News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

What's wrong with the 'godawful youtube review pages people keep spamming this thread with'? At the very least, we get a 360 degree view of the final product.

Saurox

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 25, 2017, 10:50:53 PM
What's wrong with the 'godawful youtube review pages people keep spamming this thread with'? At the very least, we get a 360 degree view of the final product.

You mean apart from being god awful? At the end of the day it's shameful self promotion in much the same vain that acro guy just got accused of being. It's deplorable to pardon one and condemn the other for the same thing.

If you want to see a 360 degree view of a product (which is ofc fair enough) do a YouTube search. :)

Reptilia

But it's not self promotion, I posted a lot of YouTube reviews over here but I'm not a youtuber. It would be self promotion if the people who run the channels came here to post their reviews, but as far as I know Victoria, for example, which I know has a channel and is a member here, never posted any of her videos. So where's the shameless self promotion you're talking about?

Saurox

Quote from: Reptilia on August 25, 2017, 11:29:03 PM
But it's not self promotion, I posted a lot of YouTube reviews over here but I'm not a youtuber. It would be self promotion if the people who run the channels came here to post their reviews, but as far as I know Victoria, for example, which I know has a channel and is a member here, never posted any of her videos. So where's the shameless self promotion you're talking about?

Reptilia, you appear to be under the false idea that I'm referring to you sharing other peoples videos (whose overall quality can't be questioned).  I'm actually referring to a member who use to spam the Papo board with random YouTube videos that appeared to be filmed in their back garden, littered with unintelligible memes etc..

But on the point of 'self-promotion' there are still a lot of members who still have thread- attachments featuring links to their eBay shops, photo collections etc, and I was simply defending one member who just wanted to share a link to their work.

If it's ok for members to have their pages attached to their widgets, it's barely harmful for someone to publish one post about their work, so long as they don't repeatedly spam the page with it.

Reptilia

Oh fine, sorry. I didn't understand what you were referring with self promotion, but now I got it.

Saurox

Quote from: Reptilia on August 26, 2017, 12:58:55 AM
Oh fine, sorry. I didn't understand what you were referring with self promotion, but now I got it.

No worries,  ^-^

hao_bao

That cave bear might be up there with the Tylosaurus as my least favourite Papo figure from the prehistoric line. It's utterly hideous and I was so looking forward to extending my Ice Age diorama behind the vanilla mammoth and smilodon setup.

Dyscrasia

Papo Special Edition Gift Box Papo Juvenile Spinosaurus and Ceratosaurus

Available through Everything Dinosaur.
https://www.everythingdinosaur.com/product/papo-t-rex-and-oviraptor-gift-box-copy/#iLightbox

Flaffy

What a pleasant surprise! Time to wait until it's sold on it's own  ;)
I don't usually buy intentionally inaccurate figures, but this little spinosaurus is so darn cute!

Shonisaurus

Although I already bought in the day the ceratosaurus I bought the box by the breeding of spinosaurus in the style of Jurassic Park to everythingdinosaur. The ceratosaurus will make one of my nieces granddaughters happy. Thank you for the valuable information.  :)

suspsy

That's an ugly-looking Spinosaurus, just like its parent.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on September 19, 2017, 07:41:41 PM
That's an ugly-looking Spinosaurus, just like its parent.

It is not properly a spinosaurus as one would like, but you have to recognize that it is very well finished like all Papo figures. My eagerness for collecting has led me to buy this exclusive Papo 2017. Although I sincerely prefer from the scientific point of view the Collecta and Safari 2018 perhaps?

MLMjp

That juvenile spine looks like a photoshopped version of the adult. Look at the lower jaw, it looks inconsistent with the rest of the body. It made me thought that it was fake.

Easy pass, not even to use it as a spinosaurus relative.

Shonisaurus

I know that it is not really a beauty that spinosaurus but I like it sincerely and besides that I am a collector. That is not to say that it does not give reason to the members of the forum. It does not stop being a spinosaurus Papo in the style of Jurassic Park with few anatomical differences with respect to the adult. But it must be admitted that the Papo figures are very detailed and even if they are not scientific, it is necessary to recognize in my case that an amateur collector like me (even if he is an admirer of one hundred percent of scientific figures) tempts me to buy it. I've done).

If I had the space and money I would buy other models like the resin ones but those are very expensive, regardless of whether I still buy PVC figures. But the quality is in the figures of resin and although there are dinosaurs of PVC quite well made and that are worthy of collector, they do not stop being all those figures of toy destined to the education of children mainly and this I comment it without the intention to offend to nobody from the members of the forum and this exceptional website that many good memories I have and will have for the rest of my days.

Of course Papo from the scientific point is not Collecta or Safari to put two examples. I am aware of this, but what I said I like their figures and that is why in my case I have ordered them.

Reptilia

Wow! I wasn't expecting Papo to release a new sculpt in their traditional gift box, I was thinking more to another repaint, especially cause this year we already got seven new models in the line. Pretty sure it'll be part of the 2018 batch as a standalone, but since I still haven't got the Ceratosaurus this two-pack will do for me! I like the idea of a juvenile version of an old classic, it's the first proper sub adult from Papo, cause the Apatosaurus doesn't actually look like a young specimen, and doesn't have an adult counterpart anyway. And I like the fact that they had an original idea still sticking to the JP universe, well done!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on September 20, 2017, 02:44:31 AM
Wow! I wasn't expecting Papo to release a new sculpt in their traditional gift box, I was thinking more to another repaint, especially cause this year we already got seven new models in the line. Pretty sure it'll be part of the 2018 batch as a standalone, but since I still haven't got the Ceratosaurus this two-pack will do for me! I like the idea of a juvenile version of an old classic, it's the first proper sub adult from Papo, cause the Apatosaurus doesn't actually look like a young specimen, and doesn't have an adult counterpart anyway. And I like the fact that they had an original idea still sticking to the JP universe, well done!

Totally agree. Thankfully, I too did not pick up the Ceratosaurus...so this two-pack works for me  :)
The head is very reminiscent of a juvenile crocodile.

Reptilia

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 20, 2017, 04:52:07 AM
The head is very reminiscent of a juvenile crocodile.

You're right, and it makes a lot of sense. JP Spinosaurus is very crocodilian, instead of making a smaller copy of the head they kind of adapted the level of growth using crocodiles as reference. Cool.

Silvanusaurus

That juvenile makes me feel physically uncomfortable.

Reptilia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsWcw6G7NAQ

I love this bear, much more detailed than one would assume by pictures.

Roselaar

A pleasant surprise. It may not be the best Spinosaur figure, but it's still fairly cute. I hope it will see a separate release, but I might give into this temptation before it does.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: