News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetdin

Quote from: SBell on January 22, 2017, 04:04:28 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 22, 2017, 11:52:06 AM
This shows that both the feathered tyrannosaurus rex and the rest of theropods and animals in which many forum members unfortunately have problems in keeping them standing remain perfectly balanced.

Unfortunately (I also consider myself a lucky one) the one that is not kept in this case the feathered tyrannosaurus rex is due to packing problems or to manufacturing faults

I tend to agree. The T.rex and 'raptor are quite well balanced--but for the Giga to have such nice, slender (appropriate) legs, with a walking-stride in it's feet, it has to be on a base. It could never stand without it, and it would look really big-footed otherwise.

Plus, the base is very thin and barely noticaeable anyway.

yes . bases allow for nice natural poses. and for someone like me who has to order all his figures online from sellers that are thousands of miles away, i wouldnt want to go through the fuss of returning figures if i find the one i received was warped or something.

Victoria's Cantina

Opened up my order from Safari's website. T-Rex has a couple paint chips above and behind his eye, plus a couple more above his right hip. His teeth are also a little messy. At least he balances fine though. The raptor's tail is bent downward but paint is great. And the Diplodocus is a work of art. Easily my favorite of the three.

Reptilia

Oh my, the more I see pics of these two the less I'm inclined to fork out 50 dollars or more to buy 'em. Won't you return the raptor, Victoria? This warped tail is really annoying in my opinion. I've seen a video of a guy on YouTube who got his T-Rex with the upper jaw awfully warped too, I don't know what else people have to see in these figures to aknowledge the evident problem Safari has with quality control. You can produce the most scientific accurate models of the whole market (and it's still arguable), but if you screw them up with a sloppy subpar production then I guess you're not that great company.

Flaffy

I've rarely purchase Safari models because of the quality control...
Especially annoyed with the sloppy paint applications and warping issues.

spinosaurus1

i now have the giganotosaurus in hand. i have to say. the model without doubt looks better in hand then what photos convey. even the colors which admittedly, was much to my chagrin look a lot better in person. so much so that i might reconsider repainting it( or just go ahead and order another one just to repaint myself). the only issue with quality control is a small patch of white pint from the claws bleed to the fingers. but other then that, i have a pretty decent figure and i like the size of it.

up next is the feathered tyrannosaurus which should be here tomorrow. i'll be honest, with everyone recently bringing up the issues they have with their figures, i'm crossing every appendage on my body in hopes mine would be in decent shape.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Reptilia on January 25, 2017, 04:03:16 AMOh my, the more I see pics of these two the less I'm inclined to fork out 50 dollars or more to buy 'em. Won't you return the raptor, Victoria? This warped tail is really annoying in my opinion. I've seen a video of a guy on YouTube who got his T-Rex with the upper jaw awfully warped too, I don't know what else people have to see in these figures to aknowledge the evident problem Safari has with quality control. You can produce the most scientific accurate models of the whole market (and it's still arguable), but if you screw them up with a sloppy subpar production then I guess you're not that great company.
I do believe I've said this before, and if not I apologize for coming on so strong right off, but damage or warping during shipping is not quality control unless the product in question is pre-packaged. These figures warping has nothing to do with Safari manufacturing processes whatsoever. Unless you intend to claim that being able to be warped is bad quality control, in which case you have grossly unreasonable expectations, for any plastic product.

Amazon is the one to blame for not packaging them well enough. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe even in their Amazon store distribution is still handled entirely by Amazon (as in Safari send them some crates full of figures, they send them to the customer, just like any other business would, except they also let Safari manage their own page).

I used to get my Safari directly from the manufacturer, and they were always well packaged and never arrived warped.

Also, warped plastic can be fixed very easily using hot water, it's just something one should expect to need to do if they want to maintain plastic figures in display condition.

Flaffy

There is no excuse for sloppy paint app however.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Reptilia on January 25, 2017, 04:03:16 AM
Oh my, the more I see pics of these two the less I'm inclined to fork out 50 dollars or more to buy 'em. Won't you return the raptor, Victoria? This warped tail is really annoying in my opinion. I've seen a video of a guy on YouTube who got his T-Rex with the upper jaw awfully warped too, I don't know what else people have to see in these figures to aknowledge the evident problem Safari has with quality control. You can produce the most scientific accurate models of the whole market (and it's still arguable), but if you screw them up with a sloppy subpar production then I guess you're not that great company.

Safari's website says that if your figure is warped you can bend it back in shape. They don't seem to consider it a QC issue. They don't mention anything about paint, however. Paint defects certainly are QC related. Since these are mass produced, I understand that paint is almost always going to have some sort of imperfection, and I'm OK with that. But, I gotta admit that paint scuffs on the face really bother me. I might email Safari about it and see what they say. And the guy with the crooked T-Rex jaw is my pal Matthew the Dinosaur King. I believe he had it replaced by Everything Dinosaur.

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 25, 2017, 05:55:10 AMI do believe I've said this before, and if not I apologize for coming on so strong right off, but damage or warping during shipping is not quality control unless the product in question is pre-packaged. These figures warping has nothing to do with Safari manufacturing processes whatsoever. Unless you intend to claim that being able to be warped is bad quality control, in which case you have grossly unreasonable expectations, for any plastic product.

Amazon is the one to blame for not packaging them well enough. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe even in their Amazon store distribution is still handled entirely by Amazon (as in Safari send them some crates full of figures, they send them to the customer, just like any other business would, except they also let Safari manage their own page).

I used to get my Safari directly from the manufacturer, and they were always well packaged and never arrived warped.

Also, warped plastic can be fixed very easily using hot water, it's just something one should expect to need to do if they want to maintain plastic figures in display condition.

Mine came from Safari.com. I can't speak for Amazon in this case as the only Safari product I've bought on Amazon was the ammonite, which was OK. Safari actually packed these very well, but that still didn't keep the raptor from warping. My guess is that it was probably warped in transit from the manufacturer to Safari since there doesn't seem to be a way it could have happened in my shipping box. And yes, this is a fixable issue. An annoying one, but one that can be fixed. Paint on the other hand...

Jetdin

Quote from: Victoria B on January 25, 2017, 12:38:22 AM
Opened up my order from Safari's website. T-Rex has a couple paint chips above and behind his eye, plus a couple more above his right hip. His teeth are also a little messy. At least he balances fine though. The raptor's tail is bent downward but paint is great. And the Diplodocus is a work of art. Easily my favorite of the three.

please do a review victoria!

Jetdin

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on January 25, 2017, 05:00:28 AM
i now have the giganotosaurus in hand. i have to say. the model without doubt looks better in hand then what photos convey. even the colors which admittedly, was much to my chagrin look a lot better in person. so much so that i might reconsider repainting it( or just go ahead and order another one just to repaint myself). the only issue with quality control is a small patch of white pint from the claws bleed to the fingers. but other then that, i have a pretty decent figure and i like the size of it.

up next is the feathered tyrannosaurus which should be here tomorrow. i'll be honest, with everyone recently bringing up the issues they have with their figures, i'm crossing every appendage on my body in hopes mine would be in decent shape.

overall its nice isnt it. the size is the best part about it

spinosaurus1

now have my safari tyrannosaurus. got to say, i really like this figure. it balances well on it's two feet, and not to much to harp on as far as paint apps go.l  i'm happy with it

MLMjp

Uff
I hope my rex and raptor dont have these problems. It's a same that most of us have to order it online because there is no store which carries Safari figures. Thus we are not able to see the figure before buying it. So there is always the risk of having some issues.

spinosaurus1

Quoteoverall its nice isnt it. the size is the best part about it

i have to say, i'm pleasantly surprised that the figure does look better in hand then what photos shown of it. still can't get myself to like the color apps and color scheme on it, but really looks better in person. my favorite part of the figure is actually the mouth. i'm really digging the glossy sheen it has. really hope safari does continue this size range for their large theropods if this is the extra effort that can be placed into them.

spinosaurus1

Nanuqsaurus

The Giga looks really good in these pictures! Wasn't sure if I would buy it or not, but now I know I need it! :) Way better than the Schleich Giganotosaurus I currently have in my collection.

CMIPalaeo

Wow! I really like the Giganotosaurus, wasn't too sure about it at first. I still don't think I'll get it - I have the excellent Carnegie one and that's good enough for me. That Diplodocus... every picture makes me like it more!
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

MLMjp

I completely regret not ordering the Giganotosaurus along with the T. rex and V-raptor. The pictures that you guys post are just majestic.

suspsy

I probably would get the Giga if I thought it would fit into my limited display space (I'm positive it won't). These two figures beautifully demonstrate the physiological differences between carcharodontosaurs and tyrannosaurs. They'd be a fun teaching tool.

We'll see.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on January 25, 2017, 10:14:44 PM
I probably would get the Giga if I thought it would fit into my limited display space (I'm positive it won't). These two figures beautifully demonstrate the physiological differences between carcharodontosaurs and tyrannosaurs. They'd be a fun teaching tool.

We'll see.

I wonder how the Giga looks juxtaposed with the Carcharodontosaurus, size-wise (granted, the production values for the Giga are a lot more pronounced)

I would also like to see the Yutyrannus (I almost typed Y-rex) juxtaposed with this T-rex.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 26, 2017, 03:35:18 AM
I would also like to see the Yutyrannus (I almost typed Y-rex) juxtaposed with this T-rex.

Same here!!! I can't wait to pose a little family tree using the new Rex, Yutyrannus, and the Dilong from the Feathered Dinosaurs Toob. Maybe I'll get the Collecta Lythronax too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: