News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

The sorry state of museum gift shops

Started by Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews), February 14, 2017, 05:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a real epidemic of crappy toys, even knock-offs, at museum gift shops lately? They even seem to be crowding Safari off of the shelves, and that's normally the one place you can guarantee you'll find that brand!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on February 14, 2017, 05:03:01 AM
Is it just me, or does there seem to be a real epidemic of crappy toys, even knock-offs, at museum gift shops lately? They even seem to be crowding Safari off of the shelves, and that's normally the one place you can guarantee you'll find that brand!

Yes, it's sad. This is mostly out of the hands of curators and education staff (I know because I am one). Commercial staff in museums pretty much do as they wish. Shoddy tat with high mark up value. The educational remit of most museums apparently ends at the gift shop...it really shouldn't.

SBell

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on February 14, 2017, 05:03:01 AM

Many museums are faced with three issues--space, time and budget. So they find a supplier that has enough of all the little things they need. Because people will buy whatever as long as it's somewhat related--and not too expensive.

Or they use museum-store companies. They determine the size of the store and the budget, and then create a plan based on the square footage. Sometimes without even considering the focus of the facility in question. This is usually where the cheap knockoffs come from--these companies only know that they need cheap dino toys. Quality and collectors, etc don't even factor in.

It's also why many stores kind of look the same. At least in the good old days, K&M/Wild Republic was a go to for natural history products. Not so much now (although WR kind of went dollar-store level anyway).

Pachyrhinosaurus

I was at the ANSP last weekend and unfortunately this holds true there. Even worse they were Papo knockoffs, and not exactly of their most accurate figures. Luckily there were some WS figures, but there was a rather limited selection.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoToyForum

I've split off the topic about museum gift shops into a new thread.  C:-)

Blade-of-the-Moon

I know when stocking our small gift shop I'm constantly faced with one key issue, do I stock the shop again or use the funds elsewhere on the Park itself.  It's tough because I need to put some back into it, but the cheaper I go I better.  Then it's not such a huge investment and I have product sitting on the shelves forever.  Those items may sell eventually but then the funds spent on them are tied up until they do and you never see a huge return at once,  say 100.00 = 200.00 ,  it's 100.00 spent, .25 here, 1.00 there, maybe 5.00 the next time.. but it is funds coming in.   This leads me to buying cheap chinasaurs that I can get a quicker sale out of and a better faster return.  I would love to carry Safari, CollectA, ect here..but the few times I have they sat around on a shelf forever before finally being bought.  These were pieces procured through trades of bought in lots not direct from the store so they averaged around 5-10.00 each. 

Space issues abound as well, our shop is roughly 8x12'  it's one reason I don't sell shirts..too many sizes to keep stocked at once.

Neosodon

Do museums sell games in gift shops these days? I've been working on a dinosaur game for years and I'm hoping to start getting it professionally developed this year. But I'm not really sure how to market it. I was thinking museum gift shops would be the most likely buyer.

If anyone would like to know about the game I can make a thread on it.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

BlueKrono

I have never seen a game in a museum shop, I'm afraid.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

stargatedalek

You could presumably sell Steam codes, I know ARK does it.

Though that would probably require significant capital.

Neosodon

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 15, 2017, 12:28:52 AM
You could presumably sell Steam codes, I know ARK does it.

Though that would probably require significant capital.

It's a board game.  ;)

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

CityRaptor

Steaming that would be rather complicated.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BlueKrono

At least until everyone gets a 3-D printer in their home.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CityRaptor

You mean 3-D. Although I guess 2-D could work if the whole game is made out of papercraft.
Oh no

Halichoeres

The gift shop at the museum I work at has a few board games. It's conceivable that they would stock a dinosaur-themed one. (I hasten to add that I would have zero influence on such a decision.)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ZoPteryx

And it's not just museums, it seems zoo and aquarium gift shops are suffering as well.  I noticed this last year at the San Diego Zoo, which used to have an excellent selection of Safari, Papo, and Schleich figures.  Now they've largely been crowded out by, not necessarily knock-offs, but very cheapy figures.

The book sections in these gift shops also seem to suffering a similar fate.  :(

tanystropheus

It would be nice if museums were set up like comic cons, with limited edition 'museum exclusive' and 'museum accurate' models. Also, signature booths with Booth and other artists.

CityRaptor

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 15, 2017, 05:56:39 AM
limited edition 'museum exclusive' and 'museum accurate' models.

So like some museums have.

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 15, 2017, 05:56:39 AM
It would be nice if museums were set up like comic cons. Also, signature booths with Booth and other artists.

That would probably a nightmare to organise.
Oh no

Libraraptor

can't we start an official petition, with DTF letterhead? would be a sign,  wouldn't it?

suspsy

The gift shop at CMN here in Ottawa has a Safari selection you could count on one hand. Ten or so years ago, it was brimming with Safari and Papo. :(

And the ROM in Toronto now sells knockoff Papo and Schleich.  :-\

The last time I visited the AMNH was in 2013, but there was a decent selection of Safari available on the fourth floor gift shop. Hopefully it's still like that.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

BlueKrono

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 15, 2017, 01:18:33 AM
You mean 3-D. Although I guess 2-D could work if the whole game is made out of papercraft.

I do, and corrected. Sorry, the buttons are very small on my handheld and I won't have access to a desktop for several more weeks.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: