News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

General discussion - public

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 11:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

So remember the Snowmass, CO mastodon and mammoth find? Rocky Mountain PBS is doing a live fundraiser and the have scientists from the Denver Museum of Nature & Science on. They're answering questions live and well, I went on the Twitter and fired off something silly (never expecting an answer): "I love the RMPBS and DMNS! I have to ask, which of the scientists found the most bones on the dig? #askRMPBS"

Ian Miller, of the DMNS, on live TV answered it with this: His brothers' team found and identified the most bones. Over half of the bones. big and small, found were dug up by his brothers' team in their material. 

Guys, they said my name on TV. ON TV. I will admit that I let out a very silly squeak when they answered it. This just reaffirms my suspicions that palentologists are the raddest scientists. The raddest.

sepp

I have less than 7 days to finish ragecleaning my house for a couple of out of country friends I am hosting for a month, and tonight I found mealy bugs ALL OVER my jade plant and one of the succulents...

Man these little guys are a pain. I spent nearly three hours wiping down, scrubbing, tweezing, tying, re-scrubbing, re-tweezing, rinsing, and cursing at my plants. I can't find any more bugs right now but I'm sure I've missed some - I'll do this again tomorrow. This is NOT how I wanted to utilize the precious time I have left before my friends get here, hahaha, but I care for my plants and I really don't want them to die a horrible infested death. :/

If I can't get the bugs off manually in the next week I'll look into a more severe treatment... ugh.

Himmapaan

I couldn't help sharing this.

There is no excuse.  Seriously. >:D

Libraraptor

Hi everybody! I just wanted to let you know I am well and will be able to spend more time on the forum again! The little crisis of the last months finally seems to be over. I could not help dropping in here now and then, but to be honest, I somehow lost the plot. I´m trying to contribute whenever I want to again and share my thoughts, although not as often as I used to. I also plan doing more review work on the DTB again.
Hope you´re all well!

Himmapaan

Good to see you stopping by, Stefan! And glad to hear things are settling for you.  :D

DinoToyForum

I shouldn't talk on behalf of others, but we are very well Stefan, thank you!
Glad to see you drop by :)

ajax

just bought a bunch of safari dinosaurs from America (cant buy them here in Australia) and the postage was almost as much as the dinosaurs $170. Can someone tell me if postage prices have risen in recent times there or am I being ripped off?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: ajax on July 25, 2012, 04:49:51 AM
just bought a bunch of safari dinosaurs from America (cant buy them here in Australia) and the postage was almost as much as the dinosaurs $170. Can someone tell me if postage prices have risen in recent times there or am I being ripped off?
Unsure which method you used to have them sent, but the regular United states postal service is raising prices, cutting services and losing money badly. Their costs are almost seemingly constantly rising.
If you used a private service like Fedex or UPS I cannot answer as I am not aware.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Most definitely yeah, you are being ripped off.

That price is the kind of thing you would expect for an item much, much larger than a few plastic toys.

CityRaptor

Wow, never paid that much on shipping.

Also is this just me, or does the Chickenosaurus look like a Cockatrice?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 25, 2012, 05:20:14 AM
Most definitely yeah, you are being ripped off.

That price is the kind of thing you would expect for an item much, much larger than a few plastic toys.

It will depend on weight and volume--if you bought $170 worth of dinos, it could get quite heavy (especially if it was a lot of big sauropods and large items--or 30-50 small figures!).  That would also cause it to be very large as far as parcels go.

There is also the issue of what way it was sent--I am going to assume that some sort of air-delivery was used so that it would arrive in a few weeks instead of a few months (ground=boat).  Add in tracking, delivery confirmation and insurance, and I could see it getting up there in cost.  And if they use UPS (which no US company should ever use for international delivery) or another courier then the fees would be even higher.

I've sent modest parcels to Australia before and it can still cost $40 for air delivery with no extras, and that was parcels under 1kg.

ajax

The biggest dinosaurs would have been the new Carnegie Braci and Spino plus 3 smaller carnegie. The rest were wild safari dinosaurs (8), 2 small collecta dino's and a few sea creatures sharks ect which are not big at all and a mid size box of Lego.

SBell

Quote from: ajax on July 26, 2012, 12:37:25 AM
The biggest dinosaurs would have been the new Carnegie Braci and Spino plus 3 smaller carnegie. The rest were wild safari dinosaurs (8), 2 small collecta dino's and a few sea creatures sharks ect which are not big at all and a mid size box of Lego.

Then yeah, over charged. Unless it was next-day overseas air service with delivery guarantee or something (but that would be crazy to get).

ajax

I just used standard international post. Im yet to get confirmation the order has been sent so maybe they will pick up on the mistake (if it is a mistake).

SBell

Quote from: ajax on July 26, 2012, 02:12:42 AM
I just used standard international post. Im yet to get confirmation the order has been sent so maybe they will pick up on the mistake (if it is a mistake).

I'd contact them right quick--and cancel the order if it's not an error.

Himmapaan

Quote from: CityRaptor on July 25, 2012, 02:35:52 PM
Also is this just me, or does the Chickenosaurus look like a Cockatrice?
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/318140_442056512473786_100000083221890_1749753_2052224637_n.jpg
I said as much myself when I first saw it. I even drew one once which looked strikingly similar (this was some twelve years ago).

CityRaptor

Reminds me of an old Cockatrice Pic, I have in a book ( is also the cover of said book ):

Also this one:

And there seems to be a similar one in the Pony Series, judging by Google Pics:

Must be a weak one...
Oh no

Gwangi

That Cockatrice is in a book I have as well.

There is also this fellow, a rooster of the future. Illustration by Alexis Rockman.

CityRaptor

Terror Chicken?
But featherless chicken already exist.
Oh no

ajax

The box of dinosaurs i received in the post today weighed 9.4lbs. It cost $170 for shipping and handling from the US to Australia. Should i contact them and question the price? Its a large toy company many of us use on this site.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: