News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Battat Dynasty

Started by Bokisaurus, June 08, 2012, 09:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Invicta Hunter

I wasnt to sure what to do with my mini rex either. I just ended up leaving it in its bag, it still displays well and its nice knowing that it will always be in the same condition as when it left the factory.

Raptoress

God, I remember these from when I was a kid. I remember the triceratops was also produced in another colour, though? A sort of blue-ish with red or brown spots? Anyway cool collection. Brought back some sweet memories.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Aliciaraptor on November 20, 2013, 12:46:41 AM
God, I remember these from when I was a kid. I remember the triceratops was also produced in another colour, though? A sort of blue-ish with red or brown spots? Anyway cool collection. Brought back some sweet memories.
You're not referring to the ELC Trike, are you? That was a copy of Safari's Great Dinos Trike.

They do look sort of similar so it's pretty understandable.

DC

Quote from: docronnie on July 03, 2013, 07:16:57 AM
Battat Company (are they even still around)?

The Batatt company based in Canada is still in the toy business, Chinasaur figures.  They are present at the New York Toy Fair each year.  A couple of years ago they closed their New York warehouse and the last of the Batatt figures hit the market.  That is the source of the mini T Rex's.   They still have the molds and own them last I heard, about a year ago.  The question would be what Royalties are owed to the museum or the artists.  When they appeared they really changed the direction of the Toy biz but by todays standards they are dated and their production quality control did not match what Safari Ltd, Schliech, Papo or CollectA have.  That said it would be interesting to get the molds and produce some limited runs maybe with new paints or unpainted.  I would suggest Boston Museum was paid only for their endorsement so the figures could be marketed without the endorsement.  Getting the molds would not be cheap and you would need to find out what injection systems would work with them.  Hand casting them would not be cost effective.

You can never have too many dinosaurs

tyrantqueen

Quote from: DC on November 21, 2013, 03:30:31 PM
Quote from: docronnie on July 03, 2013, 07:16:57 AM
Battat Company (are they even still around)?

the Batatt company based in Canada is still in the toy business China's figures.  They are present at the New York Toy Fair each year.  A couple of years ago they closed their New York warehouse and the last of the Batatt figures hit the market.  That is the source of the mini T Rex's.   They still have the molds and own them last I heard, about a year ago.  The question would be what Royalties are owed to the museum or the artists.  When they appeared they they really changed the direction of the Toy biz but by todays standards they are dated and their production quality control did not match what Safari Ltd, Schliech, Papo or CollectA have.  That said it would be interesting to get the molds and produce some limited runs maybe with new paints or unpainted.  I would suggest Boston Museum was paid only for their endorsement so the figures could be marketed with out the endorsement.  Getting the mold would not be cheap and you would need to out what injection systems would work with them.  Had casting them would not be cost effective.
The Battat company itself is still around...but the dinosaur line is more or less extinct.

However, Greg Wenzel and Dan LoRusso are still in the sculpting business, producing mostly model kits these days. Many of their resin models are a similar scale to the Battat ones, and fit in quite nicely with them.

Brachiosaurus

I own/owned 6 battats. I have 2 amargasaurus, a dilophosaurus, Utah raptor ,and at one time 2 ouranosaurus, one of the ouranosaurus was eaten by my puppy two years ago.

DinoToyForum

With the news about Terra I thought I'd look up the Battat thread to see again what came before.

I don't see it mentioned anywhere in this thread, or anywhere on the forum for that matter, but can anyone confirm which figures Dan sculpted and which ones Greg sculpted? Or, did they sculpt them in collaboration somehow? Maybe even Dan could answer himself now that he is a member  8)  :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 13, 2014, 01:18:13 PM
With the news about Terra I thought I'd look up the Battat thread to see again what came before.

I don't see it mentioned anywhere in this thread, or anywhere on the forum for that matter, but can anyone confirm which figures Dan sculpted and which ones Greg sculpted? Or, did they sculpt them in collaboration somehow? Maybe even Dan could answer himself now that he is a member  8)  :)
I would ask another question- how come Dan LoRusso and Gregory Wenzel have such similar styles? I can't tell their sculpts apart unless it's pointed out to me. Do you guys both sculpt similarly to keep the style of the line consistent?

Bokisaurus

Both artist have very similar styles, but there is slight difference. Also, having a consistent style helped the line be more cohesive .
Dan sculpted the following figures:
The mighty Diplo
Stego
Dilophosaurus
Amarga (the first for the species)
Edmontonia
Ceratosaurus
Euoplocephalus
Maiasaurus
Carnotourus

A total of 9 figures. Greg W sculpted the rest of the figures in the line. I assume they also did the small versions of the figures.
Hope that helps  ^-^

postsaurischian

....... can anyone confirm which figures Dan sculpted and which ones Greg sculpted?

Boki is right. They're all listed on the Dinosaur Studio page. See here: http://www.dinosaurstudio.com/museum.htm

loru1588

Greg and I just have similar styles, it's that simple. Greg had been at it much longer than I at the time. When we started the MOS line we just picked which 3 out of each series we wanted to sculpt and went at it. Greg lived about 40 minutes from me so we really didn't compare notes / sculptures. We may have talked about it on the phone a bit but, nothing more than that. I was a good partnership while it lasted.

Bokisaurus

Battat: The next generation!
Well, here they are, the new Battat  figures! They are nicely done figures, just like their predecessors. I'm not sure what scale they are, but you can see an idea of how they compare to some of the original figures.Released under TERRA by BATTAT and is part of Dan LoRusso Collection.
First up is Pachyrhinosaurus Lakustai ( my favorite of the bunch)

With the two original Battat ceratopsians ( by Gregg W, not Dan) and Papo and Safari pacys

Next up, Nashiungosaurus Brevispinus

Makes a nice companion to CollectA's Theri

Then we have Dacentrurus Armartus

Last we have Cryoloposaurus Elliotti

And we have the group together ( outside the box)

For now, these figures are TARGET Store exclusive, so head down to your local Target and grab all 4 of them! ;D

John

Quote from: Bokisaurus on August 15, 2014, 01:16:15 AM
Battat: The next generation!
Well, here they are, the new Battat  figures! They are nicely done figures, just like their predecessors. I'm not sure what scale they are, but you can see an idea of how they compare to some of the original figures.Released under TERRA by BATTAT and is part of Dan LoRusso Collection.

They are in 1:40 scale,like their Museum of Science,Boston predecessors. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

postsaurischian

Quote from: Bokisaurus on August 15, 2014, 01:16:15 AM

The Pachyrhinosaurus looks more like 1:35.
It was about as long as Styracosaurus.

Dinoguy2

Largest Pachyrhinosaurus are around 8m long, similar to Triceratops (9m).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Gwangi

It's true. I went and looked it up because I also thought it was on the larger size. Was not aware they got so large!

leidy

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 13, 2014, 01:36:48 PM

I would ask another question- how come Dan LoRusso and Gregory Wenzel have such similar styles? I can't tell their sculpts apart unless it's pointed out to me.

Really?

Greg Wenzel's detailing is incredibly polished.  He does some of the best wrinkled hides outside of the old Invicta line.  Look at his Styracosaurus (best in the line, IMO).  The folds and wrinkles aren't just scraped in with a needle, there's a real flow to them, how they wrap and buckle around the limbs, and the symmetry is perfect.

Dan's tend to be a little rougher and don't usually have quite that high level of finesse,(sorry Dan) although I definitely prefer Dan's Maiasaura to Greg's Parasaurolphus. 

Where the styles overlap is both have very accurate posture and proportions.  You really see this in the comparison between Dan's Pachyrhinosaurus with the Papo and WS.  The other two are more detail-oriented with individually defined scales, but they have oversized digits and don't quite get the barrel chest right. The 3 Battat ceratopsians fit together much better, and there's a nice sense of weight to the Pachy. 

grantharding

Great comparison photos! It would be really awesome to see a big group shot, with the new guys mixed in with the old guys.

Libraraptor

So cool to see them among the others, I need to get them all!

stoneage

:)  Boki why didn't you show the Collecta Decentrurus in your comparision shots?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: