News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

Those pictures of the Kronosaurus make it looks really good, much better than the promotional ones, those looked very artificial to me, I don't know why exactly, maybe the lighting.

MLMjp

Wow the Krono is amazing. And the color scheme, despite being WWD again, just improves the look. :o

Killekor

Quote from: Joe289 on December 16, 2016, 09:05:39 PM
Those pictures of the Kronosaurus make it looks really good, much better than the promotional ones, those looked very artificial to me, I don't know why exactly, maybe the lighting.

You're right, Takama. When i saw the promotional photos i  was thinking that seems a cartoon, but now... WOW!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Faelrin

I quite like the Deinocheirus' paint scheme, and the color choices. Though I think the back stripes could be done better. The clean straight edges kind of makes them look a bit unnatural. I think something like the rough edges like on the markings on the tail, may be more natural for them, for example. I know that this is such a tiny nitpick for such a nice figure, but I wanted to be honest.

Anyways, it's one of my favorites out of all the new figures (Feathered Tyrannosaurus rex aside) and I hope I can get it soon. Though I do see where Sim is coming from about there being similarities in the color schemes for many of the 2017 figures. Granted everyone has different tastes, so it may or may not be an issue for people. I'm okay with the browns and whites or creams, for example, but I understand there are others that don't, or just wanted more color variety.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on December 16, 2016, 08:38:57 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on December 16, 2016, 05:25:48 PM
Actually I wish they were more biased here. If you read carefully reviews of my releases here over the years you will find plenty of people pointing out what they don't like about my pieces and their opinions are just as valid and accepted as those who do like what I do. Heck in this thread alone Sim has gone into great detail in two posts explaining how he "loathes" (say that in the voice of Jim Carry as the Grinch) my recent paint schemes on the 2017s. No one has attacked his opinion here so members are free to have negative views if they wish, much to my dismay.

I don't loathe your paint schemes for the 2017s, and I never said I did.  As I've said, I dislike how similar lots of the recent colour schemes are.  Sometimes I might also dislike certain aspects of a colour scheme but the only example of that I think I've expressed in this thread is regarding the Deinocheirus.  I have been clear that this is my opinion, and that others might not agree, and I even said I'm glad there are people who don't find the colour schemes a problem like I expressed (so it doesn't mean I find them all a problem, it refers to the specific things I expressed I don't like).  I'm always willing to hear your reasoning for choices you make for a figure, including the colour scheme.  It might change my mind about something I thought or it might not.  I would never say something with the intention to make you feel upset, and I try to express my thoughts in a fair way.

I guess I should have added a winky face but I thought the Jim Carry reference would tip it off. I was trying to add some Christmas time humour with my "loathes" while I was making my point that people do critique me here and should feel free to do so. Mind you you did make the point twice. I won't debate colour unless I have chosen a colour based on scientific evidence like the archaeopteryx. Your not liking them is your opinion and I will not try to sway your opinion. I am not upset, I would rather you had liked them but I am not upset.

Sim

Each time people have posted real-life photos of the Wild Safari Kronosaurus, I find it looks better than it does in the pre-release photos.  I've done some more comparisons with the reconstructed Kronosaurus skulls in Colin McHenry's study, including 3D reconstructions, and actually the 'crests' over the eyes of the Wild Safari and CollectA Kronosaurus look right to me.  I think I was thrown off by perspective earlier.  I'm going to add a note explaining this in the earlier post I made where I mentioned the crests.

Despite the overused colour scheme, I'm finding the Wild Safari Kronosaurus fascinating.  Its accurate skull is particularly interesting, especially after seeing so many inaccurate Kronosaurus heads.

ItsTwentyBelow

Permission granted to use my photos, Takama.

Thank you for asking  :)

I really went giddy once I saw that Kronosaurus in person. It's just such a crisp model, if that makes sense? And beefy!

Concavenator

Oh,please ,come on,how are you comparing Battats to chinasaurs?I think that's quite an insult to the Battat pieces and Dan himself,and all his work and efforts.

