News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lanthanotus' Collection of Prehistoric Life

Started by Lanthanotus, March 21, 2017, 05:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

Halichoeres

The Saurierkampf set by Berliner Zinnfiguren! After the discussion on the Brumm thread, I purchased a set of the plants (I skipped the dinosaurs), but with international shipping right now, who knows when they will get here. Nice paint job, and a great little tableau for your entryway! They are just a bit smaller than I expected.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

That's a lovely wall display - a little work of art you have created.  I was so taken with it that I had to come upstairs and look at the photos properly on my desktop rather than peer on my little phone.  The nostalgic feel takes me back to being 7 or 8 years old again!

DinoToyForum

That looks wonderful. The layers make it look deeper than it is, as if it goes back into the wall. :))

Jose S.M.

Very nice wall diorama! That's something I would love to have on my walls.

UK

Lanthanotus

Thank you all for your kind comments.

The plants are certainly more accurate than the animals.... I may add the missing figures of "Saurierkampf" at a later date, to make a somewhat continuing "story" throughout the house :)

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Lanthanotus on June 27, 2020, 12:29:30 AM
Got somewhat hooked up by the two Brumm figures I shot on a fleamarket site and bought some still
in production pewter "dinos" and plants.
This looks amazing.
How long did it took to work on ?
For some reason it looks familiar to me - is the scene taken from any Z. Burian or other retro paleoartist of that sort ?

irimali

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on June 28, 2020, 10:01:35 PM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on June 27, 2020, 12:29:30 AM
Got somewhat hooked up by the two Brumm figures I shot on a fleamarket site and bought some still
in production pewter "dinos" and plants.
This looks amazing.
How long did it took to work on ?
For some reason it looks familiar to me - is the scene taken from any Z. Burian or other retro paleoartist of that sort ?

It kind of reminds me of this allosaurus, especially with the style of that tall cycad/tree.

https://images.app.goo.gl/yJBfE266qySHh2naA

PrimevalRaptor

Some really amazing photos here, I especially like the underwater ones (though the Sarcosuchus is also amazing!) and I love that diorama! I could spend ages looking at it, great work!

Bokisaurus

sauroid

that's an awesome retro diorama. i'd be proud to have that. congrats Lanthanotus.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

postsaurischian

:D Tasteful! Very tasteful!
       It would raise a smile from me everytime I'd enter your "entrance hall".

Lanthanotus

Thanks to you all :)

Well, the figures certainly show similarities or are inspired by the old artists, like Burian or Zallinger. They are still in production, though I am not aware when their first release date was. So the pose of the Iguanodon aswell as that of the "Megalosaurus" looks a bit like the Burian scene of a Tyrannosaurus hunting an Anatosaurus.

The diorama did not that long to complete... maybe 10 hrs in all. Painting the figures wasn`t that hard, in fact I find them easier to be painted than PVC or resin figures, though admittedly you can see that I did not spent too much effort on lighting and shadows as can often seen in those flatfigures. Neverhteless they look dimensional enough I guess. I set them up on flat ground in different ways to get a feeling for their position, measured the required space and build a wood frame from left over construction wood. The landscape is pretty straight forward.... extruded foam, white glue and sand/cocos fiber. The stones are made from plaster of paris, filled into a crumbled aluminuim foil for the rock texture and broken off after curing, they were then washed with a dark muddy brown/green. Back drop is simple paper with water color, left over glass (from my husbandry tanks) was cut and the only new thing I bought for that diorama (besides the figures obviously) were the ledgers.

CityRaptor

Wonderful little retro diorama. According to "Dinosauriana" those figures were first produced in the 1950s, making them another long running series. The author also praises the high quality of those pieces, but laments that there are only few Dinosaurs in the set, something I can agree with in both accounts. Them being inspired by Burian is most likely, given that this exists:
https://horrible-lizards.tumblr.com/post/189836493620/gameraboy1-iguanodon-attack-by-zden%C4%9Bk-burian
Rather similar to this figure from the complete set, isn't it?:
https://www.zinnfigur.com/Flachfiguren/Bemalt/Vitrinenfiguren/Tiere/Saurierkampf-mit-zwei-Sauriern.html

Your Diictodon also is adorable.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

The retro diorama has been great for you with that repainting of the one-dimensional figures, you have given them a three-dimensional effect. My congratulations Lanthanotus.

Lanthanotus

Long time no update, but today a small parcel arrived at my doorstep from a long awaited trade.
Thanks to avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon I finally have the gorgeous Battat Ouranosaurus in my collection, as of
now the only Battat from the original lineup. My son immediatly set it into a small diorama setup for some play :)

Halichoeres

Still the best after 25 or so years. Only Happy Kin has even gotten close.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Kapitaenosavrvs

Woah, fantastic Figure! I am not jealous (A Lie. Clearly.), but happy for you. Halichoeres is absolutely right. A bit too expensive for me in general, but lovely. Especially in an angle from behind, like in the Piture of the Playdiorama of your Son. Such a great and elegant Animalfigure.

SidB

Different figures from various companies and epochs of collecting. This is one of the really cool things about the DTB/DTB - the sense of depth. Getting below the surface superficiality.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: