You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Wild Safari Iguanodon wins award (Prehistoric Times 2016 figure of the year)

Started by Reptilia, January 17, 2017, 01:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on January 18, 2017, 02:18:55 PM
And for what it's worth, I think your new Tyrannosaurus rex and Velociraptor figures are guaranteed to win first and second place this year (or vice versa). Nothing from any other company comes close to those two masterpieces.

One thing I have learned from the PT poll and the DTF polls is just because something is popular here doesn't guarantee a win in PT so I wouldn't at all be surprised if both pieces were shut out next year and I will except the decision with grace and wish the winner well if that is how it turns out.
Since you are familiar with CMN I thought I would share an experience from my early days that has shaped the way I hand out criticism. I don't think I have shared this here before but forgive me if I have. I was working on my first sculpting assignment at CMN, sculpting some Greylag Geese in miniature. Bird artist John Crosby was supervising me. When I thought I had something that was proud to show him I handed it over. At first John was telling me what a great job I had done but then he asked if he could make a couple changes. I said sure. He proceeded to kneed my sculpture like some dough for a pie. With my jaw on the floor within a few seconds I could see that he was getting a much better result with some rough shapes than I had done with painstaking care. I had gotten so tied up with the small details I had lost sight of the whole. Ever since that time whenever a young artist has shown me a piece I always mention the good points before I offer any criticism. Plus I always make sure that if I have a criticism I should also have a solution. Nothing drove me nuts more when someone in the museum wanting to show he or she knew something would say "I don't know what it is but I know something is wrong". If you are really knowledgeable you should be able to point out the mistake just like John otherwise keep it to yourself until you figure it out. At least that is the policy I have tried to live by. This story isn't pointed at anyone in particular here, it just came to my mind as I was thinking about critique in general.

Shonisaurus

Man I do not know what to vote next year Prehistoric Times but I figure with total certainty that one of the figures chosen as the best will be between yours or among the rest of Safari figures.

To me without belonging to the Safari company (for me the best in the world today) followed by Collecta very closely I have to admit that I also hurt a lot the criticisms that have been made towards the dinosaur figures of this company and in particular To those of this year. I respect as it is obvious and natural all the opinions but being sincere this year Safari has risen again with the scepter and that has just begun the year. His 2017 figures are all fabulous. Another thing is what users of Prehistoric Times vote for.

I like his figures very much and I am very happy to have the 13 exceptional figures. On the other hand I thank Doug Watson for mentioning me among many others as one of the members of the forum who has defended that his work has been rewarded, but it is the reality. The truth and truth is that they do not win several prizes in a row (they are already five victories in a row, taking into account the prize shared last year with Collecta's spinosaurus) by mere chance they win for the excellence of the work, and I recognize Within my ignorance about paleontology that Doug Watson is today the best paleoartist.

I understand that a potential successor to Safari for 2017 is the tyrannosaurus rex feathered and the velociraptor as already noted above.  :)

suspsy

No, I hadn't heard that one before, that's a very interesting tale. It must have been very hard for you at first to see John reshaping your art that way, even if it was for the right reasons.

I actually can see the T. rex not winning first place, as I know there are a lot of old timers who subscribe to the PT and haven't embraced the concept of a tyrant king with feathers, but one would have to be wholly ignorant of current science to not embrace the Velociraptor. For that matter, the Coelophysis and the Psittacosaurus could prove to be dark horses.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Roselaar

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 18, 2017, 12:35:42 AM
Quote from: Roselaar on January 17, 2017, 08:37:03 PM
I don't agree with this choice. It's a fine figure, but 2016 offered so much more daring stuff (Beishanlong, Huanghetitan, Glyphoderma and what not). In comparison, this Iguanodon is just kinda... bland. No offence meant to Doug.

It's a perfect representation of a 'bland' animal. Edmontosaurus, Maiasaura, Mandschurosaurus and Shantungosaurus are all 'bland'. No decorative head crests, or crazy integuments. At least, the Iguano has spiked thumbs  :)

None of these animals are bland, they're dinosaurs. Plus, the Battat Maiasaura, Kaiyodo Shantungosaurus and PNSO Mandschurosaurus and Shantungosaurus are spectacular figures. But this Iguanodon...?

PNSO Nyctosaurus, Chungkingosaurus and Basilosaurus. The Colorata Feathered dinosaurs. The Favorite Exclusives. Jurassic World Dilophorex. Collecta Dead T-Rex. All superb figures that I cannot for the life of me imagine being ignored in favour of an Iguanodon with purple stripes. A fine Iguanodon, but nowhere near the level of teh above mentioned figures.

tanystropheus

It is the best mass market Iguanodon, and Iguanodon is regarded as having paleontological eminence due to the history involved (Megalosaurus, Camarasaurus and Archaeopteryx are also historical for similar reasons).

I have a feeling PNSO is too new to be considered in the list.

Personally, I wouldn't include the Fukui Dinosaur Museum series as Favorite doesn't appear to have confidence in their own product line. If they did, these dinosaur sets would have been released in the west (without hesitation)

Halichoeres

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 18, 2017, 06:40:01 PM
It is the best mass market Iguanodon, and Iguanodon is regarded as having paleontological eminence due to the history involved (Megalosaurus, Camarasaurus and Archaeopteryx are also historical for similar reasons).

I have a feeling PNSO is too new to be considered in the list.

Personally, I wouldn't include the Fukui Dinosaur Museum series as Favorite doesn't appear to have confidence in their own product line. If they did, these dinosaur sets would have been released in the west (without hesitation)

I think you're on to something. The fact that we have gone so long without a really good update to one of the most iconic dinosaurs out there probably contributed to the Safari Iguanodon's popularity with PT readers, who I am guessing skew slightly older than forum users. We have our own polls, which is where I think it is appropriate to litigate our own preferences for best figure of 2016.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 18, 2017, 07:25:11 PM
PT readers, who I am guessing skew slightly older than forum users.

Ah, so they're dinosaurs themselves, then. :)

Neosodon

Safari Shunosaurus was my favorite dinosaur of 2016 for personal preference but I still think that Iguanadon was the best sculpted and most realistic dinosaur of 2016 and deserved to win. I'll just assume Shunosaurus came in second. :)

I predict either Diplodacus or Giganotasaurus will win in 2017. Allot of people aren't into feathered dinos and the ones that are will have their votes split between the Veoliciraptor and the T Rex. The Giga will get the most votes from therapod fans because the better pose with the base and its the only scaly therapod. The Diplodacus is the biggest, most colorful and striking of the herbivores. Collecta's 2017 models look good but none of them look quite good enough to compete with safari's.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Gwangi

I don't have the Iguanodon yet but I've seen it in person and it's a fantastic model. I'll get it soon for sure as the next best IMO would have to be the Carnegie which is certainly showing its age. I love that Doug's Iguanodon won figure of the year. Contenders by Papo, PNSO, and CollectA all have some kind of flaw that stands out. The Papo Kaprosuchus gets a lot wrong with the dentition. The models from PNSO while visually stunning all suffer from visible seams, shrink-wrapping, anatomical flaws, warping etc. etc. CollectA's Beishanlong continues the unfortunate trend of featherless hands. That's not to say these are bad models, but these are factors that need to be taken into account.

The Safari Iguanodon is both well crafted, and accurate. The most accurate Iguanodon to date I believe. It represents an important but sadly unpopular genus, and finally does that genus justice. It might not be as exciting or flashy as some of the other 2016 releases but I see nothing about it that should prevent it from winning, which makes it a winner in my book. Congrats Doug!

Reptilia

Quote from: Neosodon on January 18, 2017, 09:33:12 PM
I predict either Diplodacus or Giganotasaurus will win in 2017. Allot of people aren't into feathered dinos and the ones that are will have their votes split between the Veoliciraptor and the T Rex. The Giga will get the most votes from therapod fans because the better pose with the base and its the only scaly therapod. The Diplodacus is the biggest, most colorful and striking of the herbivores. Collecta's 2017 models look good but none of them look quite good enough to compete with safari's.

If the WS Velociraptor doesn't get the prize for 2017, then for me the winner should be Collecta's Dimorphodon.

suspsy

Yeah, I'd say the CollectA Dimorphodon definitely has a good chance of winning.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ezikot

Doug Watson, congratulations on a well deserved award!
And thank you very much for your art!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Ezikot on January 19, 2017, 05:48:14 PM
Doug Watson, congratulations on a well deserved award!
And thank you very much for your art!

Love your avatar.

ceratopsian

I too send my congratulations to Doug.  Recognition for one's work is always pleasing.

Daspletodave

I think Favorite has every confidence in all their products. Just because they make limited edition sets for specific museums or exhibitions does not mean they lack confidence in these sets. The last 5 sets seem to have sold out and been a spectacular success.
If we are to believe your rather outlandish statement then Collecta must also lack confidence in their own products, since they are no longer available in North America.

Ezikot

Roselaar

Quote from: suspsy on January 19, 2017, 01:43:22 AM
Yeah, I'd say the CollectA Dimorphodon definitely has a good chance of winning.

I'm hoping for one of Beasts of the Mesozoic's various Raptors, they deserve a place in the spotlight. But maybe Kickstarter-campaign related figures are a tad too modern for the average PT reader. :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Daspletodave on January 19, 2017, 06:45:06 PM

I think Favorite has every confidence in all their products. Just because they make limited edition sets for specific museums or exhibitions does not mean they lack confidence in these sets. The last 5 sets seem to have sold out and been a spectacular success.
If we are to believe your rather outlandish statement then Collecta must also lack confidence in their own products, since they are no longer available in North America.

It's not outlandish. It's based on observations.

They haven't released a single obscure species in America or Europe. The reason? Favorite is playing it safe. Too safe.

Flaffy

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 19, 2017, 08:24:58 PM
Quote from: Daspletodave on January 19, 2017, 06:45:06 PM

It's not outlandish. It's based on observations.

They haven't released a single obscure species in America or Europe. The reason? Favorite is playing it safe. Too safe.
Japan is known for keeping the best for themselves, especially with their exclusives.

Killekor

Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: