

Sounds like a Hybrid that Simba would make.   

Or a Kid

"HEY GUYS I MADE A APATOSAURUS VELOCIRAPTOR HYBRID!!!

I call it APATORAPTOR!!!!"

In all seruisuness,  this is a great discovery though i doubt we will see a figure of it any time soon. (Whens the last time we seen a Oviraptor toy thats not Gigantoraptor, Citapatii, or Caudiptryx?)

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

We need a somewhat official name for these kinds of things. I was thinking shelf lizards/beasts, but I cannot for the life of me find shelf in latin. Or maybe box lizard/beasts.
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

SBell

Quote from: PainterRex on April 15, 2016, 02:58:36 AM
We need a somewhat official name for these kinds of things. I was thinking shelf lizards/beasts, but I cannot for the life of me find shelf in latin. Or maybe box lizard/beasts.

The Latin for shelf is Pluteum or Pluteus. Pluteusaurs? Pluteutheres?

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Quote from: SBell on April 15, 2016, 03:18:35 AM

The Latin for shelf is Pluteum or Pluteus. Pluteusaurs? Pluteutheres?

Doesn't really roll of the tongue, does it?
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

FishFossil

transierunt means "passed over" in latin. Perhaps Transierusaurs?

Silvanusaurus

Nobodysaurus?

As in "Nobodysaurus sitting there on the shelf"...  :P

SBell

It just occurred to me that -saurus is Greek, so we shouldn't mix it with Latin. Apparently in Greek it's 'rafi', so rafisaurs?

or Peek-a-Boo-saurs.

Chad

They had a feathered dinosaur sitting on the shelf for 20 years?  (Talk about burying the lede!)

Newt

This may be even more prevalent in "neontology" (a silly word used only by paleontologists). Many institutions have huge collections amassed in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and barely examined since. See the insect family Mantophasmatidae, described in the early 2000s from museum specimens collected several decades earlier.

"Theca" is Greek for storage room or treasury; maybe "thecasaur"?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Chad on April 15, 2016, 03:22:29 PM
They had a feathered dinosaur sitting on the shelf for 20 years?  (Talk about burying the lede!)

No actual feathers, just quill knobs, which aren't so obvious especially since the specimen hadn't been fully prepared. A lot of details only showed up on CT scan.

And I'm not sure what they mean by "sitting on a shelf". For at least the past five years it has been sitting on a shelf... In the Royal Tyrel Museum... On display to the general public... (But labeled as Chirostenotes, just like Anzu was. They're all pretty identical except in tiny details).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.