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 16, 2016, 09:45:38 PM
Quote from: Sim on December 16, 2016, 08:38:57 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on December 16, 2016, 05:25:48 PM
Actually I wish they were more biased here. If you read carefully reviews of my releases here over the years you will find plenty of people pointing out what they don't like about my pieces and their opinions are just as valid and accepted as those who do like what I do. Heck in this thread alone Sim has gone into great detail in two posts explaining how he "loathes" (say that in the voice of Jim Carry as the Grinch) my recent paint schemes on the 2017s. No one has attacked his opinion here so members are free to have negative views if they wish, much to my dismay.

I don't loathe your paint schemes for the 2017s, and I never said I did.  As I've said, I dislike how similar lots of the recent colour schemes are.  Sometimes I might also dislike certain aspects of a colour scheme but the only example of that I think I've expressed in this thread is regarding the Deinocheirus.  I have been clear that this is my opinion, and that others might not agree, and I even said I'm glad there are people who don't find the colour schemes a problem like I expressed (so it doesn't mean I find them all a problem, it refers to the specific things I expressed I don't like).  I'm always willing to hear your reasoning for choices you make for a figure, including the colour scheme.  It might change my mind about something I thought or it might not.  I would never say something with the intention to make you feel upset, and I try to express my thoughts in a fair way.

I guess I should have added a winky face but I thought the Jim Carry reference would tip it off. I was trying to add some Christmas time humour with my "loathes" while I was making my point that people do critique me here and should feel free to do so. Mind you you did make the point twice. I won't debate colour unless I have chosen a colour based on scientific evidence like the archaeopteryx. Your not liking them is your opinion and I will not try to sway your opinion. I am not upset, I would rather you had liked them but I am not upset.

I did think you were adding some humour with the "loathes" thing, but the context in which you used it and the other things you said in that post made me think you may have been adding humour to something you actually believed (that I loathed those paint schemes).  I missed the Christmas time reference though!

I expressed different things in those two posts, if something was repeated it was to explain something new.  The second post was a reply to tanystropheus where I expressed my thoughts on some things they had replied to me with.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on December 16, 2016, 09:07:33 PM
Wow the Krono is amazing. And the color scheme, despite being WWD again, just improves the look. :o

I thought it was more based on the Carnegie Kronosaurus's paint scheme just more detailed?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 16, 2016, 11:48:12 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on December 16, 2016, 09:07:33 PM

I thought it was more based on the Carnegie Kronosaurus's paint scheme just more detailed?
That's what I thought too. The WWD Liopleurodon is black with a white underside and white bars in rows along its flanks and some blurred stripes blending the counter-shading together. It doesn't have any blue on it, and the patterns are not as extensive as the Safari figure.

dinoMD

My kronosaurus came in as well, along with the tylosaurus and quetzalcoatlus.  Each one is superb, and the kronosaurus almost takes your breath away at first.  Definitely more impressive in person. 

The only figures I've yet to acquire are the giga, psitt, microraptor, and coelophysis, but everything thus far has been flat out the best I've seen for each species.  Incredible work Doug!!!

Also, comparing battat to generic low grade toys is insulting and foolish.  I didn't grow up with them, and only learned of their existence as an adult, but until very recently, they were undisputedly the most accurate dinosaur figures, and arguably among the most well crafted around (I recall seeing pictures of them for the first time in 2008 and just being amazed).  In fact, there is a full-scale model of the very same tyrannosaurus figure in the Boston Museum of Science today that leaves thousands of visitors a year in awe (just went there myself again this afternoon, as I live in Boston). 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinoMD on December 17, 2016, 03:19:23 AM
My kronosaurus came in as well, along with the tylosaurus and quetzalcoatlus.  Each one is superb, and the kronosaurus almost takes your breath away at first.  Definitely more impressive in person. 

The only figures I've yet to acquire are the giga, psitt, microraptor, and coelophysis, but everything thus far has been flat out the best I've seen for each species.  Incredible work Doug!!!

Also, comparing battat to generic low grade toys is insulting and foolish.  I didn't grow up with them, and only learned of their existence as an adult, but until very recently, they were undisputedly the most accurate dinosaur figures, and arguably among the most well crafted around (I recall seeing pictures of them for the first time in 2008 and just being amazed).  In fact, there is a full-scale model of the very same tyrannosaurus figure in the Boston Museum of Science today that leaves thousands of visitors a year in awe (just went there myself again this afternoon, as I live in Boston).

Dan also sculpted that beast for the museum, our T-Rex here uses the same eyes and teeth thanks to some spares Dan had. :)

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Verahin on December 16, 2016, 03:50:53 AM
I know that Safari is an holy cow over here, ok, but Battat, seriously? Couple of models aside you can find better chinasaurs than Battats.

Even if Battat is being surpassed in both accuracy and detail by modern brands, it is still important to respect our elders. Battat is the precursor to the modern toy figures and frankly deserves to at least be respected for what it did at the time. I may not like most Battat toys personally (except for the parasaurolophus which Ilove dearly), but I still have enough respect for them to not go out and insult the brand for being old.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on December 17, 2016, 04:59:39 AM
Quote from: Verahin on December 16, 2016, 03:50:53 AM
I know that Safari is an holy cow over here, ok, but Battat, seriously? Couple of models aside you can find better chinasaurs than Battats.

Even if Battat is being surpassed in both accuracy and detail by modern brands, it is still important to respect our elders. Battat is the precursor to the modern toy figures and frankly deserves to at least be respected for what it did at the time. I may not like most Battat toys personally (except for the parasaurolophus which Ilove dearly), but I still have enough respect for them to not go out and insult the brand for being old.

I just bought Battat Terra figures in urzeitshop and do not seem comparatively poorly their figures even many of them outperform current dinosaur companies although I know that all comparisons are odious.

On the other hand you have to have the context of the time, and that does not mean that your figures from my honest point of view with their defects are not badly shaped figures and we must recognize that we would like Dan to live so that this way Modeling more Battat figures.

Although we are doing odious comparisons and we are leaving the thematic thread dedicated to the Safari 2017 dinosaurs.

suchomimus

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on December 16, 2016, 08:46:16 PM
Went to my local shop in Kent, WA yesterday and found that they have their Safari shipment in! Limited myself to Kronosaurus and Einiosaurus for now, but got to see and handle everything else, except T.rex.

These are superb models. I'm glad I never had the Carnegie Kronosaurus.

Any idea what's the scale on these two? AFAIK the feathered velo is approx 1:10 or 11

modelnut

The few fossilized skin impressions of ocean going reptiles show scales on the order of a few centimeters in size. So the only way you would see scales on a model or statue would be if it was life-sized not on any commercially available figure or kit.

http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/science-color-mosasaurs-ichthyosaurs-turtles-1672.html

- Leelan

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suchomimus on December 17, 2016, 04:34:26 PM
Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on December 16, 2016, 08:46:16 PM
Went to my local shop in Kent, WA yesterday and found that they have their Safari shipment in! Limited myself to Kronosaurus and Einiosaurus for now, but got to see and handle everything else, except T.rex.

These are superb models. I'm glad I never had the Carnegie Kronosaurus.

Any idea what's the scale on these two? AFAIK the feathered velo is approx 1:10 or 11

I love the kronosaurus Safari but now that we talk about the discontinued Carnegie kronosaurus I hope the new version is not hollow like its predecessor and a semi-rigid plastic. In any case, the new kronosaurus version of Safari is far superior to other toy pliosaurus figures and only rivals the Collecta brand Safari.

On the other hand the kronosaurus Safari will be on a scale of 1:30 or 1:35 by calculating the size.

Sim

Earlier on, I expressed feeling the colouration of the WS Deinocheirus's head clashes with itself and the colouration on the rest of the Deinocheirus.  I've realised now that isn't how I feel.  I see now that what made it look that way to me is the yellow-brown colouration of a lot of the Deinocheirus's feathers.  It's this yellow-brown that I personally find doesn't work well as it is on the Deinocheirus figure.  This is of course just my opinion, and I wonder if I would feel differently if a yellow-brown hadn't been used as often as it has been on the recent WS figures.  I'm not planning to say anything more about the yellow-brown colour schemes, but I wanted to share that rather than not liking a number of things about the Deinocheirus's colouration like I said earlier in this thread, it's just the yellow-brown on the feathers that I don't like.  It'll be good to see some better photos of the WS Deinocheirus as it's a very good figure.

Blade-of-the-Moon

it's easy enough to repaint it. Let me know if that interests you, for the next month or two i'm open for commissions.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: