News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Could the mystery ceratopsid be sinoceratops? With the single horn and distinctive curved frill spikes/knobs/whatever the heck you call them.

zatrex99

Quote from: Neosodon on December 09, 2017, 06:11:07 AMI do somewhat agree that the idea of trying to save all the dinosaurs on a volcanic island as a moral thing is a bit silly. Do we send out huge rescue operations to save every critter every time some island in the pacific goes volcanic. So why would hundreds of people go out and risk their lives in an mostly futile attempt to save a bunch of dinosaurs a large portion carnivorous or dangerous. I like dinosaurs and a movie about saving them sounds nice. I used to come up with similar stories when I was 7. But for the movie to be logical and realistic the plot doesn't work so well. If they were rescuing the dinosaurs for their scientific value and that as a rare and endangered species it would make more sense. But since a large portion of the audience will probably be kids and the franchise isn't really geared towards being realistic I don't really have a problem with it.

What's really silly about it is they can make new dinosaurs whenever they want. Unless Wu disappeared.

laticauda

After watching the trailer and reflecting, I just became more interested with seeing how Fallen Kingdom plays out.  I stated earlier that it might be time form Jurassic Park franchise to become extinct so we can see better storytelling ideas.  Well, after watching the trailer, I think that's the point.

I watched the film Thor Ragnarok and really enjoyed it.  Not a Academy Award movie but an entertaining one.  For the movie they changed a lot of iconic things about Thor (spoiler Alert).  Hammer gone, long hair gone, home world gone, and one eye gone, all to move the character and movie franchise forward.  Maybe that's the idea behind this.  Sweep it away.  All that's in the way of progress is an island full of dinosaurs and broken dreams.  Time to clear the way with one big pyroclastic flow.  I still feel bad for the CGI dinosaurs falling to a watery grave or disappearing into a heated cloud but in short, volcano, boom, theme Park island gone!  Visual references from the past movies gone.  Free to go where ever you want storytelling wise.  Of course there still is the aud in San Diego, but maybe that's now a parking lot.  As for site B, they seem to just ignore it, so maybe prions killed off the population.   

Dr. Wu states "You are acting like we are engaged in some kind of mad science. But we are doing what we have done from the beginning. Nothing in Jurassic World is natural. We have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And, if their genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality. You asked for more teeth."  This idea opens up a lot of possibilities for the franchise.  That doesn't mean it will be done right, the story could be a festering bowl of dino poop, but then again, it might get interesting.   

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Brontozaurus on December 09, 2017, 01:32:39 PM
What I want to know is if this trailer is just from the first 57 minutes, and the film is probably 2 hours or more, what's going on in the second half? Like if the island blows up halfway through then that's the whole saving dinosaurs thing done with.

I'm not confident it'll end up being a good second half.  :P

You could hold off until you see it to judge.

Of course we have some info. 

A man named Lockwood, Hammond's old partner is involved in both getting the dinosaurs off the island and in creating the  military mutant dinosaurs somehow, he has probably been paying Wu off to create what he wants.  This includes the new Indoraptor,  a smaller version of I-Rex with all it's  abilities as was mentioned in JW.   It was said last year there will some dinosaur attack on a major European city.  Following the Lost World plot a bit.   The name, Jurassic World has multiple meanings,  not just the park in the first one.   Pay close attention to Malcolm's lines in the trailer. 

BlueKrono

I think I've got it: the toy on the far right of the Compy screenshot is the Schleich World of Dinosaur Giganotosaurus.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Faelrin

I think the mystery ceratopsian is a Sinoceratops too the more I look at it. It just doesn't seem like a good fit for Styracosaurus. That is one of the more iconic dinosaurs with enough evidence for its skull, etc. I really can't see them messing that one up too much, retro style or not. I'm also thinking that Allosaurus thing is anything but an Allosaurus at this point, since it just barely resembles it in the skull. I just wouldn't know what else it could be at this point. Megalosaurus maybe? A quick look on google images shows a bunch of similar long snouted crested skulled creatures that vaguely resemble it. Not sure how accurate those are in any case. I don't know much about Megalosaurus as it is.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Reptilia

Quote from: laticauda on December 09, 2017, 06:29:57 PM
Dr. Wu states "You are acting like we are engaged in some kind of mad science. But we are doing what we have done from the beginning. Nothing in Jurassic World is natural. We have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And, if their genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality. You asked for more teeth."

This quote pretty sums up everything. All JP creatures are genetically altered, that's why they're not actual dinosaurs. I know it doesn't make sense for real science, but it's sci-fi what we're talking about. People should start to take this literally and uncritically, like we do with everything in other sci-fi franchises, and enjoy the damn thing for what it is. There are still plenty of aspects to pick on in a movie, like a lame plot or bad acting, and stuff like that.

Jose S.M.

I agree to some point that asking for feathers or non pronated hands is kind of pointless. My major complains of what I'm seeing in the trailer are the plot, but I can't judge that until I see the movie, sometimes plots that are too simplistic or even deemed "dumb" are well executed and result in an enjoyable film.
My second complain is some of the cgi and animal desing, I'm not talking about accuracy but coloring and movement. It's not too hard to make an effort to make the dinosaurs move in a realitic way, there's something that looks odd in how the dinosaurs run, I wouldn't be surprised if I hear comments of mainstream audiences about this, about how some dinosaurs looked like jello and ran like horses.

Faelrin

The weight of the dinosaurs in the JW movies do leave something to be desired. Even though the overall models and textures might be miles ahead of what was in JP, the way they moved was far more believable. At least the lighting seems better in FK so far, since that plays a part too. Granted it is just the first real trailer, so they have time to improve stuff before the movie is ready to drop. I'm hoping the Parasaurolophus will be somewhere in the film too. It has been one of the dinosaurs that has been in every film since the first.

Also everything in the trailer has been confirmed to be just from the first act. So that leaves me guessing the island is for the first act, and the second act is the mainland (or the manor)? I did see another fanmade trailer, which fixes my issues with this trailer (focusing far too much on the volcano scene, the romance subplot, and spoiling the deus rex machina so soon).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Some new Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom merchandise has given us up close looks at the new dinosaurs from the film! The new products are incredibly movie accurate; featuring authentic detail, and movement to bring the films dinosaurs to life!

The sculpts really put Hasbro to shame!

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on December 09, 2017, 08:34:34 PMI'm also thinking that Allosaurus thing is anything but an Allosaurus at this point, since it just barely resembles it in the skull. I just wouldn't know what else it could be at this point. Megalosaurus maybe? A quick look on google images shows a bunch of similar long snouted crested skulled creatures that vaguely resemble it. Not sure how accurate those are in any case. I don't know much about Megalosaurus as it is.

Seems like a pretty good match to me:

BlueKrono

Did anyone see the running T-rexes in the Good Dinosaur? OMG. XD
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

John

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 09, 2017, 02:16:10 PM
Could the mystery ceratopsid be sinoceratops? With the single horn and distinctive curved frill spikes/knobs/whatever the heck you call them.
Where are people seeing any mystery ceratopsian?The only ceratopsians that I see in the trailer are all Triceratops.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: John on December 10, 2017, 06:29:53 AM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 09, 2017, 02:16:10 PM
Where are people seeing any mystery ceratopsian?The only ceratopsians that I see in the trailer are all Triceratops.

John

Thanks for the screenshots.I completely missed those Sinoceratops in the volcano scenes in the trailer.Though the holes in the frill should really have been covered over with flesh and skin in the living animals though...  :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on December 10, 2017, 04:16:46 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on December 09, 2017, 08:34:34 PMI'm also thinking that Allosaurus thing is anything but an Allosaurus at this point, since it just barely resembles it in the skull. I just wouldn't know what else it could be at this point. Megalosaurus maybe? A quick look on google images shows a bunch of similar long snouted crested skulled creatures that vaguely resemble it. Not sure how accurate those are in any case. I don't know much about Megalosaurus as it is.

Seems like a pretty good match to me:

Except that is a truly horrible Allosaurus skull.  It was sold on ebay a few years ago and I never could find any fossil it's based on.  Way too thin, maybe crushed or compressed?   I still hold it's a Metriacanthasaurus.

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 10, 2017, 05:52:22 AM
Did anyone see the running T-rexes in the Good Dinosaur? OMG. XD

The horse lie galloping ones? Yes, they were designed to gallop like a horse for the film as they were ranchers. an odd combination of both horse and rider.

ITdactyl

re: mystery ceratopsid

wait... the frill holes are actual holes (ie doesn't seem to be covered by flesh)? 

Joey

That is very odd that it doesn't have flesh over the frill holes.
I'm getting some WwD Patchi vibes over here...

hao_bao

The franchise died when the raptor said "Alan!"

PumperKrickel

deleted

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: