News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpartanSquat

Do you think they retired the rhino for not beign appeal for kids? I hope they wont go for that direction. I hope they wont change the dinosaurs for that route...

Reptilia

I don't see how this bear would be more evil-looking than other Papo figures, all of their theropods have such look, it is Papo's stylistic choice. The woolly rhino and mammoth have plain black eyes, much like most Collecta figures, and they are exceptions in the Papo range, but for example the first Smilodon already had a stylized evil-looking expression. I also don't understand why this one should be less detailed than the woolly rhino, to me the detail on both looks ok. You can't compare the level of detail with that of dinosaurs, there's less detail to bring out on a furry bear than on a scaly dinosaur. And then the sculptor is likely to be different, not the one responsible for the dinosaurs and pterosaurs. The only annoying thing for me is that 3D print texturing, I hope that it'll be fixed with future runs, but I'm not that confident about it.

yankeetrex

Just got the Cryo, man its beautiful, couldn't believe the detail level, especially in the teeth.

suspsy

Quote from: Simon on August 09, 2017, 07:01:53 PM
i don't know why all of these toy companies all keep making "cave bears" that all basically just look like - well, BEARS. 

They should be making the Short-Faced Bear, which was not only the largest bear ever, but completely different in appearance than today's bears. Isn't the main attaraction of prehistoric creatures supposed to be their weirdness of appearance?

Just my 2 cents worth ...

With you 100% on that one. Arctodus or Arctotherium would mop the floor with a cave bear. I've expressed that sentiment to CollectA in the past; hopefully they'll deliver sometime in the future. Or heck, perhaps Doug Watson would care to bestow one upon us! ;)
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Papo ursus spelaeus for me is a bit loose, it is little finished, but it is less cartoonish than the Schleich brand.

On the other hand as regards comments from members of the forum who lament the disappearance of the woolly rhinoceros (coelodonta antiquitatis) true that is a great loss for any collector but I sincerely liked the other woolly rhinoceros of the company Bullyland more often but more realistic And better finished.

But it is true what is said about the cave bear, it seems made by a 3D printer sincerely although I will buy it when I get to the Store of the Museum of Natural Sciences of Madrid is a rather weak figure I repeat. It seems that in the realization dinosaurs and prehistoric animals differ the sculptors. That is, some figures are made by different sculptors.

To me for example I would like a smilodon fatalis or smilodon populator of Papo (without scale) of the same creative genius that the felines to which we have accustomed that genial company. Sincerely I expected a good smilodon from Papo knowing their lions, tigers, leopards or cheetahs to give examples, but my disappointment was great when they made the first smilodon and increased with the next delivery (this year), sincerely in mammals Prehistoric far surpasses the company Collecta and followed very closely the Safari company although sinceramente today for today I like more the prehistoric mammals of Collecta.

Irritation

I honestly don't care if it was 3d printed, I think it looks good. Just be lucky we're getting cave bears. But the smilodon.......Not a smilodon. More like a saber-toothed cave lion or a saber-toothed liger.

Reptilia

I do think too that the new Smilodon would have worked better as a cave lion, the sculpt would have needed just shorter fangs and a longer tail. I honestly don't understand why Papo choose to make of it another Smilodon, but you can always pretend that it is another genus of saber-toothed cat instead.

Reptilia

A couple more pictures from Everything Dinosaur blog review. It looks more bulky and powerful than a simple bear figure, I like it more and more.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Irritation on August 17, 2017, 08:22:36 PM
I honestly don't care if it was 3d printed, I think it looks good. Just be lucky we're getting cave bears. But the smilodon.......Not a smilodon. More like a saber-toothed cave lion or a saber-toothed liger.
I have nothing against it being 3D printed, it's that they didn't fix it up well enough afterwards, you can see the step lines for goodness sake! Half of my actual prints don't have lines that visible.

terrorchicken

its so Disney.  It looks like Kenai from Brother Bear on steroids.  :))

CityRaptor

Oh my, you are right:

Maybe he took them so he can kill all the bears.

Good thing I don't collect mammals.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

yankeetrex

Found this on Facebook at a Mexican toy expo i believe. The Dimorphodon is bigger then I thought.

Reptilia

Wow, finally! And it looks great, so JW. Glad I didn't get the Rebor's male, definitely don't need more than one model for this genus.

terrorchicken

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 18, 2017, 09:05:21 PM
Oh my, you are right:

Maybe he took them so he can kill all the bears.

Good thing I don't collect mammals.

lol nice gif! I think they were watching the move while sculpting this thing.
Unfortunately I do collect mammals and Ive been wanting a cave bear real bad. Now that they're making extinct mammals again Im gonna wait to see if Safari makes their own version, and there's always Collecta.

suspsy

Eesh. I like it even less now.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

The dimorphodon although more bulky than I thought I see it a little strange his physical position does not convince me, it is a little unreal to me.

Anyway, it's a photograph. I can not judge without seeing it more closely.

Reptilia

I generally don't like pterosaurs with open wings, but here Papo kind of avoided the bland flying pose their Pteranodon had. The position of both legs and tail, plus the articulated jaw, give the figure an original appearence. It reminds me the Dimorphodons in the scene where the Indominus roars to them after invading the aviary.

Acro's comics

:(

Rathalosaurus

Are you sure that this is the right place for such a post?
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Saurox

Quote from: Acrofans Dinorama on August 24, 2017, 11:53:25 PM
Parts 4 and 5 are now available on Facebook and DeviantArt.

https://www.facebook.com/Acroscomics/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

https://acrofan.deviantart.com/

Looks pretty cool, dude but maybe look at posting in the art part of the forum  :)

Quote from: Rathalosaurus on August 25, 2017, 10:27:47 AM
Are you sure that this is the right place for such a post?

At least it's not another one of those godawful youtube review pages people keep spamming this thread with  ::)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.