News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Looks like Safari have got some cool new creatures lined up! Check out that Tyrannosaurus. And a new mosasaur?

Parasaurolophus

Microraptor

Coelophysis

Quetzalcoatlus

Kronosaurus

Tylosaurus

Psittacosaurus

Velociraptor

Giganotosaurus

Tyrannosaurus

Einiosaurus

Deinocheirus

Diplodocus

Halichoeres

Quote from: Patrx on August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Looks like Safari have got some cool new creatures lined up! Check out that Tyrannosaurus. And a new mosasaur?

Oh man I love it! Do I also spy an azhdarchid off in the distance? Looks like it's going to be a good year!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pachyrhinosaurus

Now that, CollectA, is how you make a feathered T. Rex. The quetzalcoatlus looks promising too.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Takama

Wow looks like i wont need to get a replacement for my 2011 t.Rex after all.

Simon

Original comment deleted as I fooslishly confused Safari with the defunct Carnegie line for a moment.  :-[

That TRex, if sculpted as I hope it was by Doug Watson, looks like an absolute "HOMERUN"!

;D ;D ;D

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Simon on August 22, 2016, 08:48:02 PM
Before anyone gets too excited about the TRex, remember that in the past Safari theropod sculpts have suffered from 2 basic (and completely avoidable) problems:

1.  Tripod pose;
2.  Ankles and feet that were much too thin and too small;

Hopefully whoever did the sculpt above has learned from these past shortcomings, but until we actually see the entire critter, I would caution you to temper your enthusiasm.

Having said that, the part of the TRex that we can see does look like it MIGHT turn out to be one of the best TRex PVC sculpts out there.

So, let's stay tuned and remain cautiously optimistic.  ;)

It looks obvious from the picture that the Rex is a tripod. Which is fine with me, I'd rather have an accurate tripod even if it's over done than an inaccurate big foot (or inaccurate ungulate toe walker on a base like the Collecta versions).

I don't know why tripod counts as a problem? It's over done but only because it's the only stable pose for a theropod without a base.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Patrx

Before anyone gets too excited about the TRex, remember that in the past Safari theropod sculpts have suffered from 2 basic (and completely avoidable) problems:

1.  Tripod pose;
2.  Ankles and feet that were much too thin and too small;

Hopefully whoever did the sculpt above has learned from these past shortcomings, but until we actually see the entire critter, I would caution you to temper your enthusiasm.

Having said that, the part of the TRex that we can see does look like it MIGHT turn out to be one of the best TRex PVC sculpts out there.

So, let's stay tuned and remain cautiously optimistic.  ;)

This one definitely looks like Doug's work, not Forest Rogers' - so I have higher expectations regarding the ankles and feet. I share your concerns about the tripod pose, though, Safari have been reluctant with bases. Beyond that, there are a few smaller things that trouble me. No lips, big reticulae on the face, and I fully anticipate birdlike tarsal scutes, even Doug's Carcharadontosaurus had those.

Even with all those worries, I think it looks superior to CollectA's efforts so far.

Simon

Quote from: Dinoguy2, Patrx
Original comment deleted as I foolishly confused Safari with the defunct Carnegie line for a moment.  :-[

That TRex, if sculpted as I hope it was by Doug Watson, looks like an absolute "HOMERUN"!

;D ;D ;D

dinoguy2 and Patrx - I "fixed" your quotes of my original post...  ;)

Derek.McManus

Definitely some interesting creatures in the picture!

empire3569

That feathered Rex looks beautiful, much better than the gaudy CollectA one. I've been holding off on some of the Safari models I like (mainly that Carcharodontosaurus....) but if the actual figure looks half as good as that preview pic, I don't think I will be able to say no!

DC

I would not rush to judgment of the stance for T rex.  In the past Safari has made tilt figures that can be posed fully bipedal but played with in a tripod stance.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Balaur

Feathered rex looks nice! Thought following what you said Patrx, most people still don't know anout the whole dinosaur lip situation so I can forgive that. It looks fantastic! And the azhdarchid too! Beenw anting an azhdarchid from Safari for a loooong time! And the mosasaur? looks awesome too! Anybody know if there will be more to come?

In case anybody is curious, yes, I am back. I've been away for a while!

Patrx

Quote from: Balaur on August 22, 2016, 10:00:56 PM
Anybody know if there will be more to come?

It sounds like there will be more - Here's the text Safari included with the image on Facebook:

Quote from: Safari Ltd.Feast your eyes! Here are some of the NEW 2017 Safari Ltd. Animals, Dragons, and Dinosaurs. See any that you are excited about? Let us know and stay tuned for more!

suspsy

Pardon my language, but HOLY !*#%CAKES!  :D :D :D

That Feathered T. rex looks damn gorgeous.

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Yutyrannus

Really looking forward to that azhdarchid, although it would be nice if it was in a walking pose instead. The Tyrannosaurus and mosasaur look pretty good too, but the lack of lips on the former is pretty bothersome.

Also, is that a hobbit I see on the right side of the image? If so, I think we can expect to hear about another lawsuit pretty soon ::).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

John

I wonder what size that new Tyrannosaurus rex is?It seems noticeably more detailed than the usual Wild Safari line.I wonder if it could be the first in a new larger scale model series that acts as the replacement for the Carnegie Museum series?It's very nice,as are the new mosasaur and pterosaur models. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

QuoteAlso, is that a hobbit I see on the right side of the image? If so, I think we can expect to hear about another lawsuit pretty soon ::).

They'll probably call it a halfling or something similar.

Patrx

Quote from: John on August 22, 2016, 10:48:39 PM
I wonder what size that new Tyrannosaurus rex is?It seems noticeably more detailed than the usual Wild Safari line.

I dunno, it does seem somehow like it'll be pretty big, but most of Safari's newer pieces are pretty darn detailed if you take a close look. Looking at the underside of this new Tyrannosaurus' head, I think it looks like a wash of dark paint is bringing out the details, which is neat. Usually, Safari's paint applications are pretty simplistic.

empire3569

Quote from: Patrx on August 22, 2016, 11:17:16 PM
Quote from: John on August 22, 2016, 10:48:39 PM
I wonder what size that new Tyrannosaurus rex is?It seems noticeably more detailed than the usual Wild Safari line.

I dunno, it does seem somehow like it'll be pretty big, but most of Safari's newer pieces are pretty darn detailed if you take a close look. Looking at the underside of this new Tyrannosaurus' head, I think it looks like a wash of dark paint is bringing out the details, which is neat. Usually, Safari's paint applications are pretty simplistic.

And the teeth on it look noticeably more fine/sharp than previous therapods from Safari; perhaps another clue that it might be a bit larger?

Concavenator

Wow!We sure are getting the news early this year! :)) It looks like it's going to be a truly fantastic year,better than 2016,in my opinion.I imagine there are still more figures to be unveiled,but it's looking damn exciting.
I personally found 2016 a bit boring for Safari ,but 2017 is looking great (just like 2015 was).

Also,I've found that two of my wishes have become true.I had hopes for an updated mosasaur,though it's different as to how I imagine mosasaurs,I think of them as more whale-like creatured rather than lizard-like.I suppose it has a fluked tail.

I also wanted to see am azdarchid from them,and it looks pretty cool,though it hardly can be seen.

And that Tyrannosaurus...Oh well.I didn't think Safari would do a feathered Tyrannosaurus,but thanks God I'm wrong.It looks very,very very badass .It appears to be extremely accurate...more so than the CollectA version (same as with the Carcharodontosaurus).It also reminds me of the Saurian one.

So far it looks like a classic lineup,no exotic species...so far  ;)   ;D

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.