News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Princeton Field Guides

Started by Takama, May 03, 2016, 06:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Very keen on both of these! Just hope they're available in store up here as opposed to online.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DC

I have the kindle version and I find it useful.  Like it any popular source you should cross check. He combines many animals that are typically considered different.  Paleontology goes through fads of splitting and combining. 
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Gwangi

Oh jeeze, a 2nd edition ALREADY. I suppose there have been enough new genera discovered to warrant it. Still, I think I'll splurge for the mammal guide and get the dinosaur guide when we're on our 4th or 5th edition.

PaleoMatt

Will be picking up the dino one :)

DinoLord

Quote from: Gwangi on May 03, 2016, 08:06:49 PMStill, I think I'll spurge for the mammal guide and get the dinosaur guide when we're on our 4th or 5th edition.

I figure the same. The rate of groundbreaking discoveries these days is amazing. Amongst other things I think Utahraptor is due for some new information from hinted unpublished specimens.

SBell

I know I'll be bringing that mammal one into work (Nov 2016, when it is released!).

Although I am skeptical that all of mammal evolution--even for just the Cenozoic--can be comprehensively covered in under 300 pages. It probably won't be a full guide to all taxa, like the Dinos book.

At least Prothero has a proper illustrator for this book though--I'm curious to see what Mary Persis Williams' work looks like (her website is awkward...)

tyrantqueen

I couldn't care less about the mammal one, but I'm totally going to preorder the second edition. I have the first edition and it's one of my favourites.

CityRaptor

Gonna get the second edition.  Reminds me that I have not read my first edition, yet. ( lack of time and readind other books instead ).

Not interested in the mammal one.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Tyrannosauron

I kind of hope that every dinosaur species gets lumped into a single genus in the second edition. Life's short, you know?

Gwangi

Quote from: SBell on May 03, 2016, 08:27:12 PM
I know I'll be bringing that mammal one into work (Nov 2016, when it is released!).

Although I am skeptical that all of mammal evolution--even for just the Cenozoic--can be comprehensively covered in under 300 pages. It probably won't be a full guide to all taxa, like the Dinos book.

At least Prothero has a proper illustrator for this book though--I'm curious to see what Mary Persis Williams' work looks like (her website is awkward...)

Looking at her blog right now and even though there is not a lot of it, her non-dinosaur stuff looks better than her dinosaur stuff. I gotta say, I'm not digging the cover illustration for the new book. I'll get it regardless, my prehistoric mammal collection is seriously lacking.

Appalachiosaurus

Holy Heck in a Handbasket, that came out of nowhere. I am certainly getting both of these.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I remember reading the first edition cover-to-cover the year after it first came out. Both of these will probably end up on my already crowded shelf eventually.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Doug Watson

I was excited when I read the first post but less so once I saw the cover of the Mammal Book. I have been wanting a book like that for years but that cover art makes it look like a childrens' book. I looked at her site and I sure hope the Harlan's Ground Sloth isn't an example of what to expect. 3/4 views are useless for scaling. Why wouldn't they go with an artist like Mauricio Anton, his skeletals and his restorations are excellent. Or Mark Hallett who Prothero used to a small extent for his After the Dinosaurs. I'll get the Paul 2nd edition and I'll probably get the Mammal book as well due to the dearth of similar books.

SBell

Quote from: Doug Watson on May 05, 2016, 04:05:37 PM
I was excited when I read the first post but less so once I saw the cover of the Mammal Book. I have been wanting a book like that for years but that cover art makes it look like a childrens' book. I looked at her site and I sure hope the Harlan's Ground Sloth isn't an example of what to expect. 3/4 views are useless for scaling. Why wouldn't they go with an artist like Mauricio Anton, his skeletals and his restorations are excellent. Or Mark Hallett who Prothero used to a small extent for his After the Dinosaurs. I'll get the Paul 2nd edition and I'll probably get the Mammal book as well due to the dearth of similar books.

I had the exact same feeling--I treasure my Anton books (especially the one he signed) as the pinnacle of paleo mammal illustration.

Unfortunately, I have found that that many of Prothero's books on mammals have been quite lacking in the illustrations, often just re-using existing images (I'm assuming with permissions, etc). At least unique new illustration is a good step, but hopefully it is more realistic than that cover appears.

FishFossil

I agree with the general consensus here, and I'll probably grab the mammal guide. There is a distinct lack of good literature on the subject. Looking through Mary's work I think she'll do an ok job. Mammals are definitely her strong suit. Just as long as she's not doing any sauropterygians, YEESH.

SpartanSquat

Anybody have it the second edition? What changes has?

postsaurischian

Hurra! Guanlong wucaii finally is a species of its own and not "Monolophosaurus (=Guanlong) wucaii" anymore ;D.
It is filed under Tyrannosauroids now - not Allosauroids anymore and it got a skeletal and fleshed out illustration.
That alone would have been reason enough for me to buy the 2nd edition of the Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs  ;D, but there is a lot of other new stuff as well.

I love Paul's illustrations! Concavenator and Deinocheirus are answering my expectations :).
He still uses his individual kind of taxonomy, but I've learned to read it and do not care.

The book is definitely worth the "re-buy"!

triceratops83

Gonna have to get this. Greg Paul's books are the quintessential staple for any dinosaur collection.

EDIT - Couldn't resist, just ordered a copy.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

suspsy

The mammals guide is on my Xmas want list, although I share Doug's reservations about the artwork.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: