News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

For me the most anticipated the tyrannosaurus rex feathered, the velociraptor and especially the einosaurus (the first I have), the coelopysis and Deinocheirus.

This year I think for sure it will be eventful in prehistoric dinosaurs by Safari. Pena not to release commercial pictures.

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 20, 2016, 03:17:33 PM
Quote from: suspsy on September 20, 2016, 01:45:12 PM
Can you say with certainty that hadrosaurs weren't plump and juicy like bovids? Can anyone? ^-^

That made me think Baaaaaah! instead of Mooooo! ^-^

Yeah, they are rather sheep-ish, if you'll pardon the pun.

QuoteAt this point I would expect nothing less unfortunately. You know retirement is really looking good about now, if only I had the money.

Aside from my small personal Parasaurolophus gripe (and once again, I'm approximately 94.03% sure I'm going to buy it), I haven't seen very many negative comments yet. Perhaps there will be more once all the photos are released, but I guarantee they'll be vastly outnumbered by all the positive feedback!  :)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

I've seen some criticism in this thread, mainly about paintjobs and color choices, which like I said before I don't really get. But it's true that the only disappointment Supsy expressed was in the choice of parasaurolophus instead of other crested hadrosaurs, Not in the line, sculpts or colors.
And to Doug Watson, I think I speak for most of us here in that we want a lot more figures from you in the future, I hope you are not discouraged because of the negativity, I personally love everything you have done to date for the wild safari line.

DinoLord

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 20, 2016, 03:17:33 PMAt this point I would expect nothing less unfortunately. You know retirement is really looking good about now, if only I had the money.

This brings to mind the saying quit while you're at the top. In my opinion the past few years of Safari releases have been an unprecedented level of consistently high quality. I've found myself buying more or less every recent WS figure unless it's a type of animal I generally don't collect. As someone who's loved Safari figures since childhood it's exciting to see this increase in both figure output and quality.

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on September 20, 2016, 04:10:11 PM
Aside from my small personal Parasaurolophus gripe (and once again, I'm approximately 94.03% sure I'm going to buy it), I haven't seen very many negative comments yet. Perhaps there will be more once all the photos are released, but I guarantee they'll be vastly outnumbered by all the positive feedback!  :)

Actually looking back I thought I saw more than just yours. Maybe it was too early in the morning. The paint gripes do tend to weigh on a guy and I am sure there will be more to come. I am off to thicken my skin some more.

Dilopho

I really like the Giganotosaurus, if that is the identify of that figure, but currently I have my mind fixed on the Carnegie one. If I can ever find one I would snap it up in an instant because personally I have really grown attached to it, like Suspsy and the Collecta rex, but I don't even own the figure!
Quote from: Doug Watson on September 20, 2016, 07:07:14 PM
The paint gripes do tend to weigh on a guy and I am sure there will be more to come. I am off to thicken my skin some more.
Doug, I am liking the new colour schemes. While some of the combinations may not be my taste it is great to see some wilder, non-conservative colour schemes. Not like, Schleich, but like something John Conway or Luis V. Ray would paint, like these:

Actually, Conway painted those paras earlier in the thread that, I think, Suspsy posted.
Oh man I just looooove his paintings so much  ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Doug Watson

Quote from: DinoLord on September 20, 2016, 05:31:11 PM
This brings to mind the saying quit while you're at the top. In my opinion the past few years of Safari releases have been an unprecedented level of consistently high quality. I've found myself buying more or less every recent WS figure unless it's a type of animal I generally don't collect. As someone who's loved Safari figures since childhood it's exciting to see this increase in both figure output and quality.

I usually don't respond to compliments or negative comments but I will take that buttery comment and spread it on me to help thicken my epidermis. Does that sound weird or what?

Dilopho

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 20, 2016, 07:21:20 PM
Quote from: DinoLord on September 20, 2016, 05:31:11 PM

I usually don't respond to compliments or negative comments but I will take that buttery comment and spread it on me to help thicken my epidermis. Does that sound weird or what?
That sounds.....disgusting, haha!  :o
Why don't you respond to comments?

MLMjp

Wow :o
I am very impresed. There is actually going to be 13 figures for this year! And we already know their possible measurements!

Quote from: Dino8me1 on September 20, 2016, 09:34:47 AM
Quote from: darth daniel on September 20, 2016, 08:08:54 AM
Did the catalogue provide the scales or sizes of the figures?

Due to their small sizes, I could not tell you exactly how big they are, but here are the  dimensions I can read from those small pictures

Microraptor : 7"W x 5.25"L

T.rex : 12"L x 5.25"H

Velociraptor : 8.5"L x 2.75"H

Psittacosaurus : 5.25"L x 1.75"H

Tylosaurus : 9.25"L x 1.5"H

Diplodocus : 18"L x 4.5"H

Einiosaurus : 6.25"L x 2.5"H

Cronosaurus : 13.5"L x 7.75"H

Quetzalcoatlas : 7.25"L x 8.75"H

Deinocheirus : 7.75"L x 3"H

Parasaurolophus : 7.75"L x 2.25"H

Giganotosuarus : 14.5"L x 4"H

Coelophysis : 7.25"L x 2.5"H

Very cool list

Quote from: Rain on September 20, 2016, 12:18:52 PM
Lol, so the new T rex IS bigger than usual! *bratty kid voice* I told you so  >:D :P
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!
I might finally have a feathered Tyrannosaurus in my collection ;D Hope those measurements are correct ^-^
I also think that I will finally start a non scale colection for smaller species, up to date Velociraptor, Microraptor and Psittacosarus are too good to pass on.

The only thing that bugs me is that, if the measurements of the Deinocherus are correct, the thing is too small >:( . First Collecta and now Safari, make this dinosaur in a big size damm it!

Anyway, cannot wait for the official reveals!

SpartanSquat

I think Safari will release the pics soon since they probably read the leaked list here. Waiting to see the Einiosaurus and Parasaurolophus!

DC

Coelophysis has been at the top of my short list for awhile.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Patrx

I don't think the design of Safari's paint schemes is particularly lacking - there's a lot of variety, and they're generally pretty convincing colors and patterns. The promo shots and prototypes tend to look quite nice. But, out of the factory and into the shops, some of the detail and nuance gets lost. This seems really variable, too, even within the same year. Compare the Sauropelta and the Nasutoceratops, for example. Both are great sculpts - in fact, my favorites of all the plastic dinosaurs on my shelf. But while the Sauropelta has a nice dark wash and smooth gradients on the spikes, the Nasutoceratops has no wash, a single black dot on each eye, and all the subtle yellows and greys from the promo images ended up looking like hasty, solid splotches instead. I'm sure there are good reasons for this, and in any case, I don't mind much because I enjoy repainting when I have time.

This certainly promises to be an exciting year in terms of Safari dinosaurs - I think I'll need more shelves! Also, yes, considering how ubiquitous Coelophysis seems to be, there really aren't a lot of decent figures out there. I look forward to seeing this one!

Andreioli

Keep refreshing this page:
https://www.safariltd.com/new-dragon-animal-dinosaur-toys?animal_group=114&isAjax=1

They started posting the new products on their website.
So far the images are just silhouettes, but at least we get official dimensions !

Doug Watson

Quote from: Dilopho on September 20, 2016, 07:28:50 PM
That sounds.....disgusting, haha!  :o
Why don't you respond to comments?

Responding to compliments just looks self serving to me and for the most part negative comments are usually based on personal tastes like "I just don't like it" or "I hate it", what can I really say to change that? I really don't have the time or energy to get into long drawn out negative debates (really I should be back at work right now). If someone makes a pointed comment concerning the science behind the piece and I have information to back my argument I sometimes respond to those kind of comments. Or if someone makes a comment saying I am using a particular technique and I am not I will correct those as well.

MLMjp

Quote from: Andreioli on September 20, 2016, 07:43:24 PM
https://www.safariltd.com/new-dragon-animal-dinosaur-toys?animal_group=114&isAjax=1

So far the images are just silhouettes, but at least we get official dimensions !
Yesss....sooner or later they will reveal everything ^-^

But
No...No...No
Do not enter into the base league Safari....Just don´t :(

Patrx

Huzzah! It looks like the Giganotosaurus has a base  :D

suspsy

Well, well, the Giganotosaurus is mounted on a base. Me, I have zero issue with that, but no doubt some people will be disappointed or even upset.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dilopho

Quote from: MLMjp on September 20, 2016, 07:49:19 PM
Quote from: Andreioli on September 20, 2016, 07:43:24 PM

Yesss....sooner or later they will reveal everything ^-^

But
No...No...No
Do not enter into the base league Safari....Just don´t
Bases will be fine if:

• They use it to their advantage and make good proportions
  • They make the bases NICE, like the rocky Carnegie bases

Dilopho

Wait, they mis-spelt Giganotosaurus and Gigantosaurus nyeheheheheh  ;D

Shonisaurus

I look forward to fully reveal all figures in Safari, it will be a treat.

This year will be perhaps the best Safari far.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: