News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

General discussion - public

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 11:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Talking about kids.... Currently at Dinosaurierpark Münchehagen. Saw a kid today wandering through. While his grandparents were kind enough to visit the park with him, he was doing something with his Nintendo DS all the time. Unless he was taking pics, which I know atleast some DS Models are able to do, he for sure was an ungrateful brat.

Also there is a machine that spits out little non-avian Dinosaur Eggs ( they look more like some kind of berries, if you ask me ), but makes sounds like a chicken. Currently testing it for a pattern. So far I got two purple eggs, both containing red Dinosaurs ( Allosaurus and Brachiosaurus ) and a green egg containing a purple Brachiosaurus. I've also seen a green Brachiosaurus. Wonder how many different Dinosaurs ( including color variants ) are there in total. Will post them in the monochrome thread sooner or later.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Himmapaan

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 04, 2012, 12:11:42 PM
Quote from: sepp on May 04, 2012, 09:50:14 AM
Volunteered at the museum on Wednesday, woke up the next morning with a terrible cold or the flu, not sure which. Dang patrons never wash their hands... worse still, I just recovered from my last cold not ten days ago c_c This sucks ,':/

Good for you for volunteering, but sorry about the cold.  :-\ In my last job, there always seemed to be a cold going around the museum. I suppose it's even worse in a museum with emphasis on interactive displays and handling. Beware the snotty children! Beware the snotty parents! Just beware the snotty everyone!
Sorry to hear that, Lisa. I've grown wary of interactive displays for those reasons. Ideally, they ought to be given a thorough wipe-down with some kind of cleanser after particularly busy periods, but that's a whole load of extra work for staff.  :-\ Alternatively, carry some hand gel with you and use at regular intervals.

CityRaptor

Little Update on my Egg Hunt: Get a pink Egg containing a green Brachiosaurus. I'm starting to wonder if there are no Dinosaurs other than Allo und Brachio...still did not get to make pics for the "Ugly, ugly Dinosaurs" thread, despite lots of Chinasaurs around...
Oh no

sepp

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 05, 2012, 08:04:08 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 04, 2012, 12:11:42 PM
Quote from: sepp on May 04, 2012, 09:50:14 AM
Volunteered at the museum on Wednesday, woke up the next morning with a terrible cold or the flu, not sure which. Dang patrons never wash their hands... worse still, I just recovered from my last cold not ten days ago c_c This sucks ,':/

Good for you for volunteering, but sorry about the cold.  :-\ In my last job, there always seemed to be a cold going around the museum. I suppose it's even worse in a museum with emphasis on interactive displays and handling. Beware the snotty children! Beware the snotty parents! Just beware the snotty everyone!
Sorry to hear that, Lisa. I've grown wary of interactive displays for those reasons. Ideally, they ought to be given a thorough wipe-down with some kind of cleanser after particularly busy periods, but that's a whole load of extra work for staff.  :-\ Alternatively, carry some hand gel with you and use at regular intervals.

I agree with wiping things down. And we actually do that - we have some sanitizing spray and fresh towels we take and wipe all over everything during busy days, or after each day when the museum closes. I volunteer in the life science lab, so I'm handling animals and cleaning their tanks/feeding them, etc. I don't have a whole lot of interactions with kids, honestly because I actively try to avoid it... but we have hand sanitizer dispensers AND sinks to wash hands, it's ridiculous that the people who come up here don't try to be more sanitary with those things at their disposal.

I usually do have hand sanitizer on me, except when I go to the museum since they have dispensers all over!

Himmapaan

Ack, tough luck then, in that case.  :( I hope you get better soon at any rate.

Pilkington

I know a lot of people here have pets so I just wanted to get the word out that Diamond Pet Food is currently doing a voluntary recall of several brands of pet food manufactured from their South Carolina plant due to a potential Salmonella contamination. 

So far the recalled brands are:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
Country Value
Diamond
Diamond Naturals
Premium Edge
Professional
4Health
Taste of the Wild
Apex
Kirkland Signature/Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain
Canidae

According to Diamond no animals have become ill, although I've heard reports that isn't true, but there have been a confirmed 14 people sickened by the contaminated food.  I actually do feed both my cats and dog some of the listed brands but thankfully none of the bags I have are from the South Carolina plant.

For more information about this and for the production codes of the recalled food please visit http://diamondpetrecall.com/.
If you wanna be alone, come with me

stoneage

Quote from: Pilkington on May 08, 2012, 01:22:41 AM
I know a lot of people here have pets so I just wanted to get the word out that Diamond Pet Food is currently doing a voluntary recall of several brands of pet food manufactured from their South Carolina plant due to a potential Salmonella contamination. 

So far the recalled brands are:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
Country Value
Diamond
Diamond Naturals
Premium Edge
Professional
4Health
Taste of the Wild
Apex
Kirkland Signature/Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain
Canidae

According to Diamond no animals have become ill, although I've heard reports that isn't true, but there have been a confirmed 14 people sickened by the contaminated food.  I actually do feed both my cats and dog some of the listed brands but thankfully none of the bags I have are from the South Carolina plant.

For more information about this and for the production codes of the recalled food please visit http://diamondpetrecall.com/.

Why are people eating pet food to start with?

CityRaptor

Probably because they are curious about the taste?
Oh no

Pilkington

The people got sick after they were handling the infected pet food, then not washing their hands before eating or handling their own food.  Three people were infected in both Missouri and North Carolina; two people in Ohio; and one person each in Alabama, Connecticut, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
If you wanna be alone, come with me

Horridus

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 04, 2012, 08:59:52 PM
Talking about kids.... Currently at Dinosaurierpark Münchehagen. Saw a kid today wandering through. While his grandparents were kind enough to visit the park with him, he was doing something with his Nintendo DS all the time. Unless he was taking pics, which I know atleast some DS Models are able to do, he for sure was an ungrateful brat.
All the most recent iterations of the DS take photos. The 3DS takes 3D photos. This is what he was doing, I imagine. Hopefully.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Weaver

Just a happy little crow on my part, got my Animal Antatomy for the Artist: The Elements of Form book in yesterday. This book is perfect. So happy with it. And looking at how things flex and extend has me thinking more. I am so excited to learn more from this. <3

Also, someone take back all this rain. It's making things too soggy out here. XD

Himmapaan

Oh, congrats on the book, Liz! I'd been eyeing that one myself for a while. :)

In case anyone else is interested, here is the book in question.

Oh, and Liz, you may be interested in this one, too. I have it and can recommend it strongly.  :D

And I think I may have tried ten times to post this message now. Looks like the server is choosing to vex me again. It only singles me out, you know...  >:D

Weaver

Aww man, the Ellenberger book is awesome! I used to check out a copy from the library for weeks at a time. Such a good book. I should probably get a copy for myself someday. XD Ah, the Goldfinger book is great because it talks about all sorts of animals and groups them together based on similar anatomy and species. I've never actually owned an anatomy book like this before and it's.. beautiful. I always thought Ellenberger's 'An Atlas of Animal Anatomy for the Artist' was the be-all-and-end-all of books but this 'Animal Anatomy for the Artist' is tied with it as my favorite reference now. <3 I have a wildlife-artist-taxidermist friend who highly recommended it and that's what pushed me forward. ;) Definitely a great resource.

Metallisuchus

Just out of curiosity - I see a lot of talk about v.1, but why did you guys have to leave that version in the first place?

SBell

Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 13, 2012, 07:58:53 PM
Just out of curiosity - I see a lot of talk about v.1, but why did you guys have to leave that version in the first place?

There's a thread around here somewhere about that. I'm not going to go look for it of course. I'll let you do that.

CityRaptor

Oh snap, Vulltar just grew a second pair of arms!
Oh no

Takama

CityRaptor

Which Mode? Esay, Normal or Hard?
A Fun game, if you ask me.
Oh no

Takama

Normal. There wasn't an easy mode on my PSN download version

Funny thing is that the Scientific Inacuracies make the game unfair at times >:( (Pteranodons pick you up by foot and make you bleed to death, Inostrancevia has an impenetrable armour, and Plesiosaurs stick there necks straight out of the water to get you), but i still enjoyed it, and currently replaying it now because I love it  ;D

CityRaptor

No Easy Mode? What about Extra Crisis? You haven't really played this Game unless you killed a Tyrannosaurus using a Compy. ;D ( Which needs to be unlocked in Hard Mode )

Think of the following, the inaccuracies also allow your characters to actually survive experiences that would normally kill or atleast seriously harm them.

Also, the creators of Predators still have not learned that a Placerias does not look like a Ceratopsian.
This is Curadan, a Placerias-Beetle-Hybrid:

This is Oggenon, a Triceratops-Beetle-Hybrid, and also Curadan's Boss.

And this his Bouldar, Oggenon's counterpart, who is a Tyrannosaurus-Triceratops-Hybrid

Curadan looks way too much like those guys. Indeed there is a mistake in Oggenon's profile, calling him Curadan. To make matters worse, there are also two Warriors with Styracosaurus DNA.

The toyline is also a bit racist.
In "DNA Fusion" the Leaders were those with the "purest" DNA, therefore those whose DNA is made up completely from those of animals of their "time" ( for example the Jurassic Leader is a Mamenchisaurus-Ornitholestes Hybrid, while his Second-in-Command is a Supersaurus-Cryolophosaurus-Hybrid and the Elder is a Stegosaurus-Megalosaurus-Kentrosaurus. The underlings have Triassic and Cretaceous DNA, but their dominant DNA is from Jurassic Animals.  It should however be noted that they are not treated differently based on their race. So the guy with 70% Jurassic DNA is not treated better than the one with 60%. The ones with the "pure" DNA are just the Leaders )

"Insect Invasions" treats it differently: The guys who have T-Rex DNA are the Leaders of their tribes for the Predasaurs ( the other DNA in their mix actually fits the Tribe, with the Creataceous Leader obviously having "pure" DNA. It is Bouldar, btw. ) . Members with "pure" DNA are no longer special. ( Expect for maybe the single Flyer and the single aquatic guy. And perhaps the guy who should be truely gigantic ). Bulyar of the Jurassic Tribe does not even contain Jurassic DNA...
Not sure if there is a Pattern in the Insectosaurs, other than the fact that the non-Insect DNA of their Leaders parallels that of the Predasaurs, as seen with Oggenon and Bouldar.
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: