News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pliosaur toy by Tone Hitchcock for the Bristol Museum

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 15, 2017, 04:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

this is the only pic i know of after the bigger maquette and before the museum pics :

QuoteThanks to everyone who's shown an interest in getting the toy version of my Pliosaurus, which should shortly be on sale from Bristol Museum. We've tried to keep it as accurate as possible given the limitations of mass production, and also to keep it at a price range that suits pocket money, as it's aimed mostly at them. I'll post some pics as soon as I can.
However: if it sells well, and there is enough interest, we're hoping to be able to produce a 1:16 Collector's Edition (the toy is 1:32), which will be taken directly from the scan of my original maquette, and will be more detailed. I'll keep you informed of progress!
Here's a link to the Museum; they are happy to ship overseas, too. :)

QuoteSo, if all goes according to plan, 2,000 of these little critters should be arriving at Bristol Museum on the 23rd Aug...

compare it to these :

It might be different.. that first rear shot could be a mock up or prototype.  It's a museum exclusive souvenir for 10.00 so i'm not going to complain about it, likely the closest i'll ever get to visiting the life size one.   This one is supposed to be 1/32 .  now the  maquette is 1/16 it should look very much like the image of Tone's original.

ItsTwentyBelow

That figure in the bag is probably the same as the figure in the new pictures. It also has seams, if you look closely.

Kind of disappointing. The head has no detail. I was under the impression that this would be a scaled down copy of the nice maquette we saw earlier. Was thinking of ordering one, now probably not!

Faelrin

Glad I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet. I think I might pass for now, or at least hold off on it until later. I could excuse the seams if there was articulation, otherwise if there is none, then I think it diminishes the quality of it by having them. The head looks a bit cartoony too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

PaleoMatt

Oh... It doesn't ook as great with those seams and yea the face is quite cartoonish.

RobinGoodfellow

...guys, we're talking about a 10£ pvc toy from a gift shop, came on..  ::)

John

At around 1:30 scale,this toy should be about 9 or 10 inches long or so,roughly the length of the Tylosaurus that Safari Ltd. just released this year.
The seams may not be as noticeable at that size as they are in those large close up shots of the toy.The only thing I notice that is truly different are the redone teeth.Having it with a closed mouth would maybe have helped to get around the safety issues that the sharp pointy teeth of the original model would have likely presented.
I hope that these sell well so that the more detailed collector's version could come out too. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

terrorchicken

yeah, that seam going across where the neck & head meet, I really dont like. I do think it has a very nice color and pattern/markings. For a toy its fine, but not something I would buy considering the possible shipping cost.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Doesn't seem too different from this fellow , in regards to detail/appearance , that everyone wanted :

RobinGoodfellow

Probably two or three years from now (when the Bristol pliosaurus "Dory" will be out of stock) a lot of guys will search for it as a "rare figure" on Ebay at inflated prices...  ;)
Collectors are strange people.  ::)

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 27, 2017, 04:43:01 AM
Doesn't seem too different from this fellow , in regards to detail/appearance , that everyone wanted :

Not quite everyone wanted this one.If it had been available in the U.S. when it came out and at a reasonable price of about $10 or so,I would have maybe picked one up.But I was never willing to pay more than 10 times what it was worth on eBay.The same will most certainly be true for me of this new Bristol Museum Pliosaurus once they've been discontinued. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

for such a small amount its not a bad deal,  i just received my shipping notice.  2 pliosaurs, one coaster and a keyring  was under 50.00 with shipping.  i can't hardly buy a couple Schleichs for that locally lol

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 27, 2017, 06:11:36 PM
for such a small amount its not a bad deal,  i just received my shipping notice.  2 pliosaurs, one coaster and a keyring  was under 50.00 with shipping.  i can't hardly buy a couple Schleichs for that locally lol
Yes,it is much better to buy however many of the new Pliosaurus models you want now while they are still in production and at a good price than it is to wait years later on eBay where it will get the retired Battat and Schleich treatment when it comes to pricing. :)

DinoToyForum

Roselaar

I don't dislike what I'm getting for only 10 pounds. I'll order one for sure.

Joey

I mean for what it is, it's not a bad figure, although I won't get it shipping and in general ordering stuff outside the US is kind of a struggle these days...  :( :'(

stoneage

:) I ordered my WWD figure from On Line Hobbies UK for about 30$.  I Don't think with all the figures out there I need this one.

BlueKrono

Nice to see something without the WWD Lio coloration for once at least.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Joey

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 28, 2017, 03:09:58 AM
Nice to see something without the WWD Lio coloration for once at least.
Probably because it's not a Liopluerodon.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: John on August 27, 2017, 10:38:33 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 27, 2017, 04:43:01 AM

Not quite everyone wanted this one.If it had been available in the U.S. when it came out and at a reasonable price of about $10 or so,I would have maybe picked one up.But I was never willing to pay more than 10 times what it was worth on eBay.The same will most certainly be true for me of this new Bristol Museum Pliosaurus once they've been discontinued. :)

I was charged a lot for buying a used WWD liopleurodon about $ 100 including shipping charges for eBay earlier this year.

Roselaar

Figures, only payment via credit card. Here we go again... :(

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: