News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kong ; Skull Island

Started by Derek.McManus, July 06, 2016, 01:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Deleted 

Simon

The ONLY way I would EVER see a new "King Kong vs Godzilla" film would be if they took the EXACT same designs as were used for the creatures in the 1962 movie, but animated them so that the action looked real instead of being just miniature models with two guys in suits tripping around the scenery.  *(Yes, you read that right - keeping the same designs would be THE POINT.  That way everyone who loved the first one when we were kids would have some real eye candy to enjoy this time around.) And keep the comedic angle that is present in the Toho version (as opposed to the abomination that is the US version).

Since that is not going to happen, there is zero chance of me seeing that upcoming flick.  I have not made up my mind about the current Kong film, but I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be seeing Kaiju flicks, no matter how well done. No grandkids around yet to make me want to see it just for the thrill of seeing the excited look on their faces.

suspsy

Quote from: Takama on March 14, 2017, 11:21:28 PM
there, i save you the expense of seeing this sub par movie

That's seriously uncool, Takama. Just because you personally didn't enjoy the film is no reason for you to just go ahead and spoil the ending that way. Some people who check out this thread might not have seen it just yet. I suggest in future that you be more considerate.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Quote from: suspsy on March 15, 2017, 01:15:34 AM

That's seriously uncool, Takama. Just because you personally didn't enjoy the film is no reason for you to just go ahead and spoil the ending that way. Some people who check out this thread might not have seen it just yet. I suggest in future that you be more considerate.

My apologies...     i forgot to put a big spoiler  warning like i did for my review

suspsy

You should probably blank out that spoiler or something. This thread doesn't have any warning about spoilers in the title and the film hasn't even been out for a week.

Simon

Quote from: suspsy on March 15, 2017, 01:26:57 AM
You should probably blank out that spoiler or something. This thread doesn't have any warning about spoilers in the title and the film hasn't even been out for a week.

How about if we just say that "Kong: Skull Island" has the EXACT same ending as the Toho Japanese version of 1962's "King Kong vs Godzilla"?

(Yes I have the 1998 re-release on DVD with English subtitles and - yes it does end the exact same way as the ending of the new "Kong" movie was described upthread ....  ;D ;D ;D

That ought to leave a few heads scratching ...

Simon

Quote from: Takama on March 15, 2017, 01:24:08 AM
Quote from: suspsy on March 15, 2017, 01:15:34 AM

My apologies...     i forgot to put a big spoiler  warning like i did for my review

I wouldn't worry about it, Takama.  I have not gone out of my way to read anything about the ending of the new Kong film, and even I knew from everything out there that there was some lead-in to the upcoming KK v G (2) at the end of this one.  Its been practically broadcast all over the web.  If anything, your description showed that it was actually a lot LESS than what all of the rumors are about regarding the "hinting" at the KK v G (2) sequel.

suspsy

Just got back from seeing it. In a nutshell: I enjoyed the hell out of it. :D

Frankly, I don't understand why some people in this thread are complaining. It was vastly superior to Jurassic World in terms of characters, pacing, dialogue, visuals, and action. I'd much rather hang out and share a bottle of whiskey with Conrad, Weaver, and Marlow than those idiots Owen and Claire. I was on the edge of my seat during the climactic battle, which was truly visceral and very well choreographed. And I loved all the creature designs. The fact that there weren't any dinosaurs made it much more enjoyable for me given how bad I am at turning off my nitpicking switch. Also, the film included a Vera Lynn song, and Vera Lynn is a legitimate goddess in my book. The after-credits scene got me excited as well.

If you're looking for an award-worthy script and incredible acting, then go watch The Revenant on Netflix. I sat down in the theatre tonight looking to be entertained for a couple of hours, and Kong: Skull Island delivered that in spades. I'll be adding it to my movie collection once it becomes available.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on March 14, 2017, 11:17:20 PM
The more I hear about this film, the less interested I am in seeing it. It honestly looks and sounds like an Asylum film on a massive budget, and I'm sure it's fun and entertaining as a frivolous monster movie, and I enjoy such pictures as much as anyone as throwaway entertainment, but nothing about it seems at all extraordinary, outstanding, or interesting, so I'm struggling to justify spending the money on it. Apart from anything else, it doesn't have Godzilla in it, which immediately lessens the appeal of any film. Any film.

I'll be honest, it does feel like that. Lots of monster attacks and not so much character development. But unlike an Asylum film this has:
-really good cinematography
-kickass soundtrack (not talking about the score, the songs they use in it are legit great)
-a running time you won't spend wondering why you're watching this movie.

But if you're ambivalent about seeing it, wait until the home release.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Rain

Not much of a story, not much character development but damn is it enjoyable. I thought the V rexs had it rough, boy was I wrong.

suspsy

http://io9.gizmodo.com/skull-island-director-originally-wanted-to-be-a-total-d-1793418487?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

"So it's World War II. A full squad comes to this beach. They're killing each other – and then suddenly, this giant monkey [that looks a lot like the monkey from the last King Kong movie] comes out of the jungle. And they just kill it. It's dead. And you're sitting there going, 'Wait, did they just kill King Kong? Did they kill the hero of this film?' And then you'd hear a roar and see a much bigger creature – the real King Kong. That was the crazy version of me wanting to send a message that this isn't like other King Kong movies that you've seen. The studio were like: 'You can't do that.'"

That actually sounds like it would have been a neat action sequence, especially if the kaiju Kong had wiped out all the soldiers, but it would definitely have been a low blow to Peter Jackson's film---which I rather like. Besides, in the wake of the Hobbit trilogy, any jab at Jackson is just kicking someone when they're down.

stargatedalek

I for one actually liked the Hobbit films, not so much the 05 King Kong.

There was already a better (and well deserved) jab at that film('s outrageous fight choreography) later on anyway, so even if it was seen that way I can't imagine that being the reason the idea was shot down.

BlueKrono

Quote from: suspsy on March 19, 2017, 04:27:46 PM
http://io9.gizmodo.com/skull-island-director-originally-wanted-to-be-a-total-d-1793418487?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

"So it's World War II. A full squad comes to this beach. They're killing each other – and then suddenly, this giant monkey [that looks a lot like the monkey from the last King Kong movie] comes out of the jungle. And they just kill it. It's dead. And you're sitting there going, 'Wait, did they just kill King Kong? Did they kill the hero of this film?' And then you'd hear a roar and see a much bigger creature – the real King Kong. That was the crazy version of me wanting to send a message that this isn't like other King Kong movies that you've seen. The studio were like: 'You can't do that.'"

That actually sounds like it would have been a neat action sequence, especially if the kaiju Kong had wiped out all the soldiers, but it would definitely have been a low blow to Peter Jackson's film---which I rather like. Besides, in the wake of the Hobbit trilogy, any jab at Jackson is just kicking someone when they're down.

Like when Godzilla smoked the American "Zilla" in that one movie.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

suspsy

See, I really enjoyed seeing Godzilla effortlessly kill Zilla, but that's because the 1998 "Godzilla" is an irredeemably bad film.

I also enjoyed The Hobbit up until the third film where it all fell apart into a huge mess. At least Jackson is honest enough to admit that they were flying by the seat of their pants.

Silvanusaurus

I havent watched the 2005 Kong for many years, but I loved it when I was younger, if I watched it now I probably wouldnt look so favourably on it. However, if this new one took jabs at Jackson's Hobbit films instead, I'd be all over it. In fact, any single film would be vastly improved simply by the addition of some form of mockery of the Hobbit films; they are the ultimate cinematic joke.

The Atroxious

I personally liked the Hobbit movies. They weren't perfect, and there were some parts I thought would have been better left on the cutting room floor, or at least drastically retooled (the comedy scenes in particular seemed like they belonged in a silly movie aimed at college kids instead of an epic fantasy) but there was enough fun and more than enough eye candy that I enjoyed the movies regardless.

BlueKrono

I loved the plethora of trolls. The abject silliness was almost nauseating at times though.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

alexeratops

Could we start a spoiler-included thread? I really feel the need to get my thoughts out on the movie while talking about specific events.
But who am I kidding, I just want to talk about the after-credits scene.
like a bantha!

BlueKrono

I think you should do what has previously been done in this thread: write spoiler alert at the top, and anyone can proceed at their own discretion after that.

suspsy

I think it's safe to talk openly about the film now that it's been out for a week. But I'll put a little spoiler space up anyway.

Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q

I loved the battle between Kong and the alpha skullcrawler. LOVED IT. It struck me as one of the most intense, best choreographed monster battles I've ever seen. It took place in the open daylight, the participants didn't move as though they were sped up, and I found myself wincing whenever Kong took a hit, which is always an indication that a fight is truly good. I was on the edge of my seat rooting for him to free himself from the anchor chain. Brilliant of him to turn it into an effective weapon against the skullcrawler. Along with his use of rocks and trees, this shows that Kong fully understands the tactical advantage of turning objects around him into tools and weapons. Godzilla grasps this concept as well, such as when he deliberately slammed the male MUTO into a building to kill it, but Kong is better and quicker at it. Imagine what he will be able to do in an urban setting with cars and lampposts and steel girders and cables.

The nod to older films when Kong tries and fails to break the skullcrawler's jaw was a clever move. Allowing it to swallow his fist so that he could tear out its innards was even cleverer, although it did stretch my skepticism to accept that Weaver survived the ordeal.

Have to say though, unless Kong and Godzilla do end up joining forces to combat an even greater foe, I have difficulty envisioning how their film is going to effectively follow up a clash between Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: