News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on December 17, 2016, 05:54:19 PM
Why do people not like Purple so much? I'd say it's easily one of my top 10 colours.
It's probably due to the fact that Barney the Dinosaur is also purple...

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on December 17, 2016, 05:10:18 PM
Yeah, what's up with purple dinosaurs these days? The Schleich Spinosaurus and Kentrosaurus

Schleich had purple before, in form of their old small Triceratops and an "Exclusive" version of the small Allosaurus.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Moodyraptor

I don't mind the shade of purple Papo uses at all, it's a very subtle, naturalistic shade, and Papo paint jobs always look better in the flesh than in photographs.  My only objection to the acro's colour scheme is to agree it's too similar to the rainbow rex and raptor, so I'll probably pass on it for that reason. 

The Dimorphodon is a horror, and I say that as someone who usually likes Papo's JP-alikes.  It looks like the wrong head has been grafted onto the model.  A shame, because I like the colour scheme on its head and tail. 

I like the bright colour scheme on the ceratosaurus but apart from that the model does nothing special for me.

I like the cryo best, and that'll probably be the one I get.  The upright pose looks natural - like it's rearing up, not like it walks like that all the time, and I like the colours and the details on the head. 

Shame we don't get an iguanadon, I was looking forward to seeing it, but maybe next year.  Also still hoping for a raptor repaint...

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on December 17, 2016, 05:54:19 PM
Why do people not like Purple so much? I'd say it's easily one of my top 10 colours. It depends how it's used of course, though I think it looks better on this Acro than it did on the rex and raptor.

I never said I didn't like it, just that it is a strange choice because purple is a rare color in nature.

Saurox

Loving all of the new stuff. Arguably some of their very best. ;D

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: utd7 on December 17, 2016, 06:05:35 PM
Wow really impressed with these new releases. Man have I been waiting for a decent Cryolophosaurus for a real long time and even though the pose is weird i will buy it. Also really like the ceratosaurus but the acro's colour really puts me off. Shame cause I love the sculpt and pose but prob won't buy. Dimorphodon is a JW copy but a good one at that and will look good with the Tupuxuara.

My big question is what happened to the iguanadon they planned ? Come on man no love for herbivores?

Maybe they are compensating for CollectA's theropodless line up next year?

The Atroxious

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on December 17, 2016, 08:04:30 PM
Maybe they are compensating for CollectA's theropodless line up next year?

CollectA's lineup isn't devoid of theropods. You forget the Deinocheirus. Unless you don't count upscaled re-releases as an official part of the lineup, but that's a different issue altogether.

terrorchicken

finally Papo is making prehistoric mammals again! that said, the smilodon is hideous! But Ill get the cave bear b/c its the best one out right now (the Schleich one is too hard to find/expensive.)
I like the new theropods. Not crazy about cryo's stance or how short chested cerato is though.
The dimorphodon is ok if you want a JP dimorpho with a broken tail.

Simon

The cave bear is a bit of a cop-out because of its similarity to the living brown bear ("Grizzly").

The much nastier and larger Short-Faced Bear is the one they should have made ...

(I have to chuckle every time I see one of these "New from XYZ Company" threads - because if I was still collecting small PVC figures, I would have the shelves on every wall in the house filled up, what with the proliferation of new companies and the ramping up of quality across-the-board with almost all of them.  All I can say is - ENJOY the fun folks!!! You're seeing a "Golden Age" of dino-collecting)

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 17, 2016, 10:46:59 AM
Quote from: Rathalosaurus on December 17, 2016, 10:30:37 AM
I really like the Theropods this year. About the inaccuracy issue - do you see humans with an exact human skeleton build like the skeleton we see in classrooms? Do you? No. People are different, have bigger noses, larger arms or hands, etc. than others. If that's the case for people and most animals - why shouldn't it be the case for dinosaurs? I see it like that.

I totally agree with you. I think I exceeded the comments about my opinions about the dinosaurs of Papo that are still ferocious and even unjust and that I transfer to the rest of figures of toy dinosaurs.

They are still toys intended exclusively for children. If you do not want to buy for their scientific inaccuracies there are magnificent realistic figures of resins like Sideshow among other companies (if you obviously have money and space). On the other hand, every living being is imperfect, but in my case, I greatly appreciate that a toy, even if it is only intended for a child (although there are also adult collectors, as in my case) are scientifically accurate.

To apologize to the members of the forum and to Papo, I have to admit that their figures are very detailed until the last millimeter of the figure bordering on hyperrealism although that does not mean that they are scientific.

On the other hand there are many criticisms regarding the acrocanthosaurus but from my humble point of view I do not think bad figure and as far as the colors, Papo stands out to realize its figures with very bright colors, on the other hand the rainbow tyrannosaurus whose two versions Standing on the two legs and tripod (exclusive) I have on my shelves differ in their coloration with respect to the commented acrocanthosarus, the latter has brighter colors, while the rainbow tyrannosaurus is darker.

On the other hand it is thanks to Papo that they have released many figures of dinosaurs and the most important of two prehistoric mammals whose figures are very rare in the toy market.

On the other hand, with respect to my fierce criticisms, I have to retract myself when comparing the real figures with the prototype.

First of all I apologize to the members of the forum with my unfortunate words but I can not be a hypocrite and a liar and I simply say I comment my sincere impressions on the new figures of prehistoric animals of Papo. But I sincerely expected a prehistoric Papo animal compared to the genius of other figures of the same collection as were the dimetrodon, tupuxuara, carnotaurus, pachyrhinosaurus, styracosaurus or juvenile apatosaurus.

First of all, I would like to reiterate my sincere apologies if anyone in the forum has bothered and offended me. Surely my opinion has not been adequate.

You know? I 100% agree. I used to be this forum's biggest Papo hater until I began allowing them to arrive to my home. I'd say that half of my Papos came to me free of charge via presents or otherwise. Once I assembled half a collection I began actively hunting for them, but they are just hyperrealistic Jurassic Park clones. The figures mentioned in the second to last paragraph truly were the best ones. The rest cause me to turn my head sideways like a confused puppy and giggle a little bit (the Pteranodon belongs in a fire...).

I'm glad someone brought up the fact that the Smilodon is really horrible. I giggled when I saw it.

I actually like the rainbow colors on the T.rex, raptor and Acro, though. It's like an ice-cream flavored dino!

Patrx

Welcome to the forum, Charlie 2.0! I sincerely hope you didn't join just to start an argument.

I can't speak for everyone, but us moderators are a little more bothered by members being rude to one another than we are by folks being rude about toys, no matter the brand. That said, some brands are more popular than others around here, so you're bound to run into double standards once in awhile - nothing to be concerned about.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Charlie 2.0 on December 17, 2016, 10:24:43 PM
Sorry to pop up and tell you so guys, but in this thread people used words like "horrible", "hideous" and "awful", regarding Papo new figures. Had I used the same terms for Battat figures, or worse for some Safari sculpted by Doug Watson, I would have been eaten alive for being insulting and irrespectful. This is hypocrisy at its best.

Subjective opinion is allowed on the forum, both positive and negative, and for any and all dinosaur toys. No mountains out of molehills please. There is no need for anyone else to respond to this, thanks. Now, back on topic, please. C:-)

Edit - Patrx beat me too it. I ended up simply echoing his sentiments :)

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Charlie 2.0 on December 17, 2016, 10:24:43 PM
Sorry to pop up and tell you so guys, but in this thread people used words like "horrible", "hideous" and "awful", regarding Papo new figures. Had I used the same terms for Battat figures, or worse for some Safari sculpted by Doug Watson, I would have been eaten alive for being insulting and irrespectful. This is hypocrisy at its best.

The Papo sculpter isn't here to read our criticisms, so we can say what we want without offending anyone. Calling Safari "horrible", "hideous", and "awful" is really disrespectful to Doug because of how big a part he is in this community and I hope I don't need to explain why you shouldn't disrespect Battat.

EDIT: Whoops, probably should have read the nexts comments before commenting myself...

Killekor

Welcome to the forum!, Charlie 2.0!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Charlie 2.0 on December 17, 2016, 10:49:48 PM
To answer to both moderators: no, I didn't join to start an argument, only to voice my opinion. So it is perfectly ok to use such terms? Just to know, if I'd ever need to use them I would love not to be called insulting or irrespectful. Just this.

And no, sorry, but the fact that Papo sculptor isn't a registered user here does not allow people to use offensive terminology, unless we accept it for every brand because we think that words like "horrible" or "hideous" express personal opinions. Otherwise it would be a double standard.

As I said, perfectly fine. Nobody has ever been banned or reprimanded for voicing their opinion about a figure - it doesn't break any rules. That's all. Back on topic now. Ignoring mod requests is against the rules. Thanks for your understanding. C:-)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Charlie 2.0 on December 17, 2016, 11:07:52 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 17, 2016, 10:54:55 PM
As I said, perfectly fine. Nobody has ever been banned or reprimanded for voicing their opinion about a figure - it doesn't break any rules.

Good to know, thank you.

Back on topic I would underline that there's a gap in the catalog numbers between Dimorphodon (55063) and Cave bear (55066). There have been gaps in Papo catalog previously, but never between figures of the same year/wave, so it's a fair guess to say that there could be a couple more figures to fill this gap, especially cause - as it's been already pointed out - this is a leak and not the official info release by the company. We'll know in a couple of days though.

Well spotted - it will be interesting to see if there's any significance to that!

My thoughts on the new Papos. Exciting line up! Far more numerous than I anticipated. They are typically 'Papo', beautifully sculpted, incredible detailed, but not hugely accurate. I do like their style and I wouldn't want it any other way, diversity is the spice of...dinosaur toys. ;)

EmperorDinobot

Unless you're that mammal, Smilodon *giggles and runs away*

John

...I would underline that there's a gap in the catalog numbers between Dimorphodon (55063) and Cave bear (55066). There have been gaps in Papo catalog previously, but never between figures of the same year/wave, so it's a fair guess to say that there could be a couple more figures to fill this gap, especially cause - as it's been already pointed out - this is a leak and not the official info release by the company. We'll know in a couple of days though.
I'm not sure how true this is ,but I keep seeing the names Iguanodon and Giganotosaurus mentioned as having been in the works.Maybe they are what the potentially missing two product numbers belong to?
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Saurox

Quote from: John on December 17, 2016, 11:25:55 PM

...I would underline that there's a gap in the catalog numbers between Dimorphodon (55063) and Cave bear (55066). There have been gaps in Papo catalog previously, but never between figures of the same year/wave, so it's a fair guess to say that there could be a couple more figures to fill this gap, especially cause - as it's been already pointed out - this is a leak and not the official info release by the company. We'll know in a couple of days though.
I'm not sure how true this is ,but I keep seeing the names Iguanodon and Giganotosaurus mentioned as having been in the works.Maybe they are what the potentially missing two product numbers belong to?

Or repaint she of existing figures. Papo do like to produce a few.

Sim

I was on the Creative Beast Studio Facebook page and in a comment someone shared this photo:

I believe that image is from the video below.  I barely watched any of it, so I don't know most of what's said in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1PkMbjYlJg

John

Quote from: Charlie 2.0 on December 17, 2016, 11:40:49 PM
Quote from: Sentry on December 17, 2016, 11:31:13 PM
Quote from: John on December 17, 2016, 11:25:55 PM

Or repaint she of existing figures. Papo do like to produce a few.

Giganotosaurus seems unlikely, given we already have three theropods in the line, with the Acrocanthosaurus to play the main role. Iguanodon and another herbivore would complete the line up perfectly, but I agree that if my guess about two more figures is right the possibility of repaints is very likely. I'll hold my opinions on new Papos up until the official disclosure, we'll see how many they will be.
The picture in the post directly above this one proves you both right about them being repaints.They are specifically the two from last year that were exclusives in boxed sets,Velociraptor and Oviraptor.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.