News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

General discussion - public

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 11:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 25, 2017, 07:52:31 PM
Are recreational substances legal in Germany?  ;D

They are NOT :)) Yes, it´s mind boggling indeed. And prehistory and the awareness of being a part of Earth´s history can make you feel high in a much better, more satisfying way.

CityRaptor

Regarding your original question, I think that really shows that humans are not the special creatures their arrogance let's them believe they are.

You know what's annoying? Goggling prehistoric creatures and their are tons of results for the inaccurate depictions from ARK, but you have to click through several pages before finding the real deal.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

To be fair, ARK has been getting much much better lately. Compare the Tyrannosaurus from launch to the recent Basilosaurus or Thylacoleo.

ARK designs aren't strictly speaking inaccurate, they're stylized. Complaining the ARK dinosaurs aren't realistic is almost as silly as complaining about Monster Hunter theropods having pronated wrists.

CityRaptor

Well, yeah but the latter two are mammals. And it is annoying to have to click through pages of pages of ARK.

There is also a difference: ARK claims to feature species of the real deal, while MH has monsters inspired by real animals, but they are not meant to be those.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 25, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Well, yeah but the latter two are mammals. And it is annoying to have to click through pages of pages of ARK.

There is also a difference: ARK claims to feature species of the real deal, while MH has monsters inspired by real animals, but they are not meant to be those.
ARK comes up with new specific names for all of their designs, some of them are even rather clever (relating to game mechanics or to events in paleontology).

The ARK designs clearly aren't born from ignorance. Ignoring the launch date creatures (which even some of the develops admit are not well designed) all of the animals follow a coherent style, and if you look closely all of them contain hidden snippets of accuracy, almost like easter eggs for us nerdier elements of the playerbase. Small obscure details that wouldn't be there unless the develops actually started from the real animal and then made their own stylistic changes, things that wouldn't be there if they'd just looked at the first google result and thrown some spikes on it (*cough*Schleich*cough*).

PaleoMatt

ARK? I play that game, so feel free to ask me some questions on the dinosaurs!

CrypticPrism

Hey, I was wondering. When does this forum get remade, like v.1? Like after a certain number of years? Or number of posts?
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 15, 2017, 12:34:21 AM
Hey, I was wondering. When does this forum get remade, like v.1? Like after a certain number of years? Or number of posts?

When the stars are right.

DinoToyForum

V.1 was here: http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com
We moved to our own domain in 2012.
I have no plans for a V3.

Soopairik

Hey, how is everyone's day going?

hao_bao

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 25, 2017, 10:59:00 PM

Ark's dinos aren't meant to represent real species. There's a whole genetics/sci-fi thing going. E.g. The 'trike' is a cross between Triceratops and Styracosaurus. You can read this stuff in their dossiers.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Soup on April 20, 2017, 06:27:43 AM
Hey, how is everyone's day going?

Good! Just got back from a two week trip going to zoos and aquariums and meeting DTF members.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Balaur

Hey guys! It's been a very longg time not sure if you guys remember me... but I just want to say hi again.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Balaur on April 25, 2017, 10:43:14 PM
Hey guys! It's been a very longg time not sure if you guys remember me... but I just want to say hi again.

Welcome back!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Tylosaurus

been dealing a lot with arthritis pain attacks, struggling but ergh, sorry for not being around much I hope everyone is doing better <3
Docs gave me Atroxia 120mg tablets to take care of joint infections that my Chronic Sarcoidois is causing, 24/7 I have these heavy pain attacks...
I wish CRISPR was already  usable, that may be a ure for people like  me.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Balaur on April 25, 2017, 10:43:14 PM

Hi and Welcome back!

Quote from: Tylosaurus Rev.A2 on April 25, 2017, 11:15:23 PM
been dealing a lot with arthritis pain attacks, struggling but ergh, sorry for not being around much I hope everyone is doing better <3
Docs gave me Atroxia 120mg tablets to take care of joint infections that my Chronic Sarcoidois is causing, 24/7 I have these heavy pain attacks...
I wish CRISPR was already  usable, that may be a ure for people like  me.

I'm sorry to hear that  :'(, I hope you feel better.

stoneage

BlueKrono

Neosodon

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: