News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Biggest sauropod available?

Started by T.rex, August 03, 2016, 01:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.rex

I've been working on a diorama after unearthing some of my old Jurassic Park dinosaurs. There is one thing I've had no luck in finding and that is a good sized sauropod. The version from the JP3 line is too small. The diorama scale is roughly 1:18. Do any companies offer a sauropod around that size? It would have to be big, for comparisons sake the T.rex (JP's Red Rex) I'm using is about 25 inches long and 12 inches tall. It wouldn't have to be a toy per se, I would be open to vinyl models and other options.

Takama

Unfortunately.   No dinosaur toy company makes toys in that scale.

However There are Resin Kits that are sculpted like this Dicreasaurus

http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/dicraeosaurus-resin-kit-by-foulkes/

Flaffy

The PNSO huanghetitan is pretty big, but definetly not big enough to be in scale with the red rex.

DinoLord

The PNSO Huanghetitan is something like 1:30 scale I believe (depending on which measurements you go off of). The JP red T. rex is probably over 1:20 scale. The largest commercially available sauropod toys tend to max out at 1:40 to 1:35 scale. For 1:20 scale you'd need resin kits like Takama mentioned or other large maquettes, like the Sideshow Apatosaurus. For your purposes a good option may be the Horizon Jurassic Park Brachiosaurus vinyl kit, though this would likely require buildup on your part.

Simon

Quote from: DinoLord on August 03, 2016, 02:15:30 AM
The PNSO Huanghetitan is something like 1:30 scale I believe (depending on which measurements you go off of). The JP red T. rex is probably over 1:20 scale. The largest commercially available sauropod toys tend to max out at 1:40 to 1:35 scale. For 1:20 scale you'd need resin kits like Takama mentioned or other large maquettes, like the Sideshow Apatosaurus. For your purposes a good option may be the Horizon Jurassic Park Brachiosaurus vinyl kit, though this would likely require buildup on your part.

Depends on your definition of "available"?  ;)

The Horizon Brach is about 1/20, the Kaiyodo Dinoland Brach is like a Sauroposeidon at 1/20 (gigantic, dwarfs the Horizon Brach).  Ademar's Argentinosaurus, which I got via Ikessauro's assistance 3 years ago is a huge 1/30.

The PNSO Huanghetitan is 1/40 if you view it as Argentinosaurus-sized (which is how I view it next to my Battats); at 1/30 its still a good-size sauropod ...

Carnosaur

The biggest toy sauropods i know of are the dinoriders Apatosaurus and the Playskool Definitely Dinosaurs Ultrasaurus.
But both are kinda rare today. I'm lucky enough to have both.

Simon

You can easily find the Horizon Brach on ebay (recast vinyl from Thailand is pretty cheap) ... just search for it ...

Halichoeres

Quote from: Carnosaur on August 03, 2016, 02:40:35 AM
The biggest toy sauropods i know of are the dinoriders Apatosaurus and the Playskool Definitely Dinosaurs Ultrasaurus.
But both are kinda rare today. I'm lucky enough to have both.

The Ultrasaurus was my first thought, too, since it's about 1:17. Might be a little cartoony for this purpose, but then again, a kit build would probably err too far in the other direction relative to the JP rex.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

T.rex

Thanks for the suggestions. I just Googled the Kaiyodo Dinoland Brach and it is HUGE.  :D  I'm glad I found this forum. I have no idea anyone made sauropods that massive.

fason

this might be a bit random but im not the only one that searched that up and found half naked girls right ? x D

Uroplatus

Quote from: fason on August 04, 2016, 05:03:43 AM
this might be a bit random but im not the only one that searched that up and found half naked girls right ? x D

Haha, congratulations, you just discovered Don Glut's website... :D

CityRaptor

Don does have a lot of interesting stuff on that site, but the girls make it NSFW.

Quote from: Simon on August 03, 2016, 02:40:54 AM
You can easily find the Horizon Brach on ebay (recast vinyl from Thailand is pretty cheap) ... just search for it ...

Besides moral issues, wasn't there also a problem with the quality of those?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 04, 2016, 08:56:43 AM
Don does have a lot of interesting stuff on that site, but the girls make it NSFW.

Quote from: Simon on August 03, 2016, 02:40:54 AM

Besides moral issues, wasn't there also a problem with the quality of those?

Yes, being a copy of a copy, detail on the recast will be poorer. I've also heard the vinyl is prone to warping.

fason

using half naked women to advertise dinosaurs ......why didnt i think of that !

PaleoMatt

Quote from: fason on August 04, 2016, 06:04:26 PM
using half naked women to advertise dinosaurs ......why didnt i think of that !
What?

CityRaptor

Fason refers to Don Glut's website.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 04, 2016, 04:31:07 PM
Yes, being a copy of a copy, detail on the recast will be poorer. I've also heard the vinyl is prone to warping.

Even more of a reason to not buy them. The bootleg Godzilla I once owned was a nightmare to assemble and I only had to plug his tail in...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BlueKrono

Many inflatable dinosaurs are made in the 3-5' range, if you're into that sort of thing. Jet Creations is the largest one I know of - they make a 12 foot tall Brachiosaurus. That would be about 1/6 scale. Hard to beat that!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

pylraster

I'd say the Tamiya brachiosaur kit is pretty big... it could work out well in your JP collection. If you're willing to paint that is. It's also relatively inexpensive and easy to find. But it fits better with Papo. The squatting Papo Rex just reaches the Tamiya brach's shoulder.

suspsy

Quote from: Uroplatus on August 04, 2016, 07:55:36 AM
Quote from: fason on August 04, 2016, 05:03:43 AM

Haha, congratulations, you just discovered Don Glut's website... :D

I'll never, ever understand why Glut thought that was a good idea.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

BlueKrono

As a collector we know there's something to be said for a "unique presentation".
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: