News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do you like movable jaws in dinosaurs and prehistoric animal toys?

Started by Shonisaurus, December 03, 2016, 12:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

I am a big fan and collector of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals. Almost all stores have figures mostly of carnivores with articulated jaws.

I am a lover in addition to that of art and I do not find it very aesthetic that prehistoric animals, except for very young children, make figures with jaws and articulated limbs. I like dinosaurs made from one piece from my humble opinion.

Apart from that said figures are given of themselves such joints and collectors are forced to leave them (at least in my case with closed jaws).

I am not very supportive of that although I know that many members of the forum (certainly the vast majority) are in favor of it. But poor otherwise would not it be better for dinosaur and animal companies to make prehistoric figures of dinosaurs both deluxe and supreme deluxe, ie Papo, Collecta or Schleich for putting three examples with the two variants the same figures with jaws articulated and without Articulated jaws? That would be a Solomonic solution.

Silvanusaurus

I like having an articulated jaw not because i can open it, but the opposite; so I can keept it closed. To me, I just don't find the jaws agape look to be appealing aesthetically and would never choose it; I'd much rather have articulated jaws than only big wide open mouths that can never be closed. Alternatively, have no articulated jaw and just sculpt it closed. But I understand that some people like open mouths too, and I wouldn't want to take that away from them. So I think the variety of options we have now are fine. Just that. Fine. Papo seems to do a very good job of integrating it into the sculpt, but CollectA don't appear to have figured it out yet; all the examples I've seen from them have looked awkward.
And why is it only carnivores that ever get articulated mouths?

Jose S.M.

I would like to see a ceratopsian or another herbivore with an articulated jaw (hopefully not very noticeable seam) for change. I like them more with the mouth either closer or slightly opened, too widely opened mouths makes me feel like they are in panic all the time.

Shonisaurus

Although I am not in favor of the question of aesthetics to make articulated jaws to dinosaurs (but it must be acknowledged that the client is mostly the one who likes it or not) the articulated jaws is what is worn. If they make dinosaurs with articulated jaws my biggest wish is that they can be kept as long as possible (especially for collectors who are careful) with open or closed jaws (I prefer open ones in most cases).

On the other hand what I said by the forum member Joe289 I really like that the seams are very noticeable. That would be great.

On the other hand the ceratopsians have narrower and smaller jaws so I would leave them in this case closed, that yes the seams would be noticed less than in the prehistoric carnivores.

DinoToyForum

In the title: "movable gags"? Did you mean "legs"?

Neosodon

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on December 03, 2016, 02:08:14 PM
I like having an articulated jaw not because i can open it, but the opposite; so I can keept it closed. To me, I just don't find the jaws agape look to be appealing aesthetically and would never choose it; I'd much rather have articulated jaws than only big wide open mouths that can never be closed. Alternatively, have no articulated jaw and just sculpt it closed. But I understand that some people like open mouths too, and I wouldn't want to take that away from them. So I think the variety of options we have now are fine. Just that. Fine. Papo seems to do a very good job of integrating it into the sculpt, but CollectA don't appear to have figured it out yet; all the examples I've seen from them have looked awkward.
And why is it only carnivores that ever get articulated mouths?
Although papo does a pretty good job at it, it's impossible to have a opening and closing jaw without any crack unless its made out of super flexible rubber or something. Having a closed jaw looks more natural so I almost agree with you but I like to be able to see the teeth as that's the most striking feature of carnivorous dinosaurs.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Shonisaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 03, 2016, 03:47:48 PM

Excuse me administrator I have expressed poorly I mean mobile jaws.

On the other hand according to nesodon I like theropod dinosaurs with open jaws and I usually have these figures with jaws articulated with the mouth always open is more beautiful from my humble point of view a theropod with the jaw open than with the jaw closed.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 03, 2016, 05:58:17 PM

On the other hand according to nesodon I like theropod dinosaurs with open jaws and I usually have these figures with jaws articulated with the mouth always open is more beautiful from my humble point of view a theropod with the jaw open than with the jaw closed.

Okay. :) I'll reword the thread title, if that's okay?

AcroSauroTaurus

I like articulated jaws, when its done good. It also gives you variety in displaying and in dioramas.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Killekor

Quote from: Joe289 on December 03, 2016, 03:03:17 PM
I would like to see a ceratopsian or another herbivore with an articulated jaw (hopefully not very noticeable seam) for change.

I Will like this too. Probably next year David Silva Will do the Beasts of the mesozoic ceratopsian series, where certainly
The models Will have movable jaw, and more (if the series Will be like the Raptor series)...

Predasaurskillekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Shonisaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 03, 2016, 06:04:44 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 03, 2016, 05:58:17 PM

Okay. :) I'll reword the thread title, if that's okay?
I totally agree, administrator reformulates the thread title.

ceratopsian

I prefer jaws to be non-moveable.  This is because I don't like to see the inevitable seam where the articulation happens.  That said, I will buy models/toys with articulated jaws - but my eye is always drawn to that joining point.  I can also see the benefit of being able to close a theropod's jaws - it's good to have a change from the open-wide gape!

Faelrin

I like articulation in my figures, which is why I splurged so much on BotM. Granted I have a history of growing up with Kenner's Jurassic Park toys, and other action figures, so it's also what I'm used to. Plus I like to fiddle around with my figures every once in a while, and some articulation is nice for that. My comfort zone I suppose.

However I understand that there's a niche for each product and not everything needs articulation of some sort, jaw or otherwise, to be a good figure. While I naturally prefer articulation, I would have no qualms with supporting a good figure without it, such as the new Safari Feathered Tyrannosaurus. The Safari Ammonite would be a good example of a figure that I don't think needs articulation at all due to what type of animal it is, as well.

There's also the issue of if the articulation was implemented poorly (obvious joints and seams for example), which could take away from an otherwise good sculpt, and make it look less natural.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Patrx

Having the option of a closed mouth is always nice, but I'm not big on articulation of any kind - real animals don't have visible seams or joints like that. Except for arthropods, I guess!

stargatedalek

It doesn't often work, but when articulation does work, it tends to represent a significant improvement. CollectA Guidraco for example just wouldn't be the same without the articulated jaw, it's fairly subtle when you see it in person and it adds a lot to the piece.

spinosaurus1

it really depends for me. i personally perfer non- moving jaws and i really don't mind whether or not the jaws would be open or closed. both are natural actions that the animals being depicted could of done at some point in it's lifetime. hat plus open mouth figures offer a glorious view of the animals dentition.

as for articulated jaws. thats a tough call. i can agree that articulated jaws in a figure lacks a certain finesse that a solid figure does, but i would not go as far as saying it's a young child gimmick and i'll be willing to argue that there is a real aesthetic property to figures that manage to execute it properly. while majority of figures are pretty lack luster, such as collectA or schleich, some figures have successfully integrated movable jaws to the sculpt with great success. a prime example would be the papo kaprosuchus. a stellar figure that incorporates a near seamless jaw articulation with an amazing body sculpt, allowing you to get a full view of that remarkable jaw pallet, while at the same time admire the predator with it's jaws closed. in doing so, i'm honestly struck in awe by how well they have manage to conceal the seams. this is an figure with an articulating jaw done right.

theres also an artistic purpose. i often do use figures to help create drawings in various poses and perspectives. theirs so much going on with the contours of an animals head in a pose and the  differences between an open mouth and close mouth can be quite radical when placed at certain angles. articulated figures are perfect for this. i use to use pipe cleaners to create crude references and used in getting certain perspectives looking correct, but the thought of an articulated figure was always been a thought in my mind. sed reason is why i cannot wait to get my hand on the botm velociraptor and saurornitholestes. these gorgeous figures combine the perfect blend of wonderful sculpting and a wide range of articulation. even with visible seams, theres something incredibly pleasing in just looking at these figures. everything from the sculpt to the gorgeous coloration and various steps taken to make sure the seams aren't too prominent in the sculpt. thers something about the idea that owning a fantasticlly sculpted figure that can double up as a articulated reference for creating illustrations and sketches that just manages to place a grin on my face.

all in all, i do prefer solid figures, and i agree that most toy companies do give a lack luster treatment to the addition, but i would not go nearly as far as say that there is nothing aesthetic about figures that manage to combine an excellent sculpt and articulation that corresponds well with the model. this of course, is my opinion

Halichoeres

I also prefer figures without articulation, but being able to close the mouth is a definite silver lining. An entire shelf full of animals with mouths agape gives the impression that all the oxygen has just been flushed from the room.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bucklander

What I feel has been very well expressed by others on this page, so I'm only repeating what seems a popular opinion, but...   I would rather no articulation if figure is sculpted with closed mouth. Otherwise, I prefer articulation so I can close the mouth.

Lanthanotus

I do not have any aversions against movable jaws as long as they are done in a fair quality (as Papo does for example) which means for me: only a slight visible seam, correctly sculpted connecting tissues, jaws closing shut. I am also a big supporter of lips in dinosaurs, but as of yet only papo seems to manage those on their Velociraptors (old and new). I'll also probably get that new WS feathered rex, but am highly tempted to sculpt lips to it.

Uncle Rex

I like figures with articulated jaws for the added variety they give to posing the animals. I agree that Papo executes this very well.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: