News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA Guidraco

Started by smashtoad, August 16, 2016, 11:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smashtoad

Finally finished my Guidraco.  Many of you may feel I went over the top on the head adornment...and you may be right.  I still love the way it looks, and since these structures wouldn't probably fossilize....who knows?  I've seen too much crazy stuff in nature to live by absolutes.  I love morphotheory.  I may have just made that word up.

Hope you dig it.
Toad

suspsy

Hmmm, very clever! Reminds me of an ocellated turkey's "warts." Although if I had to offer one criticism, it would be that the dark red colour makes it looks like there's a festering infection on the Guidraco's head. Bright orange might be more attractive.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Silvanusaurus

I dig it alright, i dig it real deep. Very nice work! This is the sort of custom i love seeing.

Jose S.M.

This reminds me the thread started earlier today I think,  or yesterday I don't know  about things or structures in extincted  animals.  I think is totally plausible, very good job!

smashtoad

Thanks you guys.  I appreciate it.  It's just Apoxie Sculpt and gorilla glue (expands)...great for warts and bumps.

Thylacosmilus

You did a very realistic job with the wattle. Congratulations!

Pachyrhinosaurus

A much-needed improvement from the original! Also want to say that that's an awesome background you have there too.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

CarnegieCollector

Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

ceratopsian

Lanthanotus

Very creative and well done customization. I really appraciate the overall change of the color scheme aswell. One small criticism from my side would be the hard contrast/transition of the head adornment to the beak and skin/pycnofibers. It may improve in realism if this contrast would be weakened at some points, however this is my personal view and only really a condern on a close look up, from a bit distance, your little big fellow now looks as if it could take wing just that moment, great work.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

This has to be my favorite customization of this model, incredible work ^-^  And the superglue trick is very clever indeed ;)

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

smashtoad

Quote from: Lanthanotus on August 17, 2016, 10:18:07 AM
One small criticism from my side would be the hard contrast/transition of the head adornment to the beak and skin/pycnofibers. It may improve in realism if this contrast would be weakened at some points....

I like it.  I'm on it.  Thanks.

smashtoad

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on August 17, 2016, 05:12:36 PM
This has to be my favorite customization of this model, incredible work ^-^  And the superglue trick is very clever indeed

Thank you.  I don't know about super glue though...only standard gorilla glue.  If you take a toothpick and put a drop down, it will coalesce (sp) into a perfect circle then expand into a perfect bump...I love it.  With more dragged around you can create other formations....as seen on other areas of the wattle structure.

Derek.McManus

Interesting interpretation!

Halichoeres

Very nice customization!

Quote from: suspsy on August 17, 2016, 12:18:43 AM
Hmmm, very clever! Reminds me of an ocellated turkey's "warts." Although if I had to offer one criticism, it would be that the dark red colour makes it looks like there's a festering infection on the Guidraco's head. Bright orange might be more attractive.

Maybe more attractive to us, but maybe birds have different tastes--plenty of wattled/caruncled birds look distinctly pestilent:

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

smashtoad

Ha!  When I was a kid my dad had Muscovy ducks...ugly as heck.  I think that's where I subliminally pulled it from.  I'm gonna break that line up between the wattle and the bill this week. I wanted to put an actual wattle hanging on each side but thought it would impede skimming.

Blade-of-the-Moon

stargatedalek

Quote from: smashtoad on August 18, 2016, 03:45:16 AM
Ha!  When I was a kid my dad had Muscovy ducks...ugly as heck.  I think that's where I subliminally pulled it from.  I'm gonna break that line up between the wattle and the bill this week. I wanted to put an actual wattle hanging on each side but thought it would impede skimming.
Guidraco aren't skimming animals (actually no species of skimming pterosaur has been discovered, every last known species was completely incapable of it). Rather Guidraco are swimmers, and freshwater ones at that. Imagine a flying river dolphin, that's more of a Guidraco's niche.

I absolutely love this custom, I've been debating whether to modify my Guidraco for months and I've finally decided I will (after I finish these mountains of unfinished customs lying around).

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 18, 2016, 05:24:26 AM
Guidraco aren't skimming animals (actually no species of skimming pterosaur has been discovered, every last known species was completely incapable of it). Rather Guidraco are swimmers, and freshwater ones at that. Imagine a flying river dolphin, that's more of a Guidraco's niche.

I absolutely love this custom, I've been debating whether to modify my Guidraco for months and I've finally decided I will (after I finish these mountains of unfinished customs lying around).

Flying River Dolphin... hmm... I actually want to draw that...
I am the Dinosaur King!

smashtoad

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on August 18, 2016, 05:29:04 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 18, 2016, 05:24:26 AM

Flying River Dolphin... hmm... I actually want to draw that...

That is a real stretch for me, and saying it as a rule, as if it is a known fact...is also a stretch.  If the proportions of these wings are correct, diving and swimming like a gannet sounds like romantic wishful thinking to me.  This morphology, just my opinion, screams buzzing the surface and plucking fish from the surface.

What part of this animal's build could possibly make it incapable of skimming?  This animal was made to skim...not like a skimmer per se...I agree the spoon would produce sudden drag.  But a dip and snatch...it could surely pull that off.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: